Just Butt Ugly

The Rabbi

Well today I saw the ugliest gun I have ever seen. One of my customers is a .22 magnum freak and buys any .22wmr he can find (except mine of course). So he bought this gem and transferred it through me. It was so ugly I just had to share.

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

In case you were wondering, it is a Leinad Model 422 in .22wmr. The cylinder is manually rotated. It loads by removing the cylinder. Made right here in Ducktown TN.

If you want the tactical version with rail please see Joe at Hero Gear.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna lay off this thread now and apologize for my earlier comments. I believe we may be offending one of our members! Please stop it! Its been presented to us for months and we didn't recognize it. We are all a bunch of uncaring bastards!

Strickj, I apologize for all of us for messing with your favorite gun as depicted in your avatar. I also apologize to Elvis as he also appears to be a big fan.:)

(now he's gone and changed his durn Avatar again, joke ruined, time for bed)

Edited by Rightwinger
Doh!

Here's an interesting story from about ten years ago about Leinad:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A05E5DB153BF93BA15750C0A96E958260

BTW, the company was owned by Wayne Daniel and his (ex?) wife. Leinad is Daniel spelled backward.

They also made a five shot 410/45 Colt pistol that works like this .22.

There is also a connection to Cobray for Mr. Daniel.

Here is a legal proceeding that involves Cobray, SWD, and the Daniels:

http://ca10.washburnlaw.edu/cases/1998/02/96-8120.htm

Fascinating history. Here is a little writeup from the POS VPC. http://www.vpc.org/studies/smalrpb.htm

According to a 1989 article by Ron Taylor in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the history of SWD, Inc. begins in 1978 with the acquisition of Military Armament Corporation's parent company, RPB, and the rights to the MAC-10 fully automatic assault pistol by Wayne Daniel and his partner John Carpenter. Carpenter was soon convicted of trying to bribe a prosecutor to get him to drop a drug charge against a client. Two other partners in the company were accused of smuggling more than two tons of marijuana into Florida. One fled the country; the other was sentenced to 30 years.

Wayne Daniel went on to manufacture a semi-automatic version of the MAC-10, which led to his first confrontation with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). The agency approved the assault pistol, but reassessed its position following reports that it was easily converted to full-auto. In 1982 ATF banned it. Daniel sued and lost. At the end of the dispute, Daniel dissolved RPB and created SWD, Inc. and placed it in the hands of his ex-wife Sylvia. SWD is an acronym for Sylvia and Wayne Daniel.

In 1985 the Daniels were indicted on 12 charges of illegally selling parts to manufacture silencers for submachine guns. The Daniels were eventually fined $1,400 after pleading no contest to misdemeanor charges of not paying proper taxes on the parts.

Ads for the MAC-11 dubbed it "The Gun That Made the '80s Roar." The gun was cheap—$200 to $300—easy to conceal, and could be fitted with a 32-round magazine. SWD also manufactured the Street Sweeper, a 12-gauge, semi-automatic, 12-round, revolving cylinder shotgun—complete with folding stock and pistol grips. One ad for the gun warned, "It's a Jungle Out There! There Is A Disease And We've Got The Cure." For only $395 the ad advised, "Make you [sic] streets safe and clean with the help of 'The Street Sweeper'!"

MAC/SWD/Cobray were sued in 1998 by a man who suffered severe injuries when a shell manufactured and sold by Cobray exploded when the victim fired a MAC/SWD/Cobray flare launcher.