i have a ? about carry permit

mudstud

As long as you don't do what I did: take the test with a jam-master-jennings, you should be fine.

After much embarrassment and several jams, I did pass the test.

Heh. The shooting portion of my test was at an outdoor range with 29 deg F ambient temp after all weapons had been sitting in those temps all day long. Three weapons suffered repeated malfunctions ... two SIG's and an HK. The Highpoints, Jennings, and my beat-up old Ruger worked perfectly. Even the instructors were laughing about it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I took mine the instructor had 22s that people could use. Because it is easier to shoot, most people were more accurate and therefore going to pass the class.

I shot my 45 and one of the instructors actually asked me to do head shots.

I passed.

For the test, shoot whatever you're most comfortable with. Most of the people in my class were using one of the instructor's .22's to save money on ammo, because they had never touched a gun before, or because they didn't own a pistol. I chose to use my .45 Cougar because that is my primary carry pistol. I got a perfect score too.

Guest Larry

Here in Texas you cant qualify with anything less than a 380, if you shoot a revolver you can only carry a revolver, a semi auto you can carry both. Once qualified you carry any cal you wish. 9mm is by far the most popular with 40 and 45 #2 and #3. They used to list scores now its either pass or not passed.

Here in Texas you cant qualify with anything less than a 380, if you shoot a revolver you can only carry a revolver, a semi auto you can carry both. Once qualified you carry any cal you wish. 9mm is by far the most popular with 40 and 45 #2 and #3. They used to list scores now its either pass or not passed.

In Tennessee they don’t track or legislate what we can carry. The instructor in my class said he didn’t keep a record of scores, simply pass/fail for obvious reasons.

I would think a person would want to qualify with something close to what they shoot, but whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WingMan380

When I took my test there was no records of what we used during the shooting portion of the exam. There was everything from .22's to a 50cal and I was there as the lone ranger with my .38 revolver. I have since purchased a 380 that I carry and the ole revolver or my "home defender" as I call it is tucked away easily accesable if I should need it.

Guest Victor9er

When I took my class I had just bought my gun the week before. I had never shot it yet but I brought it with me to use for the class. (it's a 9mm) There were 6 of us in the class, I think only one person didn't bring a gun with them and had to rent one. I don't know what she ended up renting but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a .22, I want to say she got a revolver of some sort to use.

Anyway, my thoughts are, if you can't qualify with the gun you own and are planning to depend on with your life.... then what on Earth makes you think that you'll be able to use it effectively when you do need to use it to save your life!? Seriously, we were told all you have to do to qualify is hit the paper target... ANYWHERE on the paper target. That's it. Even if it's down in the corner off of the silhouette, as long as it's on the paper it's counted as a hit. There's no bonus points for a bullseye or anything. There's no timed trial, in fact they encourage you to take your time with each shot.

So if you have a gun and you plan on using it for self defense, then there's absolutely no reason to not use it for the class. And there's plenty of reasons why you should.

Edit:

I do remember us having to write down the make, model, and caliber of our guns that we were using. I'm not sure if or how they were recorded or filed, but we did have to provide that information.

Seriously, we were told all you have to do to qualify is hit the paper target... ANYWHERE on the paper target. That's it. Even if it's down in the corner off of the silhouette, as long as it's on the paper it's counted as a hit. There's no bonus points for a bullseye or anything. There's no timed trial, in fact they encourage you to take your time with each shot.

Actually, you have to hit the silhouette for the shot to count. On paper but off the silhouette is a miss.

Guest Victor9er
Actually, you have to hit the silhouette for the shot to count. On paper but off the silhouette is a miss.

That's not what we were told...

:D

Edit:

for the record all of mine were on the slihouette... of course the silhouette takes up most of the paper anyway so it is hard to miss...

Edited by Victor9er

It sounds like I did it backwards. Being a newbe I wanted to learn a little before making a $500 purchase so I took the basic handgun safety class before the HCP class and rented a gun for both (a 22). While waiting for the HCP I went to CCA a couple of times and rented several guns to try out again before making a $500 purchase.

Guest Victor9er
It sounds like I did it backwards. Being a newbe I wanted to learn a little before making a $500 purchase so I took the basic handgun safety class before the HCP class and rented a gun for both (a 22). While waiting for the HCP I went to CCA a couple of times and rented several guns to try out again before making a $500 purchase.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. The thing is you actually put in the effort to try out different guns and see what works best for you.

I think one of the problems is that many people end up getting a gun for "self defense" and never learn to properly use it or shoot it. Sometimes the class is the only time they ever actually shoot their guns! And if they end up renting a .22 instead because they just want to qualify, well that doesn't help for the day they might have to actually pull out their own .45 that an uncle gave them to keep next to the bed...

I probably should have mentioned in my earlier post that I had actually taken a handgun safety course one time before.... several years ago in another state, I just never got around to buying a gun until recently. For that class I had rented a gun, because like you I wasn't sure what I would be comfortable with. I ended up renting a 9mm at the time and felt comfortable with that, so when the time came to buy my gun a couple of months ago I knew I wanted a 9mm. So from there it was just a matter of researching different brands and seeing which ones felt best in my hands, all of which I did before actually buying it. Then I took the class, brought my gun to qualify with, and have since been to the range with it a few times and plan on doing so on a regular basis.

But again, I think what you did was fine also, because you put in the effort and I'm sure you have and will continue to work with and practice with your own gun. Unfortunately many people just don't bother with that.

Edited by Victor9er

My instructor would not allow a .22 because he said hardly anyone carried that caliber and he wanted a truer test of your skills. "People should be accustomed to the recoil and sound of what they would probably carry." When questioned by someone he said the state regs are the minimum an instructor has to follow. He can add if he desires. Also, the rule on listing the weapon, etc changed. A few in the class got certificates with that info on them and the rest of us did not. The certificates were serial numbered so he used the last pack up before starting with the new.

That's not what we were told...

:)

Edit:

for the record all of mine were on the slihouette... of course the silhouette takes up most of the paper anyway so it is hard to miss...

Personally, I would verify any other data presented in the class. It wouldn't be the first time an instructor has given out improper information.

The instructor may have scored the targets that way - but they would have been scoring them incorrectly.

Personally, I would verify any other data presented in the class. It wouldn't be the first time an instructor has given out improper information.

The instructor may have scored the targets that way - but they would have been scoring them incorrectly.

+1 on that! If the shot just had to be on the paper why waste a silhouette target?

Guest sneak
I’m more concerned that you would be concerned about the cost of one box of ammo for a class. That implies you aren’t going to practice much with what you carry.

Me too! :confused: I would use what I plan to carry.

Guest skinner
I'm pretty sure they don't keep track of what caliber you used to complete your course. All that matters is that you pass the shooting drills. It doesn't even have to be your firearm, it could be your neighbors or one you found in the dumpster, though I highly discourage the latter :confused:

Just took the G & L class last Saturday. Looked on my form and there is no record of what firearm was used to qualify.

Guest bkelm18

People should shoot the test with whatever they want. If it's a .22 that's their choice. It's a ridiculous class followed by a ridiculous written test and a shooting portion a blind orangutan could pass. The shooting portion is not designed to ensure you have proficiency with your intended carry piece. It's just there to show you know enough about a firearm to line up the sights and pull the trigger. That's it.

Guest biohazardmatthew

I used an old Ruger Mark II provided by my instructor. Kinda funny given the fact the other two guys were using a 9mm and a 40 cal.

Matthew

Guest biohazardmatthew
My instructor would not allow a .22 because he said hardly anyone carried that caliber and he wanted a truer test of your skills. "People should be accustomed to the recoil and sound of what they would probably carry." When questioned by someone he said the state regs are the minimum an instructor has to follow. He can add if he desires. Also, the rule on listing the weapon, etc changed. A few in the class got certificates with that info on them and the rest of us did not. The certificates were serial numbered so he used the last pack up before starting with the new.

I would tell the instructor to refund my money and then go find one that follows the laws instead of trying to make his own.

Matthew

I think they suggest the 22 for qualifying to minimize accuracy compensation issues from recoil. The idea is not to set you up to fail. If you get a range membership and go consistently then maybe in a worse case scenario Your lawyer can provide evidence that you have put thousands of rounds through your 'whatever caliber' firearm. If there is really a question of your competency in handling then you would probably be dealing with a stray bullet to innocent bystander in which case you are probably screwed already because you are talking about a civil trial anyways. Otherwise what you are really discussing is justifiable use of deadly force probably in a criminal trial, which stands irrelevant of a 22 or a 50cal. Just practice good and alot to avoid the first. Then practice some more and alot to know what you will do when the situation occurs.

People should shoot the test with whatever they want. If it's a .22 that's their choice. It's a ridiculous class followed by a ridiculous written test and a shooting portion a blind orangutan could pass. The shooting portion is not designed to ensure you have proficiency with your intended carry piece. It's just there to show you know enough about a firearm to line up the sights and pull the trigger. That's it.

AGREE!!!!!!