HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple that lives across the street from me took their class together and mailed the applications on the same day. Hers took 4 weeks and his took 10 weeks. He has been through Federal Background checks because he does work at airports and such. I kept teasing him by telling him not to worry, "I'm sure she'll protect you!"

Guest HexHead

I spoke to a nice lady at the Dept of Safety. My paperwork went in the end of Feb., with my permit expiring at the end of May. She said she would send me out a "temporary permit" to use until my renewal finishes processing. She said they have a FOUR MONTH backlog.

Thanks Channel 5. ;(

Me and my dad did it as a pair.

Both did the class same day same time same class.

I was in front of him in line at the DOT to do the paper work.

He was in front of me in line doing the fingerprints.

That was on Feb the 4th

I got mine March 28th, he got his May the 3rd.

1 day short of 90 days for him.

Was a fun Father / Son thing. Maybe one of the last in our lifetimes.

Seems like renewals are getting the shaft here. I know at least one person that has applied and received first time permit within the time period I've been waiting on my renewal. I wonder if new permits have priority over renewals or something.

I know they say I will get a temporary permit if mine expires during the wait, and that the copy I have from the DL station will also serve as permit...but I can't help but worry that I've been lost in the paperwork shuffle or something. :)

Guest HexHead
Seems like renewals are getting the shaft here. I know at least one person that has applied and received first time permit within the time period I've been waiting on my renewal. I wonder if new permits have priority over renewals or something.

I know they say I will get a temporary permit if mine expires during the wait, and that the copy I have from the DL station will also serve as permit...but I can't help but worry that I've been lost in the paperwork shuffle or something. :screwy:

I guess they only have to process the new applications within the 90 day time frame. Renewals will just take as long as they take.

I didn't get the impression I would have gotten the temporary permit as a matter of course without my calling to check on the status.

I guess they only have to process the new applications within the 90 day time frame. Renewals will just take as long as they take.

I didn't get the impression I would have gotten the temporary permit as a matter of course without my calling to check on the status.

I agree...new permits have a statutory time limit renewals do not...so new permits probably do have priority. Bet when they never though when they allowed renewals up to 6 months before expiration that it may not be enough time...lol

If you go to a DL station to renew your permit, you get a receipt that is valid as permit till your renewal comes in, if you renew by mail, you have to hope it comes in before the expiration of your old. In the past not a real problem, but now that is why the issue the letters to those who call and ask.

Guest nraforlife

TN Constitution

§ 26. Weapons; right to bear arms That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

A right is NOT a right if you have to pay for it. That said IF we are forced to jump through the loops to 'legally' carry, the HCP should be changed to a Handgun Carry ID and should be permanent.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Took mine exactly 9 weeks to get here. Finally woooooohhhhhooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, here's hoping that mine shows up soon. Tomorrow will make ten weeks. :D