S&W Model 59

Caster

First hand experience with this model and it's constituents?

I just traded for a Marlin Camp 9 that uses the S&W model 59 magazine and I thought well shoot!!!! I need to look into getting a handgun to match the rifle, yeah?

If the handgun is decent, it would make quite the nice little patrol package I think.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Model 59 (Avatar). Any of the first, second, or third gen mags are interchangeable. I bought mine new in the '70's. Don't see many 59's around anymore, but you see a lot of third generation. not familiar with the model numbers off hand.

I have a 39, which is the single stack father of the 59. It is a fine handgun. Although I personally don't care for the wide doublestack grip, the 59 should otherwise be a fine gun as well. If you get a nice one, and take care of it, I believe it'll be a good investment as well as a good shooter.

The 59's were the hot item back in the late 70's. I'd feel comfortable carrying one today.

Be sure to check the recoil buffer on your Camp 9. The factory originals have a way of disintegrating inside the receiver. There is a good aftermarket buffer available now.

The 59's were the hot item back in the late 70's. I'd feel comfortable carrying one today.

Be sure to check the recoil buffer on your Camp 9. The factory originals have a way of disintegrating inside the receiver. There is a good aftermarket buffer available now.

I'm going to a concert Sat, so I will pick it up at my buddy's house sunday. First thing when I get it home will be a full tear down and detailed cleaning/inspection you can bet on it. Gotta slug the bore too while I got it down. You know I won't be putting many jacketed bullets down this one.:D

The 59 is a great pistol. Mine mostly stays in the safe now, but not because I don't like shooting it as well as some of my other pistols. it has an alloy frame, so it's fairly light for its vintage.

I knew you'd be along to comment. I've been looking at a later model on the chain I suppose. It's all stainless. I'm not sure how I'd like the alloy frame. No prejudice against the material, just in this case, I think I'd like the stainless model better.

I knew you'd be along to comment. I've been looking at a later model on the chain I suppose. It's all stainless. I'm not sure how I'd like the alloy frame. No prejudice against the material, just in this case, I think I'd like the stainless model better.

Yep. That's a later generation. Best I can remember, when the 59 was out, your only choice was black. I have a 3rd generation too. There's not much difference in the feel of the two guns.

My uncle has one that I took home and looked over/cleaned for him because it was jamming. After a good cleaning I took it to the range, it is definitely a sweet shooter. I thought the magazine kind of sucked though, real hard to get that last round in there.

My uncle has one that I took home and looked over/cleaned for him because it was jamming. After a good cleaning I took it to the range, it is definitely a sweet shooter. I thought the magazine kind of sucked though, real hard to get that last round in there.

You know it's only a 14 round mag, right?

You know it's only a 14 round mag, right?

Yeah. 13 was tough, that 14th didn't want to go in. Disassembled and cleaned/inspected the mag. It seemed okay. The gun was not well taken care of but I got most of the rust off the slide and mag.

Guest Bluemax

I am a bg fan of the old Smith Auto's. I have both a model 39 and a model 59 and am sure you will like either one. Personally, I like the model 39 the best because of the slimmer grip not to mention the old school blued finish

I have a M39 and a M59 also. I bought the M59 brand new in 1979. While I appreciated the lightness and decent double-action trigger, the grip design was awful to me. After many thousands of rounds through the excellent M39, I never did get used to the different grip angle and straight backstrap of the M59. Others really like the grip design, so make your own mind up about it.

The lock-up design is not as inherently accurate as other competing designs (CZ75, SIG, etc). Accuracy seems to vary a good bit between guns as a result. Even the worst of them are sufficient for normal duty use, though.

I retired my M59 when I got my first CZ75 (1981). The CZ75 was so far superior a weapon to me (accuracy, ergonomics, design) that I just quit taking the Smith to the range. But I still think the S&W 59 is also a far superior weapon to any Ruger 9mm.

Owned both a Model 39 & 59 in the early to mid 1970's, the M-39 had great point shooting ergonomic's but a terrible trigger. As for the M-59 it was from the first issue year, other than it's bulk and trigger pull it was fine, I just couldn't grow to like it enough. The 5906 is a much more refined pistol, the one's I've handled and shot had much better trigger pull's and ran more smoothly. In fact the DA only model I tried was so smooth I couldn't believe it was a S&W, I accused the owner of having had an action job done on it. The thing to remember with the S&W M-39 and M-59 is that they predate the Beretta M-92 and were the first post war commercial pistol's utilizing the Walther P-38 DA/SA action. It was such a close copy they had the same gritty, heavy trigger pull as the P-38. I doubt I'd ever purchase another M-59 but will say the M-59 magazine is amoung the best on the market and I'd willingly use it in a Sub 2000 or like 9mm long gun.

I had a 59 back in the day and have a Marlin Camp 9 still. I bought a bunch of the magazines, even the extended magazines to use with the Camp 9. I loved the S&W and regret selling it but, at the time I was using +P+ carry ammunition and was afraid of excessive wear so I went to the Sig 226. I'd love to have any of the 59's incarnations back.

Got a 5906. LOVE to shoot it. Don't so much love to carry it IWB or OWB ... ... makes me lean to one side. :rock:

Shoulder holster ain't so bad (with a good quality rig).

Same here. It was my duty weapon back in the mid-80's. I still love to shoot it. Shoots smooth as butter.

Bud's has a deal on a shipment of them. Half of what I paid for mine. Might pick up another.

Same here. It was my duty weapon back in the mid-80's. I still love to shoot it. Shoots smooth as butter.

Bud's has a deal on a shipment of them. Half of what I paid for mine. Might pick up another.

Thanks for the tip. I went to Bud's website and bought one. It should be at Blue Line by next Wednesday and I'll pick it up on my way back from court. Great price, free shipping. This one's stainless, too. My old one wasn't.

Guest Ugrey

If you want a S&W model 59, get a 3rd generation model 5906. They are all stainless steel and make GREAT house guns. Get night sights and a Smith or Mec Gar 20 round magazine and let the bump in the night worry about you. If you think you might want to carry it, get a 5903, full size, with an aluminium frame, or a cut down 6906 with aluminium frame. The double action/single action trigger can be learned, and is really a very safe system. DO NOT get a fist generation model 59 or even a second generation 659. The 3rd generation are MUCH better. The gunsmith DVD is well worth the price, as these pistols are a bit complicated internally. Field stripping is okay, but for anything more, get the DVD. I also own a pair of Kel Tec P11s as back up guns, so I just usually carry one spare 15 round mag that fits both guns. Try GunBroker or Buds. These pistols are fairly common.

Thanks for the tip. I went to Bud's website and bought one. It should be at Blue Line by next Wednesday and I'll pick it up on my way back from court. Great price, free shipping. This one's stainless, too. My old one wasn't.

I'm fighting the urge...