This is why I carry..especailly at night

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are getting robbed...do you have time to just pull out your gun?
You have to be smart and look for an opportunity. If no opportunity presents itself and the BG does not appear he is going to shoot anyone than comply. The law says you can't shoot him in the back on his way out the door.
I'd say something along the lines of, "Ok let me get my wallet." Except I wouldn't pull out my wallet.

Something similar happened here in Memphis a few months ago (shocking, I know), but at an apartment complex in a part of town that is not considered to be "bad". Two young urban yutes approached a young man who was walking from his car to his apartment. The yutes pulled a gun, began screaming and demand his wallet. Turns out the victim worked at one of the local gun ranges and was armed. He was being compliant but according to witnesses, the perps began cursing him for taking too long and threatened to shoot him if he didn't hurry up. The victim put his hand back as if reaching for his wallet, but instead pulled his pistol and shot the closest threat twice center of mass, and hit the other one once before he turned and fled. The one who was hit twice was d.r.t. No charges were filed against the shooter, and they never publicly identified him for fear of retaliation as the two young yutes apparently were part of some local gang.

Yep, if I'm gonna be robbed, if I have a choice, I'd much rather be armed when it happens. I'm no Wyatt Earp, but I would hate to bring a knife to a gun fight.

I have often thought I would pull out my wallet and "accidentally" drop it and hope the guy bends over to get it giving me a chance to draw the pistol. I carry at 5 O'clock, so maybe I would just pull the pistol first.

Well....I know this might sound crazy [because it makes sooooo much sense and all] but GO THROUGH THE DRIVE THROUGH!!!! Why would anyone actually go IN a Taco Bell unless it was a restroom emergency. Eat in the car or go to the park or as me and the wife do, go to the largest parking lot and park on the empty end. Like the Taco Bell in Franklin for instance, just drive across the road to the Kmart and park on the far end. You can see people coming several yards away.

No one is immune to being robbed. I myself have looked down the barrel of a 12g as a kid, I know what it feels like. BUT! ANY intelligent person can reason out ways to avoid 95% of all potential threats by just using a little common sense.

Guest nysos
Well....I know this might sound crazy [because it makes sooooo much sense and all] but GO THROUGH THE DRIVE THROUGH!!!! Why would anyone actually go IN a Taco Bell unless it was a restroom emergency. Eat in the car or go to the park or as me and the wife do, go to the largest parking lot and park on the empty end. Like the Taco Bell in Franklin for instance, just drive across the road to the Kmart and park on the far end. You can see people coming several yards away.

No one is immune to being robbed. I myself have looked down the barrel of a 12g as a kid, I know what it feels like. BUT! ANY intelligent person can reason out ways to avoid 95% of all potential threats by just using a little common sense.

My fiance and I hate the general public, we generally do the same thing - not for safety of us, but for our own sanity. The only time we enter a restaurant is generally for a date at a nicer sit down place where we get waited on, which with the economy is rare. The only time we eat out period is if we have no other choice, and then it is drive through - and only something cheap to hold us over til we get home.

In regards to drawing on someone, I carry at about 4:30 so going for my wallet and drawing is pretty much the same motion as well. Whether to draw on them would depend on how crazy they are acting. Suggestion for all though, if you do get robbed and are complying - don't hand your wallet to them, throw it the other direction and let them go pick it up. This gives you the opportunity to gtfo of dodge in the opposite direction when they go for the wallet. Especially handy if knife wielding, definitely want that extra distance.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I would try & fake them out to give me an opening. I would put on my best "OMG I'M SO SCARED!!" face (which may or may not require a lot of acting on my part lol) & act as if I were complying. I would do everything I could to make him take his gun off me for a second or two to give me an opening to draw. (Such as dropping my wallet, acting like I'm fumbling around for something, etc.)

It obviously would be really stupid to draw your weapon while a weapon is already being held right on you. I dont care if you are Superman, you are gonna get shot in that situation. You need to find SOME WAY to get the gun off of yourself long enough to draw. I usually carry at 2 or 3 o'clock position so it would be tricky for me to do the "I'm just getting my wallet" trick. I would probably pull my wallet out of my back pocket & "drop" it on the ground.

Hope I'm never in that situation though......

yeah...I think i am going to carry at the 4-5 position....just had thought about how much time would you really have?

I too have had a weapon pointed at me before while being robbed at a gas station when I was around 14...i was the stock boy and they came in for the register ...but i had to lay down on the floor, get up and move behind the counter, etc.

My fiance and I hate the general public, we generally do the same thing - not for safety of us, but for our own sanity.

Hooray! Me and the wife ain't alone!:shrug:

Hey, long peaceful life to you and your soon to be MRS.

Guest WyattEarp
I'm no Wyatt Earp, but I would hate to bring a knife to a gun fight.

I'll take that as a "non pun intended". :panic:

My fiance and I hate the general public, we generally do the same thing - not for safety of us, but for our own sanity. The only time we enter a restaurant is generally for a date at a nicer sit down place where we get waited on, which with the economy is rare. The only time we eat out period is if we have no other choice, and then it is drive through - and only something cheap to hold us over til we get home.

you're not alone, the general public is ignorant. Unless it's something I enjoy very much, like a football game, an airshow, or something similiar, I avoid large crowds at all costs. I only go to Wal-Mart at like midnight because hardly anyone's in there.

I was in Wal-Mart in the Boro off Old Ft Pkwy, back in September was probably about 11 am or noon, I was looking for a pair of shoes, and some black woman was talking on her cell phone, and not paying attention to where she was going, rams her cart right into the back of me, and had the nerve to tell my "white honky ass" to watch where the hell I'm going then started cussing me to the person she was talking on the phone. I let it ago after giving her a dirty look, but people like that just piss me off. People are ignorant and have no regard for anyone.

Last Sunday at the grocery store, I'm trying to go down an aisle, and some woman is too busy texting, and I said "excuse me", and she turns around gives me a look and says "what?" in a rude way. I just said "if you want to talk or text on your phone, do it somewhere else". and forced my cart past her. How inconsiderate can people be? As if everyone really wants to come to a grocery store just to have to wait to get down an aisle, because some ignorant ass wants to text on their phone. Do that **** somewhere else, but not on my time. I want to get in, get my stuff and get out.

Hooray! Me and the wife ain't alone!:shrug:

nope, you're not alone! If I go out, its usually away from society (the mountains to explore and enjoy peaceful serenity.) The general public is nothing more than a bunch of sheep.

Edited by WyattEarp

I thought my wife and I were the only people who despised the public in general. I can't stand to go anywhere there's a crowd. It seems that either people are becomming ruder and ruder or else I'm just becomming less tolerant of bad behavior. When I'm staring at the idiot in the theater talking on a cell phone, or the moron who won't shut up and take his hat off while the national anthem is being sung, I think maybe I shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Edited by gregintenn

nope, you're not alone! If I go out, its usually away from society (the mountains to explore and enjoy peaceful serenity.) The general public is nothing more than a bunch of sheep.

Yeah, it's a shame we need the wool or we could just rid ourselves of them and actually be happy.........wait:doh:...I gotta quit typing that stuff out loud!:shrug:

My wife has had her permit for years, but mostly in case I leave the gun in her car by accident, less explaining if she has a permit. A few months ago she was at Kroger in the middle of the day. She was in produce when some scruffy looking dude was looking at her. She got her produce and moved to another isle, the BG followed. He approached and asked if she had a smoke, which she politely responded no. He started cussing her right in the isle. I told her she should have left the basket and asked a manager to walk her to her car. She went to the parking lot by herself looking around for the guy, but he never showed up. The next day we went to G&L and picked out a Ruger LCR. She carries kind of regular now.

I agree with you mostly but I have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to let other people dictate how I can or can't live my life. If I want to walk into a place instead of feeling forced to only use the drive through I will walk in. I know that there are ways to lessen the threat of being a target and all but I'm not about to let some lazy lowlife criminal force me out of my freedom and rights. Sorry went on a little rant there.

I agree with you mostly but I have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to let other people dictate how I can or can't live my life. If I want to walk into a place instead of feeling forced to only use the drive through I will walk in. I know that there are ways to lessen the threat of being a target and all but I'm not about to let some lazy lowlife criminal force me out of my freedom and rights. Sorry went on a little rant there.

:confused: +1

Well, it ain't just the lazy low life criminal, it's the slobbering idiot kids, their slobbering idiot parents, and the fact that I lose my appetite when I see how nasty it is in there. I actually saw graffiti on a taco bell bathroom I thought was fitting....it said please don't throw cigarette butts in the floor, the cockroaches are getting cancer.

Not to mention, as Joe Pesci's character said in one of the 'Lethal Weapon' movies, "They *eff* you at the drive through." Plus I will invariably get behind some moron who is ordering food for themselves and fifty of their closest friends but is too damned lazy to get out and go inside. Then, when they get their fifteen bags of Biggie McWhoppers, they have to go through each and every one to make sure that everything is right before moving out of the way. The drive-through is supposed to be so you can get your order fast and get out of the way, not so you can get food to cater a banquet.

Well, it ain't just the lazy low life criminal, it's the slobbering idiot kids, their slobbering idiot parents, and the fact that I lose my appetite when I see how nasty it is in there. I actually saw graffiti on a taco bell bathroom I thought was fitting....it said please don't throw cigarette butts in the floor, the cockroaches are getting cancer.

Bleh, this is also true. Fortunately here in Oak Ridge the two we have take pretty good care of themselves most of time.