Ohio police threaten to execute permit holder video

Guest clownsdd
LEO's are trained to exert a sense of confidence that is akin to dominance. There's no room for being wishy washy or timid in their line of work. The must appear to be in charge of every confrontation. I suspect this is often mistaken for a "power trip".

However, the officer in this video has some serious issues. The language he uses aside is unnecessary, but the threats to a fully cooperating citizen are just plain inexcusable. My guess is that he'll be attending some on the clock anger management classes and be given a lengthy paid vacation soon.

Well put.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nashvegas
My guess is that he'll be attending some on the clock anger management classes and be given a lengthy paid vacation soon.

The thought that he can continue to collect a salary is repulsive.

All while the cop is threatening, cursing, and insulting this guy about having a gun in his presence, I can't help but wonder what would happen if the guy had said 'what's that on your hip? a gun?'.

Also, he told the alleged hooker and pimp that if he sees them again they'll "get lumps" or something like that. Sounds like an illegal threat to them too.

Guest mcgyver210

WOW all I can say is this made my BLOOD Boil & the officers involved should no longer ever be aloud to work with the public & should spend some time with people that will show them the meaning of respect.

They are the definition of BAD LEOs yes even the observer that let it go on (He may be more guilty in reality).

If anyone else threatened to murder someone as this peace of crap did they would be in jail or worse. So until LEOs are held to at least the same standard (IMO should be a much Higher standard considering their immunity they have) we will continue to see videos like this.

This type of incident gives all the GOOD LEOs a bad name which is unfortunate & really not fair to them.

He is relieved of duty while (publicity calms down) being investigated most likely with PAY.

He would have just murdered me because I don't think I would have been as passive when he threatened to murder me in cold blood.

Guest mcgyver210
+

The police should NEVER be allowed to investigate themselves.

I 100% AGREE with this statement, It has never seemed like a level playing field to have them investigate their own.

LEOs like this is what makes the good ones look awful and make thing people thing all LEOs are bad!! Watching this video just pissed me off!! He needs a good "lump" himself and maybe mr muscle wouldn't be so quick to act like he's mr bad @$$!!

I have had pleasant interactions with the police over the years, both as the one being pulled over and when responding to alarm calls at work. It is unfortunate that guys like the ones in this video ruin that kind of confidence for all of the good cops that are out there.

I also believe it unfair to bash cops in general. If you have had an unpleasant experience with particular officer, it is fair to rate your experience with that person, but not his department/city/county/state/country/planet as a class.

I REALLY hope that the powers that be in Canton get this one right. Jerks like those portrayed in the video are just begging to have posters made in their image.

Guest WyattEarp
Oh boy here we go again.............. let the cop bashing begin :)

stereotypes are based on reality.

Here's the latest from their local news.

Video: Canton officer under investigation after concealed carry arrest - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

It appears that the Police Dept is handling this correctly.

Rob

wow, not only is he giving Police Officers a bad name, but Marines as well. This guy is a former marine, and he's had 16 incidents since 2000 that he's been investigated for by Internal Affairs in his tenure as a Canton Police Officer.

16?? Does anyone not see a pattern of a problem from this guy? 2 or 3 incidents, can be explained, but 16 in an 11 year period?

Someone's covering for this guy, and it needs to stop and he needs to be held accountable for his actions so he can be forced to address his issues. Seems like he has some serious PTSD going on or something.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't been fired from his job, and I'm completely astonished, the city hasn't dropped the charges against the driver.

No offense, I don't trust folks from east TN 'cause I've run into a few jerks from there...no different than your comparison. See my point?

I do agree this officer was way out of line...

You sir are correct! Here, we have a bunch of redneck cops that think they are hot stuff.

Guest mcgyver210
stereotypes are based on reality.

wow, not only is he giving Police Officers a bad name, but Marines as well. This guy is a former marine, and he's had 16 incidents since 2000 that he's been investigated for by Internal Affairs in his tenure as a Canton Police Officer.

16?? Does anyone not see a pattern of a problem from this guy? 2 or 3 incidents, can be explained, but 16 in an 11 year period?

Someone's covering for this guy, and it needs to stop and he needs to be held accountable for his actions so he can be forced to address his issues. Seems like he has some serious PTSD going on or something.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't been fired from his job, and I'm completely astonished, the city hasn't dropped the charges against the driver.

His record says he is a loose cannon & should be used as evidence against the PD for having a out of control cop on the streets knowingly.

The reason they haven't dropped charges is that would be admitting the scum terrorized & threatened an innocent civilian with out even having a reason. Also they will use the charges as Leverage to bully the victim into signing away his rights to go after the whole city SOP for all situations of this kind it seems.

Guest drv2fst

The cop should be arrested and tried for the threats. He doesn't need vacation, he needs prison

Most of the cops I have dealt with have been very professional and a credit to their profession. They need to purge the profession of jerks like this to restore the respect that the majority of them deserve.

This guy is just a Bully, plain and simple. HOpefully they won't allow him to see another investigation and will just boot him off the force.

As far as cops go...everyone that does anything gets stereotyped...doesn't make it true...not all lawyers are ambulance chasers, not all used car salesman are liars ;-D, and not all cops are thugs....people need to be less close-minded and the world would be a much more peaceful place. I have quite a few LEO customers...and they arent thugs, jerks, bullies, or anything like that...just someone doing a thankless job at a pay rate thats equivalent to most teachers, but necessary so our society doesnt degenerate into chaos. I have also been pulled over quite a few times and except for the time I was an ass(one and only...learn quick) they always treated me with professionalism.

This guy is definitely the exception...not the rule.

The cop should be arrested and tried for the threats. He doesn't need vacation, he needs prison

Most of the cops I have dealt with have been very professional and a credit to their profession. They need to purge the profession of jerks like this to restore the respect that the majority of them deserve.

+1

A line needs to be drawn

Guest Sgt. Joe

I am not a psychologist nor do I play one on TV but it seems to me that this officer likely has some other issues going on in his world that are totally unrelated to this traffic stop or this individual.

He does not appear to me to be a stable person in the video.

Why he did not secure the driver first is the biggest question that I have, that and why he would make such threats while he knew (or should have) that he was on camera. It seems that he let his emotions take over and let whatever else is bothering him be taken out on this individual all the while forgetting that he was being recorded.

Something else going on in his life could also explain why his partner does not appear to say much of anything, that partner of all people would know about anything else that may be going on with the officer.

I cant say that he needs to lose his job based solely on this one incident but he certainly does appear to be in need of an in depth mental evaluation before being let back on the street. As bad as that video portrays the Officer, no one should be judged by one incident alone. It needs to be determined by a professional if this behavior is the officers SOP or was it an isolated incident. Did something unrelated cause him to seem to snap?

I have never been a patrol officer in the civilian word (I couldnt be paid enough) but I have been on patrol as an MP which is basically a gated community and IMO much different (safer) than any city's streets. I have also worked communications for a City Police Dept some years ago. I have worked around civilian LE both as commo and as Private Security. I also have many friends who are current officers here and in FL. City, County, State and Federal, from patrol officers to Police Chiefs.

It has been my experience that LE just like any other group of people are going to have some good ones, some very good ones and some not so good ones. It has also been my experience that most LEOs are not only good people but very good people, the kind who would give the shirt off of their backs to someone in need.

Sure there are some who are on power trips, I've met a few of those, but I believe that the majority of LEOs do it in order to protect and serve their fellow citizens, they do it because their hearts tell them that they should. Most of them love their jobs just like we all love our firearms, they certainly dont do it to get rich.

Things like this also make me very happy that we have the laws that we do here in TN even as much as we all complain at times.:)

While I have every intention of informing during any encounter that I may have with LE I am happy that we are not required to, an accident or many other things could cause any one of us to simply forget to inform immediately. And also while I do not have the desire to ever OC I am very happy that we have the right to do just that.

I really hope that the city of Canton handles this the right way for their citizens and the officer whatever that may be.

Finished my HCP class tonight, planning on doing the application tomorrow (btw, what's the best Knoxville location to go to for this?)

Nice to see how I might one day be treated for doing everything an LEO asks.

Thankfully as a former First Responder, Firefighter, and 911 Dispatcher I know this isn't the norm...

But WOW! Glad to see some others comment about leaving the driver completely unchecked for 4-6 minutes. That's what struck me about the whole thing; searching (perhaps illegally?) an unsecured car? Isn't that way up there on the no-no list for safe LEO operations?

My feelings: The officer realized what a dangerous situation he had created for himself and his emotions got the best of him. Judging from the publicity this has generated, this will not end well for either this officer or the PD.

He just didn't wake up that day and decided to start acting that way. I can, without a doubt, say he has done it for years in order for him to get his comfort level up to a point he feels he can makes threats. He has also probably done a lot worse but never got caught or never reported by fellow officers. I suspect there is a reason why the officer left Virginia. Perhaps similar incidents forced his resignation there. I know I have seen it over the years, officers allowed to resign in lieu of being fired for offenses in which they should have been arrested. These same officers tend to go to another jurisdiction and continue their questionable actions.

Officers tend to take care of their own even when the bad officer brings a bad light to the good ones. I never understood this, the good officers should be very angry with the bad officer but it rarely happened from what I witnessed. I know any time I had an officer screw up enough to warrant being fired I tried everythig in my power to fire them but in most cases the administration allowed them to resign because it was easier. And in a lot of cases the officer received a letter of recommendation upon exit as well as a glowing review because he didn't try to fight it.

Another thing that contributes to things like this is that officers are afraid of being labeled a rat if they tell on other officers. I have known several officers who did the right thing in turning in bad officers only to be ridiculed and threatened until they resigned. In most cases the bad officer would be treated better than the good officer. And when the good officer resigned they would rarely get letters of recommendation. I have even sat in front of supervisors as they called all the surrounding jurisdictions to tell them the officer who just resigned is a rat. They would joke saying the rat has been blackballed and will never work LE again. Stark contrast to the way they treat bad cops.

I had a long time in LE (15+ years) when I finally left the field for good. I left on good terms and was about to be promoted again when I left. I have seen both sides and for this reason I view most officers with a bit of distrust unless I know them. This is the reason I try to record every interaction I have with LE.

Dolomite

Guest clownsdd
He just didn't wake up that day and decided to start acting that way. I can, without a doubt, say he has done it for years in order for him to get his comfort level up to a point he feels he can makes threats. He has also probably done a lot worse but never got caught or never reported by fellow officers. I suspect there is a reason why the officer left Virginia. Perhaps similar incidents forced his resignation there. I know I have seen it over the years, officers allowed to resign in lieu of being fired for offenses in which they should have been arrested. These same officers tend to go to another jurisdiction and continue their questionable actions.

Officers tend to take care of their own even when the bad officer brings a bad light to the good ones. I never understood this, the good officers should be very angry with the bad officer but it rarely happened from what I witnessed. I know any time I had an officer screw up enough to warrant being fired I tried everythig in my power to fire them but in most cases the administration allowed them to resign because it was easier. And in a lot of cases the officer received a letter of recommendation upon exit as well as a glowing review because he didn't try to fight it.

Another thing that contributes to things like this is that officers are afraid of being labeled a rat if they tell on other officers. I have known several officers who did the right thing in turning in bad officers only to be ridiculed and threatened until they resigned. In most cases the bad officer would be treated better than the good officer. And when the good officer resigned they would rarely get letters of recommendation. I have even sat in front of supervisors as they called all the surrounding jurisdictions to tell them the officer who just resigned is a rat. They would joke saying the rat has been blackballed and will never work LE again. Stark contrast to the way they treat bad cops.

I had a long time in LE (15+ years) when I finally left the field for good. I left on good terms and was about to be promoted again when I left. I have seen both sides and for this reason I view most officers with a bit of distrust unless I know them. This is the reason I try to record every interaction I have with LE.

Dolomite

VERY well put