HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have MsKnights email addy? I looked on the gov website but all it had listed was some phone numbers. I was gonna send her a email to see if my stuff was back.

I have it, since she emailed me personally once, but I don't think it's cool to just post it publicy, since it's not listed anywhere on tn gov site, but if you email the commissioner directly, they forward it to her. This info IS on the TN DOS site:

Commissioner

Tennessee Department of Safety

1150 Foster Avenue

Nashville, TN 37243

Phone: 615-251-5166

Email.Safety@state.tn.us

- OS

Okay, as of Thursday, I can actually now carry legally.

I have some other thoughts, lessons learned about this whole process, that I'll share in another post soon.

Btw, I broke tradition and carried at Kroger first official stop.

Ammo selection there sucks, though.

Matter of fact, first couple days, I carried TWO guns, even though I won't be carrying a BUG in general. Just wanted to make up for lost time or something, I guess. :koolaid:

- OS

Guest eyebedam
Okay, as of Thursday, I can actually now carry legally.

I have some other thoughts, lessons learned about this whole process, that I'll share in another post soon.

- OS

Looking forward to that post.

Today is a great day, my card arrived in the mail and I have joined the swelling ranks of permit holders. I'm still in shock that it took exactly 30 days from turning my paperwork in, until I had it in my hand. Guess I'll have to make the obligatory Wal-Mart visit now!

:cool:

Be sure to update your profile. I made my Wal-mart trip, was carrying my .38 near 1:30. Some call appendix carry. Anyway, I changed position to 4:00-4:30 for comfort and due to I went to my right front pocket for some change and exposed my gun. The guy behind me said nothing, but I think he may have seen it.

Guest unreconstructed1
Three weeks is enough time. I would call them around day 21 and have your yellow application copy readily available.

thanks, I'll plan to call Friday then.:shrug:

• Administrator

My wife has called about her permit at least three times in the past month. We are now at day 91, so I have sent a complaint by email to the Commissioner of the Dept of Safety and will be sending it by US Mail as well.

When she called a month ago, she was told that everything was OK except they were waiting on her HCP class certificate to be scanned into the system. She was told that if we faxed a copy of the cert to them, they would go ahead and issue it. So we did.

A few weeks passed, and nothing came in the mail. She called again and was informed that the girl who told her that (Jennifer) must have misplaced the faxed copy. She was told to fax it again and she would have it within 10 days. That was almost two weeks ago. Now we are past the 90 days during which the State MUST issue the permit by their own regulations. So she'll be calling again today.

Guest unreconstructed1
Why wait give em a call today. It cant hurt
well, I don't want to seem like an A-hole....

ok, that's a lie, I am an a-hole, but not to people who control how long it takes to get my HCP...

well ya'll, I'm currently on day 16 myself. how long should I wait before calling the TNDOS and making an inquiry?

You can call, but it's not going to do any good. They won't even take your call seriously until at least 6 weeks. At that point, they told me about the backlog and to give it 3 more weeks then call back. Until I was at 90 days, nobody would even give me a status report. It took 98 days to get to me. Some have gone much faster, but at 16 days, you might as well hold your horses and keep doing the walk everyday.:rolleyes:

Guest bkelm18
You can call, but it's not going to do any good. They won't even take your call seriously until at least 6 weeks. At that point, they told me about the backlog and to give it 3 more weeks then call back. Until I was at 90 days, nobody would even give me a status report. It took 98 days to get to me. Some have gone much faster, but at 16 days, you might as well hold your horses and keep doing the walk everyday.:rolleyes:

There have been a couple people on here that have gotten theirs in under 30 days because they called. Can't hurt nothin.

I got mine in 31 days earlier this year. That's 31 days from paperwork to permit in hand. I did call once after 27 days. I got the standard issue "it was issued today" message.

This was back in Feb/Mar -- which is about the time the news started their expose on the DOS.

Guest unreconstructed1

so basically you were told to wait until AFTER they had broken the law? considering the fact that we are discussing a gov't agency, that doesn't say a whole lot for them...

Guest eyebedam
My wife has called about her permit at least three times in the past month. We are now at day 91, so I have sent a complaint by email to the Commissioner of the Dept of Safety and will be sending it by US Mail as well.

When she called a month ago, she was told that everything was OK except they were waiting on her HCP class certificate to be scanned into the system. She was told that if we faxed a copy of the cert to them, they would go ahead and issue it. So we did.

A few weeks passed, and nothing came in the mail. She called again and was informed that the girl who told her that (Jennifer) must have misplaced the faxed copy. She was told to fax it again and she would have it within 10 days. That was almost two weeks ago. Now we are past the 90 days during which the State MUST issue the permit by their own regulations. So she'll be calling again today.

So any good news for your wife? On another topic you were searching for some factory pink j frame grips for her. Did you ever find any & if so could you lmk where. I have a friend looking for some for his wife.

so basically you were told to wait until AFTER they had broken the law? considering the fact that we are discussing a gov't agency, that doesn't say a whole lot for them...

6 weeks and 3 additional weeks is only 9 weeks. 90 days is 12 weeks or there abouts. No law broke there. However, it was 8 days after the 90 when it finally came.

• Administrator
So any good news for your wife? On another topic you were searching for some factory pink j frame grips for her. Did you ever find any & if so could you lmk where. I have a friend looking for some for his wife.

Funny you should ask about the HCP. No. She called today and after giving them the 3rd Degree about having exceeded the 90 day window, they promised her that it was being issued today and [wait for it... wait for iiiit...] she would have it within 7-10 days. :)

They have been promising her 7-10s for the past six weeks. I sent my nasty letter to the Commissioner via certified mail this afternoon and included a copy to my State Representative also by certified mail.

As for the grips, no to that as well. Smith & Wesson sold me a set but then never charged my card or shipped any to me. The last time I talked to them about the grips, I was told that they were part of a special production run for a major distributor and were not available for sale separately nor would they be anytime soon.

Smith & Wesson's repair service seems to be run by a completely different caliber of personnel than their parts and accessories department. The former gives great customer service. The latter seems to be unable to find their asses with both hands.

me and my wife went and did our class together on a thursday and friday and she went and did the driverslicense and fingerprinting that following monday 4/21/08 i went about 3to4weeks later idrivetruck for aliving soihad trouble get up there during the week anyways we just got them 3 weeks ago they can in aday apart so iguess it took us about 3 months to get ours

Guest bkelm18
me and my wife went and did our class together on a thursday and friday and she went and did the driverslicense and fingerprinting that following monday 4/21/08 i went about 3to4weeks later idrivetruck for aliving soihad trouble get up there during the week anyways we just got them 3 weeks ago they can in aday apart so iguess it took us about 3 months to get ours

Hooked on Phonics is everyone's friend. :up: Just yankin yer chain. Welcome to the site.

• Administrator

Just as an update, my wife called about hers on Friday -- the day after she was told that they would issue it -- and was told rather impatiently that they had issued it on Thursday and it had gone out in the mail.

So we'll see if it actually shows up or not. :rolleyes:

We're technically on Day #97 or so now.