LC9 - 10 thumbs down

Traded off one of my specially crafted G26s for a LC9 the other day. Took the LC9 to the Viola Valley Shooting Range yesterday and had 4 other experienced shooters take a few turns with it after I wrung it out. We all agreed, it ain't much and certainly little better than a PF9, maybe less so due to price point and manual safety. It can be used effectively as a one handed belly gun, but INMHO other guns are better at that task. J- frame for one, Kahr for another, even Ruger LCR.

I traded it today for a 3rd Gen G19. In my opinion you simply can't beat a 9mm Glock, nearly one for any occasion.

Craig

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded it today for a 3rd Gen G19. In my opinion you simply can't beat a 9mm Glock, nearly one for any occasion.

Craig

you can with a Kahr MK9/PM9 :) haha ...

To each their own though ... happy to wound up with something you loved again! Thanks for the report

I think most of us have had one or two of those "moments/experiences" I know I have thinking later after the trade OMG what have I done!?? It's happened to me once this year already! :-) Glad you were able to work it out!!!!

In my opinion the PF9 and its glossy clone, the LC9, are reliable save your a.. pistols that are easy to carry. They need serious practice to be comfortable and efficient with, especially off-hand one-hand fast shooting. I have had 2 PF9s and 1 LCP now. I like the theory but don't like the execution overall in either. Both need just a bit better grip with a shorter trigger pull. If I had to make due with either I can and would, but given other options that are efficient and effective I'll choose something else.

I have a LC9 and a glock 19, definitely like the G19 3G trigger better. Side by side with my friends Kahr, for a newbie its a good pistol for me, a little long trigger pull but the size is nice. I don't mind the safety, the LCI etc. Its pretty accurate after a few hundred rounds, never a jam and its small, did I say that already.

For each his own but I like it.

Edited by red dirt

until today, i would have agreed with you on the accuracy of the pf-9. Prior to my range session today, have shot around 300 rounds with it. Sadly, i was looking mostly at function rather than accuracy. I took it to the range today to actually work with it and learn how to shoot accurately with it. I now stage the trigger (for lack of a better term,) after a few hundred rounds, i found the break in the trigger and seem to pull it to that point, pause, and press the trigger. With this technique my accuracy has improved drastically over the long trigger pull of the past. Given the short sight radius, this isnt a gun that will hide problems in fundamentals. It is on par with the G26 now in my opinion when accuracy is the main concern. Both still out-shoot my skill level

If my trigger finger worked like most folks' I would say the Kahr CW9 would be the king of the small 9mm. Due to some hand anamolies after tendon repair I can't say that, so my judgement is based on something different than most folks'. Both the PF9 and LC9 are quite credible personal defense guns but they are not for me to use effectively quickly. I have to compromise by choosing something different. I wish the slim 9mm by Keltec and Ruger were the best options over the Kahr CW9 for me but they aren't. For someone else they just might be. I'll stick with Glock.

Guest Aces&8s

As much as I like Ruger, I just cannot bring myself to like the LC9 over my Kel-Tec. Manual safety, the funky takedown (with the lever and having to drift the pin out), the magazine disconnect safety... there's too much I dislike and not enough I do like to make it worth giving up my tried and true PF-9, especially for the price differential.

All-in-all, it seems like a well-made gun, though... I am sure they are going to sell well.

I think there is a huge demand for guns such as the PF9, LC9, and the PPS however I have yet to find one where I feel like they really got it right.

The PF9 looks like it was made in a Afghan sweat shop, the quality is horrible IMO and I've heard mixed reviews.

Ruger had the right idea with the LC9(well they stole the idea from Kel-Tec) but they ruined it with horrible safety features and the grip is pretty bad.

I think Walther has come the closest with the PPS and several members here have the PPS and are happy. On other forums though the reviews are really mixed. I would love to have a PPS but they are overpriced and the magazines are extremely expensive. Also the mag release is strange, someone also mentioned that the gun becomes inoperable if the backstraps drop out.

I wish Glock would just get over it and make a single stack 9mm.

I think there is a huge demand for guns such as the PF9, LC9, and the PPS however I have yet to find one where I feel like they really got it right.,,,

There's a reason the expensive Kahr PM9 still sells well.

- OS

I have an LC9, and like it for what it is, a concealable, lightweight, reliable 9mm. It serves that role admirably.

The one thing that irks me, is when people try to make it out to be more than what it is. Yes a G19, or Sig 229 or whatever, will be a better shooting gun, because it IS larger than said LC9. But, the smaller gun is more concealable, lighter, and over time, will more than likely be there when you need it than one of the larger pistols.

As an example, I started out carrying a full size 1911 for years, then I downsized to a G19 for years. Now, 99% of the time, because of the clothes that I wear, I carry an LCP in my front pocket. It might have tiny sights, and lower stopping power, but at least it's there. That's the same way I feel about the LC9.

But hey, that's just my two cents.

I like the PM9. The trigger is different than anything else I've shot, but it's a nice shooter.

Part of its mystique is the relatively low recoil compared to other guns in same size class; heck, even against .380s. Kind of weird, really -- I mean, it's plastic and steel like the rest of them.

- OS

Part of its mystique is the relatively low recoil compared to other guns in same size class; heck, even against .380s. Kind of weird, really -- I mean, it's plastic and steel like the rest of them.

- OS

The only one I've shot was yours. I agree, it doesn't feel like such a small gun.

I think Walther has come the closest with the PPS and several members here have the PPS and are happy. On other forums though the reviews are really mixed. I would love to have a PPS but they are overpriced and the magazines are extremely expensive. Also the mag release is strange, someone also mentioned that the gun becomes inoperable if the backstraps drop out.

I do love my PPS. It's one of the best handguns I have ever owned and I have plenty to compare it to. The PPS is on the pricey side, but it can generally be obtained for roughly the same price as a Kahr PM9. Also, the mags are overpriced in my opinion. They are well made and a pistol with crappy mags is useless, so it's a small price to pay for a reliable firearm. That said, I think they are overpriced. $50+ for any mag is just too high (the best regular street price I see is $45 range). The removal of the backstrap does render the gun inoperable. It was Walther's version of the lawyer lock and I have seen no indication that the backstrap will easily pop loose especially since gripping the firearm, a properly seated magazine, and the grip frame all work to hold it in place. The general rule of thumb in the PPS world is to put in the one you like and leave it there unless you have some compelling reason to remove it for safety purposes.

The benefits of the PPS are its design. It's very slim, has a compact profile, is striker fired with a smooth trigger pull, and has a chamber loaded indicator. It also allows you to use three different size mags (6, 7, or 8 in the 9mm) and they all fit flush to the grip frame. It has the interchangeable backstraps, which is a nice feature. I personally like the mag release (like the H&K USP) and I didn't have any issues adjusting to it. It seems to be well built, fit and finish are excellent, and it has the accessory rail to mount a small laser. I have Meprolight night sights installed and I put on a LaserMax Micro laser that I received as a demo unit. It is a great EDC package. Recoil is manageable and the accuracy is what I would expect from a compact 9mm.

The downsides are the cost, the lack of aftermarket accessories (although the pistol is so well-done, I don't think you really need many), and the size is on the large end for pocket carry (I generally use a belt holster).

If someone is in the market for a compact 9mm, I highly suggest taking a look at it. It's worth dropping the coin in my opinion on this one.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
If my trigger finger worked like most folks' I would say the Kahr CW9 would be the king of the small 9mm. Due to some hand anamolies after tendon repair I can't say that, so my judgement is based on something different than most folks'.

In what way does your trigger finger work that is different from other people's? Someone may be familiar with a particular trigger that would be well suited to your special difficulties.

In what way does your trigger finger work that is different from other people's? Someone may be familiar with a particular trigger that would be well suited to your special difficulties.

I think he already found it. He has more Glocks than Tommy Lee Jones

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
I think he already found it. He has more Glocks than Tommy Lee Jones

Haha. Fair enough. Just sounded like he was on the lookout for something new (especially something smaller), so I figured we could put our collective minds to work on it.

3 trigger's work well for me: Glock, 1911 and Star BM. S&W M&P is fine but the grip hits my thumb bone funny and it is slightly more "fiddly" than a Glock. Ruger SR9C is great but I have quite a few Glocks and the great SR9C trigger isn't enough to give up my more simple Glocks. The XD works for me but I don't like the high bore axis or the grip safety; the trigger is fine with me. The Kahr's trigger pivot pin has that point that intrudes down into the trigger and my poorly repaired and now crooked trigger finger jams up against it at the major knuckle. Even on my Glocks I carve off some material at the top of the trigger guard. For pocket carry I use a KT P32 that has a modified P11 trigger shoe fixed onto the trigger. I tried out the LC9 thinking it might be an improvement over my two PF9 experiments, but alas it was not an improvement, although I like the concept of the two pistols. Maybe the Kimber Solo or the new Sig will be the Holy Grail of pocket 9x19s for me. Until proven otherwise I will stick with Glock 9x19 and KT P32. The Stars and 1911 are range guns.

Craig

Guest doc.card

This is a post I made in another thread but I think it needs to go here also....Seems most folks on this forum do not like this Ruger... here is my take YMVV:

I have the LC9 and couldn't be happier with it. It depends on what and how you are planning to use the pistol. LCP and most of the sub compacts were just to small for my large hands. This one is just about right. I looked at the SR9 compact and like it a lot, but this little single stack was much slimmer and weighed less. I can carry IWB, OWB, or pocket carry the LC9 depending on what I am wearing. I have put about 200 rounds through the LC9 without any problems with 3 different types of ammo and I find it accurate, not too snappy, and a fun pistol to shoot. It is not a target pistol but can get the job done as a ccw. Price was right and all the safety mechanisms do not bother me. If you don't want a safety you don't have to use it, but if makes you feel better as you shove the pistol down your pants with a round in the chamber it is there. Lots of good carry choices out there, this one works for me.

I wondered who'd traded in that Lc9 I saw at TGC on Tuesday when I stopped by, I was a bit suprised to see one traded in so soon. If Glock would get with the program and make a thinner grip single stack pistol in 9mm or 40 S&W along the lines of the G-36 but closer to the size of a G-26/27 I'd buy one.