Moving to Memphis area

Guest TheRev.

Guest TheRev.

Hey all,

I'm moving to Memphis in August and had some questions for some of you locals.

- gun ranges?

- Good Christian Churches?

- good BBQ?, been to Rendezvous and Corkies

- other advise for Memphis noob...

My fam and I are relocating and all we have there is my wife's family. no job yet but I will be looking for a good place to serve in the ministry as i am a youth pastor currently. This is a really big move for us into the unknown so any thoughts are welcome

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before all the Memphis bashing starts let me say it is a great place, has it's problems just like any other metro area in this state or any other, but you can make a fine life there. Plenty of good Christains and chuches, BBQ aplenty, shooting opportunities not so great. Stay out of certain areas and you will be fine (just like anywhere else).

There are a couple of indoor ranges and one private outdoor range that you must be a member of to use. Initiation fee is extravagant...for good reason.

I'll leave it at that. Was born and raised there and although most of my family is still there, not me because I got a job in K-Town right after UT and just stayed.

Where are you relocating from?

I lived in collierville for about 20 years. Arlington for about 2

I love the cvill-germantown but access to memphis area was always a big ordeal. Of course that was when the nonconna parkway had not been completed yet.

when I was 22 I bought a house in Arlington TN. Loved it. quick access to 40. 20 minutes away from Collierville, 10 minutes from malls and shopping.

alrington was the best value in terms of price and the ability to be in civilization without civilization being to crowded.

We moved from Memphis about 25 years ago. I couldn't say too much for it then, but we've often thought of a day trip back to visit all the sites (new and old).

You be absolutely terrific there as it's all what you make of your surroundings.

Oh, the best bbq I had there was out of my own backyard. No bias of course. :-)

Rock on brother!

Range USA, Memphis Shooting Sports Association. Can't comment on churches but there are a lot of them. And there are also a lot of BBQ places. Memphis can be an interesting place. Sometimes I love it. Sometimes I hate it.

Guest TheRev.

coming in from WV. so after a brief landing at the in-laws, and i mean brief, lol. we are open to anything, the in-laws are in collierville but anywhere an hour or so from there is cool.

im more rural and would like land to spread out a bit and still be 20 min from a mall

Edited by TheRev.
Guest clownsdd
Before all the Memphis bashing starts let me say it is a great place, has it's problems just like any other metro area in this state or any other, but you can make a fine life there. Plenty of good Christains and chuches, BBQ aplenty, shooting opportunities not so great. Stay out of certain areas and you will be fine (just like anywhere else).

There are a couple of indoor ranges and one private outdoor range that you must be a member of to use. Initiation fee is extravagant...for good reason.

I'll leave it at that. Was born and raised there and although most of my family is still there, not me because I got a job in K-Town right after UT and just stayed.

Well put, at least we admit our problems.

A particular christian religion you are looking for would be helpful to know what you are looking for.......jm3c

Guest TheRev.
Well put, at least we admit our problems.

A particular christian religion you are looking for would be helpful to know what you are looking for.......jm3c

Thanx, im not really the denominational type even though "non-denominational" has become a denomination of sorts, but i have been on staff at an Assembly of God church, FWIW.

im just in the picking out an area stage, so memphis is just an area for all thats worth but im def. not a .25 acre guy more like 1 to 10 depends what i can afford

Good details. Memphis is a good place to live. Most of the people that bash it never lived here or may have had some type of misfortune befall them, but Memphis offers plenty of everything that you are looking for except outdoor shooting ranges.

I have no idea of who you are or what your background is but I would only live east of Cleveland, north of Central and south of North Parkway/Summer and be wary of several small areas within. Go as far east in those bounds as you like.

There is a killler house for sale near me. It is on 5 acres with access to a lake. Just a couple of miles from the Shelby Forest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=St+paul+rd+millington+tn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87d5878aefebd72f:0x53e3da6dfff2901f,St+Paul+Rd,+Millington,+TN+38053&gl=us&ei=_CvPTaPpF5KWtwetz-TzDQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

Edited by Curiousgb
coming in from WV. so after a brief landing at the in-laws, and i mean brief, lol. we are open to anything, the in-laws are in collierville but anywhere an hour or so from there is cool.

im more rural and would like land to spread out a bit and still be 20 min from a mall

If you are interested in acreage you may want to look at Fayette or Tipton Counties.

Guest TheRev.

i was trying to think of the commissary and what it was called but that one has been the best i've had so far by a wide margin. thanx M4sherman

no problem. I take pride in stopping at every two bit BBQ joint I see. There is also on in savanna TN that is the bomb but it is an hour and a half away :)

as for the rest of you bit. most of the town is better than people make it out to be as long as you dont go where you feel you shouldn't.

Fayette county is also becoming more accessible with 385 coming through

no problem. I take pride in stopping at every two bit BBQ joint I see. There is also on in savanna TN that is the bomb but it is an hour and a half away :cool:

as for the rest of you bit. most of the town is better than people make it out to be as long as you dont go where you feel you shouldn't.

Fayette county is also becoming more accessible with 385 coming through

as much as I am happy to be out of Memphis I miss it equally. The memphis area has such character and such quality and depth of places to eat.

Honestly, you can't hardly go wrong with any bbq place in Memphis. I've never been to one I regretted.

I love Memphis. I'm one of the stay and try and make things better camp. Unfortunately, there aren't enough us but there are a few.

If acreage is what you seek, and I don't blame you, then I would suggest Tipton County. Fayette is closer to better parts of Memphis but the prices out there are inflated compared to the same type of land/home in Tipton.

• Moderators
Honestly, you can't hardly go wrong with any bbq place in Memphis. I've never been to one I regretted.

I love Memphis. I'm one of the stay and try and make things better camp. Unfortunately, there aren't enough us but there are a few.

If acreage is what you seek, and I don't blame you, then I would suggest Tipton County. Fayette is closer to better parts of Memphis but the prices out there are inflated compared to the same type of land/home in Tipton.

:P

Guest db99wj

I haven't had "bad" BBQ, just different. I've been to some of the "best" places and got subpar, due to being dry or something, but other times it has been great. They are opening/building a Gus's about a block from me, not a good thing.....for my waistline anyway!

Can't really add much to what has been said, I'm happy out here in East Memphis. My life revolves around my Church and kids school, St. Louis Catholic Church and School. Live about a mile and half away, work about a mile and a half away, all things we do are withing a few miles of it.

There are A LOT of great things about Memphis, but it seems to be constantly overshadowed by some of the negatives. Seems like Memphis has an inferiority complex and its hard to get away from it. Like I said, lots of good things going on here. With the new Mayor AC Wharton, and Shelby County Mark Luttrell, it seems like a lot of things are moving in the right direction. A former mayor was one of the main reasons Memphis was getting the bad attention it was getting. He was the key figure in our problems. He's gone.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
I haven't had "bad" BBQ, just different. I've been to some of the "best" places and got subpar, due to being dry or something, but other times it has been great. They are opening/building a Gus's about a block from me, not a good thing.....for my waistline anyway!

While you raise a lot of good points, let me just say: I can't believe how quickly they threw that building up! It's like the thing went up in a week. Maybe it just seems that way because I don't pass through there all that often, but damn if I wasn't shocked at how fast it went from empty to a legit structure.

Guest db99wj
While you raise a lot of good points, let me just say: I can't believe how quickly they threw that building up! It's like the thing went up in a week. Maybe it just seems that way because I don't pass through there all that often, but damn if I wasn't shocked at how fast it went from empty to a legit structure.

Not much commercial construction going on, plenty of workers!! I can't wait!