Any idea what this is?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing well pump. It looks like the pipe coming through the outside block wall is the supply line.

The horizontal line moves water from the pump to the tank,

The vertical line from the tank feeds water up to the house.

The veritcal pipe on the left looks like an electrical conduit to power the pump.

Another option is "hot water heater" either for hot water use or for a radiator system, but I don't see how that device on the left has any heating element.

Edited by monkeylizard
Steam powered well pump maybe?

+1 Looks like a steam powered pump of some sort.

Might be worth some $$ for the right buyer. Neat to see stuff like this restored to working order. The antique tractor crowd might know more.

Guest monkeyhumper

My parents have one nearly identical in their basement. Well pump, yep yep.

The tank has a bladder in it to keep pipes from knocking, and it helps to ensure steady and even water pressure.

It's a steam powered battery for a Tardis. It was an effective tool used in the dark ages for time traveling. Also known as a "Wibbly Wobbly Timey-Wimey Steamy Thingy". Think of it as uranium for the modern day fulx capacitor.

It can also be used to decrab Finnish dwarfs.

True story! :death:

Edited by strickj
Jed Clampett's first oil rig, or maybe Granny's still

+1

Ask Rick on Pawn Stars, he will call in an Expert, give you a history lesson, tell you all about how someone devalued it, then insult you with an offer.

I notice the pressure gauge on the tank does NOT read zero. Is the tank still holding pressure or is the gauge broken?

There's a logo on the tank, if you can read it, google it. You might also find a manufacturer's data plate with some info that might be interesting to google.

It is an electric water pump of some sort. The tank is a pressure tank so there is no drop in the pipes. Without the pressure tank when you turn the facet on you would have to wait for the water, When the pressure in the tank drops a bit the electric motor kicks on to pressurize the tank or to continue to pump water.

I have the same setup, although more modern, on my well.

Dolomite

You know... I don't know. And now I'm kinda scared to find out...

Not enough pressure to really hurt anything if it did fail. If I remember correctly it should be 30 pounds or less and the tank isn't that big. If you are that worried about it take a wrench to a fitting and loosen it to allow the pressure to relieve itself slowly. Could be that if you have city water that it is still going through those lines. If that is the case the pressure is normal.

Dolomite

it's a water pump with storage tank...the pump shaft is shiny so it works...if it goes to a well you could use it to water a garden and not have to pay for that kind of water...unless you're in the country. It'll probably leak...repack it. It's pretty old...it's NOT a steam pump and it's not part of the Tartus...mine doesn't have one.

Edited by bajabuc

I have a more modern version of it. Mine is a water pressure booster pump. Due to living on a hill the pressure is low from the city supply. Around 22 pounds.

My pump increases it to 60 pounds.

So it's more modern than I thought. That's a little disappointing as I find old stuff like that really neat. Anyway... What does the gauge read? Verify if it's still connected to the house before you crack loose a fitting. Once you get one loose, you may not be able to tighten it back.

Turn the water on in a couple places in the house and check to see if water is flowing through those lines. If possible, you can simply follow the plumbing to see where it goes. If it is still plumbed into the house, it's really not hurting anything as long as the pipes are still in good shape. I think it would be a fairly simple re-plumbing project to remove it if you so desire.