.300 BLK?

Caster

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I really want to get excited about this but there are now more than a couple. 30cal ARs out there and everyone says theirs is the best. It would be nice to know who's is going to stick around.

So far im aware of the. 300whisper, .300blk, .30RAR, 7.62x40WT, any others?

What I really like about the blk is it uses standard AR mags. So you can have 3 calibers that all serve a different purpose (5.56/.223, .300blk, and. 458socom) that use the same mags

Edited by nightrunner

Caster:____________

You got the same problem i got, man!!! Ya got "AR Variantitis" !!!!. I want to do a 300 blackout myself. Savin up for the barrel and other goodies. I think ill round up a wilson barrel (....link here: 300 AAC Blackout-Wilson Combat ...). I think the blackout will be the "best" 30 caliber ar variant (...as other have said...) simply because it only needs a barrel. No special bolt, no special mags, no special nothin.

Tou can even make the brass from 223. I cant wait to round my stuff up either. Gonna do a 16 inch free float flattop with a rifle length handguard.

Keep up the good work!

leroy

Well Leory, not anymore. I was pretty amped but I ended up scrapping the whole project. The logistics for supporting 2 fighting calibers just didn't wasn't there, I have to put my pennies where they give the greatest effect. It didn't make sense for me when I really laid it out. I can do a LOT with the funds I would have tied up in a different caliber.

• Admin Team
Midway has reasonably priced brass too. Getting into the caliber isn't that expensive.

Dang it! Somehow I've set up this prop in my mind that I didn't need to get into the caliber because I don't really have the time to make brass in the quantity I'm going to shoot. It's not really true - but it's kept me from calling AAC and buying an upper thus far.

Now you just go and knock all that down.

• Admin Team

It's all relative. I figure it's pretty cheap when taking into account both my time and the cost of other wildcat brass. I'm sure I could turn out a holder to trim 5.56 brass on the lathe and then size the necks, but I'm looking at a whole weekend to even approach that kind of quantity. For me, with running a company during the week and having a young family, $0.23/round is reasonable for brass that's going to last several loadings.

Didn't you make a bunch of brass not too long ago?

Didn't you make a bunch of brass not too long ago?

I did. AND IT WASN'T AS EAASY AS SOME SAY. I made a about a hundred or so before tossing the whole project. I sold the dies and trim tools I modified, almost broke even. It was a cool learning experience for the time and brass I wasted.

Well Leory, not anymore. I was pretty amped but I ended up scrapping the whole project. The logistics for supporting 2 fighting calibers just didn't wasn't there, I have to put my pennies where they give the greatest effect. It didn't make sense for me when I really laid it out. I can do a LOT with the funds I would have tied up in a different caliber.

I hate to hear it man!! I think the 300 idea is a great one; but i understand that "efficient use of funds" thing too. I try to save a little at a time and round up parts a few at a time. It took about a year to do the last one.

leroy