Leo first encounter with my hcp

Guest mbushell

Guest mbushell

I got to my shop on tuesday morning around 7. Found a lock had been broken off the door. I called 911. They asked all the standard questions about the break in. I explained that I hadnt touched the door, and was waiting for the officer to arive. I told the operator that I'm an armed citizen, and had a few guns with me. One of them on my person... Three cruisers arrived within minutes. I handed one of the officers my permit. He gave it back asking if the gun was on my person. I said "of course"... showing him. He asked if it was cocked and locked. I said "absolutely". He replied "good. we my need backup."..."We have to clear the building. Wait here".

No one was still inside when they looked, and a bunch of stuff was missing. One officer stayed behind to take the report. He made some calls. Did some snooping, and uncovered the perps. One of my customers who orderd furniture, and didnt want to pay for it was to blame. They had came late at night and stole the furniture I built for them.

What a great job. I got paid for the furniture, and the broken door. I should press charges, but i didnt.

The officer and I began talking guns. I showed him mine. He handed me his.We played story topper for a while. Then he said, "you like guns?" "you'd love my trunk...come look at this". He was SWAT... He let me hold his fully auto mp5, m16, ar15, barrett 50, and grenade launcher. I really want that mp5. He gave me his number and told me to call and he'd let me shoot it sometime. I guess I made a friend. Ummm...BTW I wouldn't mess around in blount county if I were you.

This had to be the best an officer has ever treated me. He treated me as a peer and an equal instead of with suspicion. Im sure the HCP had everything to do with it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to my shop on tuesday morning around 7. Found a lock had been broken off the door. I called 911. They asked all the standard questions about the break in. I explained that I hadnt touched the door, and was waiting for the officer to arive. I told the operator that I'm an armed citizen, and had a few guns with me. One of them on my person... Three cruisers arrived within minutes. I handed one of the officers my permit. He gave it back asking if the gun was on my person. I said "of course"... showing him. He asked if it was cocked and locked. I said "absolutely". He replied "good. we my need backup."..."We have to clear the building. Wait here".

No one was still inside when they looked, and a bunch of stuff was missing. One officer stayed behind to take the report. He made some calls. Did some snooping, and uncovered the perps. One of my customers who orderd furniture, and didnt want to pay for it was to blame. They had came late at night and stole the furniture I built for them.

What a great job. I got paid for the furniture, and the broken door. I should press charges, but i didnt.

The officer and I began talking guns. I showed him mine. He handed me his.We played story topper for a while. Then he said, "you like guns?" "you'd love my trunk...come look at this". He was SWAT... He let me hold his fully auto mp5, m16, ar15, barrett 50, and grenade launcher. I really want that mp5. He gave me his number and told me to call and he'd let me shoot it sometime. I guess I made a friend. Ummm...BTW I wouldn't mess around in blount county if I were you.

This had to be the best an officer has ever treated me. He treated me as a peer and an equal instead of with suspicion. Im sure the HCP had everything to do with it.

I've never met an officer that would let anyone touch his issued firearm.

I've never met an officer that would let anyone touch his issued firearm.

Ditto. Ive never ever heard of ANY officer, or for that matter ANY department, allowing it's officers to unholster their weapon for a citizen to hold, nor to allow a citizen to handle their other weapons, shotguns, mp's, ar's, etc. Or for that matter asking a citizen to possibly "back them up". Cops are trained to only trust other officer's when it comes to back up and their training when it comes to things such as this. Not trying to get into a pi*#^ng match here but sounds a little strange to me.

Edited by BlackHawk93

I assume this was the Blount County Sherriff's Dept.

Good outfit. Never hadanything but positive experiences with them. Always friendly and professional in my dealings with them. I don't care much for cops but Blount county I have always respected. Other depts. Should learn from these guys.

Ditto. Ive never ever heard of ANY officer, or for that matter ANY department, allowing it's officers to unholster their weapon for a citizen to hold, nor to allow a citizen to handle their other weapons, shotguns, mp's, ar's, etc. Not trying to get into a pi*#^ng match here but sounds a little strange to me.

I could believe it in Blount county. Deputies are a different breed here. Good guys.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
I should press charges, but i didnt.

What the hell? I was reading the story & my jaw hit the floor when I read this. Why would you not press charges?

Do you even have the choice of "pressing charges" in Tennessee on a felony such as Burglary?

He was SWAT... He let me hold his fully auto mp5, m16, ar15, barrett 50, and grenade launcher. I really want that mp5.

rollfloor.gif

Guest bkelm18

I had a similar experience. The LEO who pulled me over also was a SWAT officer. Not only did he let me fondle his guns, he let me take part in one of their raids. They let me use my AK. It was awesome. ;)

Ditto. Ive never ever heard of ANY officer, or for that matter ANY department, allowing it's officers to unholster their weapon for a citizen to hold, nor to allow a citizen to handle their other weapons, shotguns, mp's, ar's, etc. Or for that matter asking a citizen to possibly "back them up". Cops are trained to only trust other officer's when it comes to back up and their training when it comes to things such as this. Not trying to get into a pi*#^ng match here but sounds a little strange to me.

Agree. Happens on rare occasions, usually against policy. Write up at minimum.

Personally, I wouldn't allow anyone to handle mine, or remove it from the holster

for show. Begging for trouble.

Sounds a bit strange here also.

What an unusual story. Things have certainly changed a lot in the 18 years since I left law enforcement. I would have been fired if for some reason I unholstered my service weapon and handed it to a citizen, or took the shotgun out of the rack and let him hold it. But I was just a regular street cop, not SWAT. Maybe their training and departmental rules are different than mine were back then.

Guest 270win

When I was a kid in elementary school, a Secret Service agent came to school and did a show and tell deal about the Secret Service. He was even kind enough to show us the Uzi that was carried in his briefcase! The agent let us all get in a line and walk up to him one by one to hold the uzi (actually he held the uzi) to see how heavy it was. All of us boys thought this was the coolest show and tell.

I doubt kids get show and tell like this at school anymore because parents will call and complain and teachers will pass out.

Also i have never heard of a PD using a Barrett .50 especially for fear of over penetration

Now you have...

LAPD bought them after the bank of America shootout.

One was even used as a prop by the LAPD for a request at a city council meeting to ban ownership of .50 Cal rifles.

Here is a link to the letter Ronnie Barrett wrote to the LAPD.

The Gun Zone -- Ronnie Barrett

Guest mbushell

Ill answer some of the questions, and issues some of u are having with the story. He didnt hand me any LOADED weapons. He cleared them first. We were on a major road, but behind the car. No one would have seen what we were doing. As far as the charges... no you wouldn't have a choice per se. The customer broke into the shop. With further investigation we could have made charges stick, but dropped the issue since they paid me.

Im sure an officer could get into trouble for this. Notice I didnt give names or locations. Just thought you guys would like to know that some of them aren't robots set to badger and harrass everyone carrying a gun in public. I'm knowlageable and safety minded.I am sure it showed. That is why the situation was what it was.