Hearing Protection?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I've been happy with Howard Leight electronic muffs. If they are turned up all the way, in between shots I can hear people's conversations down on the other end of the range. They ain't broke in a couple years use and didn't cost all that much.

I have Peltor Tac 6's and just picked up a set of Redhead (Bass Pro's rebranded Radians). The Tac 6's have been junk since I got them, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The Redheads are a lot better, but SUPER tight to begin with. I had to leave them on a coffee can for about a week to get the headband to loosen up enough to be comfortable.

If I'd quit buying other junk, I'd drop the money into a pair of MSA Sordin Supremes or Pro Ears Gold. In that order. Another option that I'm looking into is the EARinc Inst-molds with the baffle inserts, but I haven't taken the time to find an audiologist to get the molds done.

Mac

Guest friesepferd

electronic ear muffs, in my opinion are well worth it!

I have a nice pair for myself, and a cheaper pair or two for people I bring along shooting.

The main difference in price in my opinion is the quality in sound.

My nice ones, Everything sounds just like I wasnt wearing earmuffs and they work great.

The cheaper ones, you can here everything fine, but the difference with them is it really does sound like the sounds are coming though a microphone and speaker (which they are).

I'll check when I get home what brands I have, but they all work find for what you need them for.

Also, when getting them, consider the width. If you want to shoot rifle, make sure to get some slim ones, else your earmuffs might bonk into the gun and not let you line yourself up right.

I've been using the Harbor Freight electronic muffs for the past five years. They are cheap enough to have a couple sets around. While the name-brand ones are undeniable nicer, for $30 it's hard to beat these. Especially if you use a discount coupon (20% off in American Rifleman) and get them for less!

Guest Lester Weevils
I've been using the Harbor Freight electronic muffs for the past five years. They are cheap enough to have a couple sets around. While the name-brand ones are undeniable nicer, for $30 it's hard to beat these. Especially if you use a discount coupon (20% off in American Rifleman) and get them for less!

Thanks 1gewehr. Will take a look next time in Harbor Freight.

I bought some electronic muffs from harbor freight a few years back, but it sounds like maybe mine was a different product. They worked OK if I would baby them and I got my moneys worth out of them for power saws and wood router type use.

The ones I got were ultra-cheap, less than $10 IIRC. Cheaper than most non-electronic muffs. You really had to baby them because internally they looked like they had been assembled by a monkey. The battery terminals were some kind of tin-can metal and I had to carefully bend them just right every time changing batteries.

Just sayin, if anybody buys some from harbor freight, if they see a model for incredibly cheap, it will probably work but you may have to baby it.

Happy with my Caldwells from Midway,caught them on sale for 19.99 and bought 4 sets.Have hearing loss from punctured ear drum when in Army,and too many loud noises so the regular old ear muffs I can't hear anything, but the electronic muffs I can hear a normal conversation while wearing them.

I hope this is legal to say on here, since she is not a sponsor, but I had some custom ear plugs made that have a filter built in. I can hear talking, buzzers, or whatever, but the filter obviously blocks out loud noises like gun fire. I love them. They are also perfect for going to races because I can hear what the guy next to me is saying. (I tested them at the Bristol race.) Got them from Elite Audiology in Mt. Juliet.

I recommend Surefire ep3 plugs under electronic muffs with a 1.5 msec response time. Spend the money for a quality brand. You only have so much hearing to loose before it becomes a true burden.

Foam plugs under quality electronic muffs are fine as well.

I must be the only person in the world that can't shoot with muffs. I mean, pistol is fine but for rifle, I can't get any kind of a cheekweld without the muff lifting off my ear. When shooting rifle, I go plugs only.

I must be the only person in the world that can't shoot with muffs. I mean, pistol is fine but for rifle, I can't get any kind of a cheekweld without the muff lifting off my ear. When shooting rifle, I go plugs only.
I can't use em either.

I have these.... Allen Low-Profile Folding Shooting Muffs, Shooting Supplies, Allen at Sportsman's Guide

Sometimes they'll bump the rifle stock and I have to push the up a little, but it's never been a significant problem.

I just picked up the Howard Leight Impact Sports from Amazon for just under $50 with free shipping. Used them last weekend for IDPA and could not be happier. The electronic ear muffs really are worth the extra money.