Thinking about changing carry gun

Guest Rysaber

Guest Rysaber

Hey guys I am thinking about changing my carry gun. I am currently carrying a Springfield XD9 SC and I am debating on going to a Colt defender/New Agent 9mm 1911, Taurus 1911 9mm 5" barrel, or a Springfield EMP 9mm. I have fired the Springfield EMP 9mm feel in love with it, but not the price on it. Has anyone fired the others and can compare the trigger pull with an EMP or just a regular 1911?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carter

i think kimber has an all black carry II for around 7 and some change... would be the least price wise out of the compact 1911's you've chosen, the taurus is a big hunk to lug around...but a nice piece

I haven't shot one of the Springfield EMPs but I want one, it's dead sexy. I'm guessing it would be easier to conceal than my Glock 23, but I like the ammo capacity on my Glock better. I'm also not a fan of the manual safety, but I wouldn't carry a single action with the safety off.

Hey guys I am thinking about changing my carry gun. I am currently carrying a Springfield XD9 SC and I am debating on going to a Colt defender/New Agent 9mm 1911, Taurus 1911 9mm 5" barrel, or a Springfield EMP 9mm. I have fired the Springfield EMP 9mm feel in love with it, but not the price on it. Has anyone fired the others and can compare the trigger pull with an EMP or just a regular 1911?

Just wondering why you want to change. Apparently not the caliber.

+1 for the EMP. I have carried one for about a year. Most people that I know end up sending them back to SA to get the feedramp polished and the chamber opened up a little (for free). After that, they are Glock-reliable with hollow points. None of this is necessary if you only shoot FMJs (not likely). I'm not crazy about the sights (I'm very picky about sights), but it's an otherwise fine carry piece. I carried a G19 or 23, but wanted something easier to carry. I had developed a bad habit of getting lazy and just throwing a j-frame in my pocket. About the same time, I switched from Glocks to 1911s in IDPA, so I wanted to carry the same platform. The EMP made sense and I'm happy with it. Ditto what Dolomite said--the 1911 trigger can easily be modified without even breaking out a file or stone. I don't have any personal experience with one, but I've never read anything good about the Colt Defender. I do have experience with Kimbers, and will never own another one.

Guest Rysaber
Just wondering why you want to change. Apparently not the caliber.

The reason for the changes is simple, while I am working on my accuracy with my XD9, I feel in love with the Springfield EMP. It happened while I owned a Bresa Thunder UC9, at a range when a friend of mine let me shoot his. I was a lot more accurate with it than I have been with Bresa. So I may thoughts are maybe I would do better with a 1911 9mm it may fit my hand better, and be more comfortable carrying it. It still an ongoing debate in my head so it not a sure thing yet.

Like Carter said, a 5" gun can be a lot to carry, especially when going from a XD9SC. I like the EMP too, but it's a bit too expensive for my tastes. Another ditto on the trigger. The 1911 is customizable in every way in the book, so get the one that fits both your hand and your budget and get that trigger work done if you need it.

Guest Rysaber

alright so I have been told today that the Taurus does not hold it value so I may not go with that one just yet. I may save up and go with the EMP or see if another company out there makes 1911 in a 9mm. Any Suggestions of companies I should look at?

I carried a Colt Gov't Model for several years both on and off duty and have owned Colt Commanders and Officer Models as well. At this stage of the game if someone asks for a recommendation I suggest a Glock 36, it's Glock 19/23 etc size but thinner. FWIW it's far more comfortable in my hand than any other Glock model and I carry a G22 & 27 due to regulations. FWIW the G36 is an absolute ***** cat to shoot as well with remarkably little felt recoil, I like it quite a bit.

Guest bdp07

SW1911 Sub Compact Pro Series

I got this a couple weeks ago after I got tried of carry my commander size 1911. This is a 3" .45auto, very accurate gun as well.

IMAG0197.jpg

First, I am a huge fan of the SA XDsc's . I have shot the .40, and it will likely be my next purchase.

Second, I am very careful about changing the manual of arms of my carry guns, with one exception (the Kahr PM9). I have two carry rotations, one based on the 1911, the other based on the HK MOA.

The HK is my primary rotation. When possible, I carry either a USP Compact 45, or a HK 45C. Both are Variant 1's. When I need something a little smaller, I have a P2000SK Light LEM 9mm. I can use the same holsters for all three, but had to choose carefully.

I also have a 1911 rotation, but will practice before putting it in play. I don't like to switch back and forth, without practice. I have 5", 4.25", and 3.5" 1911s that I carry based on a variety of factors.

I am not crazy about throwing the Kahr into the mix, but like having the option when needed.

The SA EMP has, from what I can tell, have a great reputation. The issues that I have seen can easily be fixed with a little "fluff and buff".

I would stay away from most of the other 3" 1911 variants. IMHO, you see a lot more issues with the shorter barreled 1911 variants than you do with Commander style and full-size offerings. My experience bears this out, but there are always exceptions.

If you are serious about carrying a .45, then I would look at something like the Sig C3. There may be a few other similar options on the market,so it may be worth exploring. It is very similar to the old Colt CCO, and is a great carry option. Commander length slide, and an Office length receiver. I am in the process of reliability testing a C3, and so far it has been flawless. Time will tell. I have high hopes that it will be the perfect carry gun for my purposes.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Glock G30SF is an incredible platform. 10+1 rounds of .45ACP in a fairly small package is pretty hard to beat.

Guest friesepferd

hahaha.

im actually in the process of switching my carry gun from the kimber ultra aegis (very similar to the emp) to the springfield XDm9c.

any 1911 is going to have an awesome trigger compaired to something like an XD, in my opinion.

1911s are great guns, and fine to carry, so go for it!

advantages: better trigger, much thinner

disadvantages: may be more finnicky, heavier if you go with steel (i wouldnt), and less rounds

If you want a small 9mm 1911, the kimber ultra aegis and the emp are the only choices I would suggest. If you are fine with the 45, you have a lot of options.

I would stick with a 3" or 4" barrel and an alloy frame for sure though if you are going to carry.

I carry the CZ Rami 9mm. It has been a rock solid firearm, digesting every round of crappy range ammo that I can find. It is the all metal frame decocker model with 10 and 14 round magazines and is easily concealed in my Crossbreed holster. I think they make a poly frame model now. Give it a look if you are not set on a 1911 look-a-like that needs to be tuned to satisfy you.

hahaha.

im actually in the process of switching my carry gun from the kimber ultra aegis (very similar to the emp) to the springfield XDm9c.

any 1911 is going to have an awesome trigger compaired to something like an XD, in my opinion.

1911s are great guns, and fine to carry, so go for it!

advantages: better trigger, much thinner

disadvantages: may be more finnicky, heavier if you go with steel (i wouldnt), and less rounds

If you want a small 9mm 1911, the kimber ultra aegis and the emp are the only choices I would suggest. If you are fine with the 45, you have a lot of options.

I would stick with a 3" or 4" barrel and an alloy frame for sure though if you are going to carry.

I have the XDm40 full size. Wish I had waited for the compact. Other than that, no

complaints. Full size is just a bit heavy & bulky for carry, especially concealed.

Heck of a gun tho.

Hey Grunt, Tropic Lightning!

Im betting he is just like me and is bored with his perfectly reliable, perfectly accurate fine carry piece.:)

LOL, Well, that's been known to happen. Happened to me a few times. One of the reasons

I was curious why the trade.

You Tropic Lightning too?