Traveling to new york city

Guest Gfrk

Tried searching for this, as i knew its probably already been brought up. The search wouldnt load or work at all so i figured i would just ask.

I am traveling to new york city, and am wondering if i can conceal carry there or how it works.

I tried to google it, but im very tired and my internet is being stupid, only allowing some sites right now.

Any help and link is appreciated, thank you!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried searching for this, as i knew its probably already been brought up. The search wouldnt load or work at all so i figured i would just ask.

I am traveling to new york city, and am wondering if i can conceal carry there or how it works....

Good God NO!

- OS

Guest bkelm18

Only if you love prison. Not only does the state of NY NOT honor any other state's permit, you can't carry in NYC even if you have a NY permit without special permission from the NYC Police Commissioner.

Edited by bkelm18

You really can't even carry a pocket knife in NYC. While the law says certain knives with blades under 4" are OK, the definitions are so vague that police can arrest you on 'deadly weapons' charges for a small, basic (non-tacticool) pocket knife.

IOW, if you do carry a basic pocket knife, don't clip it to your belt or pocket - conceal it and make sure you read up on where you can and can't carry it. They have CRAZY laws up there, lots of sheep.

Only if you love prison. Not only does the state of NY NOT honor any other state's permit, you can't carry in NYC even if you have a NY permit without special permission from the NYC Police Commissioner.

The odds of winning the lottery are better than legal carry in NYC.

Guest 270win

You might want to just take pepper spray to carry in NYC. Out of staters can only take handguns to New York for NRA sanctioned matches. You can take a long gun to New York, but New York City has some wierd time limit for out of towners without their special NYC rifle license. The rest of the state does not require a rifle license.

Last year we took a cruise with ports of call in the New England states and Canada. It departed from the docks at Red Hook in New York City (kinda cool because I have pics of the Statue of Liberty from the ship as we departed.) We went up a little early and spent the night before departure in NYC.

Anyhow, I knew I wouldn't be able to carry on the ship or in NYC so I left the gun at home. I did wonder about carrying pepper spray (not on the ship, obviously, but just for the trip.) What I was able to find indicated to my non-lawyer mind that even carrying pepper spray had the potential for causing problems. The spray I have is Sabre - which is supposedly what NYPD carries - so I figured the brand would be 'safe' to carry if carrying pepper spray were allowed there. IIRC, carrying spray is supposedly legal but there was something about you had to have bought the spray in New York or [maybe] an adjacent state, etc. I guess NYC wants to make sure that there are no 'on the job' risks for their criminal element. To be truthful, however, it was more stressful driving a full-size conversion van in NYC traffic (the GPS took us through downtown Manhattan to get to our hotel in Queens) than walking around without my gun. New Yorkers can have the friggin' place, as far as I am concerned.

You might want to just take pepper spray to carry in NYC.

Unless the law has changed, you cannot bring in pepper spray from out of state into NYC - you have to purchase it in NYC and register it...

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I'll probably be going to NYC again soon too.

I went last year & it wasnt so bad. I was there around New Years & there was literally a cop on every street corner. I'm not saying I wouldnt have loved to have been able to carry, but it definitely isnt as bad as it was back in the 80s as far as crime goes.

I might go again around Labor Day. I definitely wont be taking a gun & will probably just leave my knives at home too. The only weapon I will have will be my legs for running away & my cell phone for calling 911. :) I stay with some family that we have up in the Bronx. :)

I have to say, I never really felt "unsafe" the last time I was there. Like I said tho, maybe it was just 'cause it was New Years & every NYPD officer was working overtime. :poop:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did make a cane/walking stick to take on the trip. The reason I made one for it is that the other canes I made that I carry a lot have brass hames for the handles and I wasn't sure how well that would go over taking them on a cruise ship. The one I made had a cherry handle on an oak shaft. Even going through security to get on the ship - and remember, I was in a harbor in New York - no one batted and eye, although they did x-ray it to make sure there was nothing concealed inside or, I guess, to make sure it wasn't a 'loaded' or 'weighted' cane. I carried it in New York City, Boston, Bar Harbor (Maine), on Cadillac Mountain (in the Acadia National Park in Maine) and even in St. John's, New Brunswick and Hallifax, Nova Scotia (both in Canada) and no one ever even commented other than things along the lines of, "That's a nice cane." Unfortunately, there was a weak spot in the wood on the cherry and the handle has since broken so I'll have to make another handle for it. It was plenty sturdy to hold up throughout the trip, though. I have a knee that bothers me, sometimes, after a lot of walking so I really do sometimes carry a cane in case I need it for a little extra support but I'm pretty sure that in the right circumstance it could have ruined a potential assailants day, as well. This is what it looked like:

Leaning002.jpg

Of course, I am 40 and sometimes really do walk with a slight limp (because of the knee.) Also, when I carry one I actually use it even if my knee isn't bothering me so that it doesn't just look like I am carrying a big stick down the street. Someone who is 22 might draw a little more attention carrying a cane.

Edited by JAB
Do you really have to go?

Best Post yet.

Really I don't think you are allowed to talk about guns in New York. That place it like foreign Country. Different laws and everything.

Probably not safe to drink the water either.

One good thing about that cesspool is all the different types of food you can get. We only spent the one evening/night there but for lunch we walked about two blocks from the hotel straight up the street in one direction and had Peruvian food at a little hole in the wall Peruvian restaurant. Do you know how many opportunities I have had to eat Peruvian in my life? One - in New York.

For dinner, we walked less than half a block down the street from the hotel in the other direction and ate at a neighborhood 'pub' i also a hole in the wall - that served really good Irish/British pub fare, along with some other options.

Actually, im staying in PA in tannersville and only going to new york city for one day to see the empire state building and attractions.

Doing the whole new york pass thing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk