Regions Rant Again

I've really been getting fed up with Regions. Well, today was the final straw. It seems in all their greedy wisdom they have decided to charge my guys to cash their paychecks at my bank. I'm done with them. Gonna close my business and personal checking, savings, and cd's. I hope they choke on their greed and go bankrupt.

Oh, I should add another one of my gripes is that they are the only bank around here that will not allow carry permit holders to enter armed, which is their right in TN.

I should have dumped them long ago but just never would take the time. I pretty got to where I was doing all my banking through the drive thru because of the carry thing, but that still urks me. But, enough is enough!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dropped them when i saw where they were charging me for not using my checkcard every month. Also the ban of handguns and not being able to wear sunglasses or a hat in the building got to me.

I stick with credit unions, they actually allow carry and want our business.

I've really been getting fed up with Regions. Well, today was the final straw. It seems in all their greedy wisdom they have decided to charge my guys to cash their paychecks at my bank. I'm done with them. Gonna close my business and personal checking, savings, and cd's. I hope they choke on their greed and go bankrupt.Oh, I should add another one of my gripes is that they are the only bank around here that will not allow carry permit holders to enter armed, which is their right in TN.I should have dumped them long ago but just never would take the time. I pretty got to where I was doing all my banking through the drive thru because of the carry thing, but that still urks me. But, enough is enough!
Yeah the whole charging to cash a check that is written on their institution caught me by surprise a few years ago. I had written a check to a college friend to split some UT season tickets and they wanted to charge him 5 $ to cash it. Funny thing is....the lady tried to get him to open an account there so that he would not be charged the 5$. Of course he stated why would he want to have an account somewhere they didn't even honor their own checks.At the time, I had a loan tied up there, but after the posting, I will be moving my account in the near future.

Just to add to the list, we moved all of our business checking away from Regions last year. The games they are playing with deducting written checks from your account should be down right criminal. Not sure if they're doing this on personal account but there were ordering checks from the largest to the smallest in hopes of drawing the account below balance and making $35 fees more times on the smaller checks. Also they started holding electronic deposits an extra day about 2 years ago (ie deposits from 3rd party banks/credit card processors) to try and force you to use their credit card service (more expensive too).

We just up and moved everything one day to another bank that doesn't post and doesn't play games with our money.

I can't see how anybody is still with Regions after all the games they play.

I find it amusing that banks have been and always will be the common thing to complain about. Of course they'll try to get you to open an account to avoid a fee! They're in business to make a profit. Cashing hundreds of checks for non-clients per day adds up to a lot of fees and operating costs in back end processing. It's either charge the presenter of the check or charge the business owner for the check cashing fees. I'd bet you'd hear a lot less complaining from the business owner if that happened and a whole lot more telling people to get a bank account. Credit Unions are great but are non-profit entities so they don't have to worry so much about fees. And even some of them are having to start charging their clients fees just to cover operating costs. As far as the order of which checks they pay through first, most banks will pay the largest first, not so they can get more fees, but that in the event you write more checks than what you have money for (don't even get me started) your larger and more important purchases will be paid first and you won't get as much flack from the people who you did bounce checks on. I'd rather have my mortage paid and let my check to the baby-sitter bounce than risk a negative impact from my lender. But back to my original point, people who only use a bank to cash their checks or even open an account just to avoid a fee aren't the type of clients that banks want honestly. They don't make the bank any money and in some cases actually cost them money. I won't say I agree with all of any bank's policies but I can understand where they are coming from. And no, I don't work for Regions but I stay away from them because of their no carry policy and lack of customer service, not their fees. :D

Edited by gnmwilliams
Guest 270win

When Regions bought Amsouth a little while back, that seemed to make their customer service worse. I never was terribly impressed by Regions and just used the bank because of the large amount of ATM's. After buying Amsouth, customer service really went down the pot and when I tried to call Regions for anything it was like trying to call AT&T. I never liked that when it comes to my money. I opened up a business account elsewhere with a Tupelo, Mississippi based bank. I still have to go to some Regions banks because family still uses them but I know which branches I can go in legally and I carry my gun. No way would I go in a bank without a gun.

I still have to go to some Regions banks because family still uses them but I know which branches I can go in legally and I carry my gun. No way would I go in a bank without a gun.

There are unposted Regions banks in TN?

- OS

Today I walked in a crowded Credit union armed. I don't guess anyone noticed. I sure didn't show my cards.

I love my Credit Union.

+1

Why stay at Regions? Or why patron businesses that post and/or are against CCW's?

Ascend CU serves me well.

Guest tngw1500se

I bank at Y-12 and they're not posted. If they do post, I'll find another bank. I carry cash and of all the places I'd go unarmed, a bank is not one. Take your money elsewhere.

Well except that you're missing a few steps, businesses are already paying for writing the checks... Even if the check is not cashed at a Regions bank. It costs Regions less to cash the check themselves than it does to receive it from a third party bank and pay it (at least in theory it should). So your argument doesn't hold water on why they're charging to cash checks drafted on their accounts.

I'll also point out, most other "for profit" banks don't charge a fee to cash checks drafted on their own accounts... maybe if Regions wasn't trying to nickle and dime their customers to death they wouldn't be looking for somebody to buy them out right now.

As for overdraft protection/fees, trust me it's not something you aim for, but it sucks when they receive 30 sub-$5 pay checks and 1 large purchase check, they deduct the large purchase first then hit you for $35 a pop on the sub-$5 payroll checks. And don't even get me started on how often that little game happened because the ACH transfer didn't get added to the account before they started deducting checks for the day.

And for the record, we switched banks, and haven't had a single over draft even though we haven't changed a thing... the new bank just isn't playing any games like Regions. We receive our credit card deposits 1 to 2 days quicker, our overnight investment move happens without a hitch, and the money is always back in time the next morning to cover all the checks... and they process them in the order in which they receive them.

All and all Region just sucks IMHO.

I find it amusing that banks have been and always will be the common thing to complain about. Of course they'll try to get you to open an account to avoid a fee! They're in business to make a profit. Cashing hundreds of checks for non-clients per day adds up to a lot of fees and operating costs in back end processing. It's either charge the presenter of the check or charge the business owner for the check cashing fees. I'd bet you'd hear a lot less complaining from the business owner if that happened and a whole lot more telling people to get a bank account. Credit Unions are great but are non-profit entities so they don't have to worry so much about fees. And even some of them are having to start charging their clients fees just to cover operating costs. As far as the order of which checks they pay through first, most banks will pay the largest first, not so they can get more fees, but that in the event you write more checks than what you have money for (don't even get me started) your larger and more important purchases will be paid first and you won't get as much flack from the people who you did bounce checks on. I'd rather have my mortage paid and let my check to the baby-sitter bounce than risk a negative impact from my lender. But back to my original point, people who only use a bank to cash their checks or even open an account just to avoid a fee aren't the type of clients that banks want honestly. They don't make the bank any money and in some cases actually cost them money. I won't say I agree with all of any bank's policies but I can understand where they are coming from. And no, I don't work for Regions but I stay away from them because of their no carry policy and lack of customer service, not their fees. :confused:

Yes, banks like any business are in it to make money. But, Regions has crossed the line. There is a difference between making a reasonable profit and greed. Sell someone gas for an inflated price during a crises and it's called gouging. Ask a man to pay a service charge at his employers bank after he has busted his but all week in the hot sun (and this guy has got an outstanding work ethic) and I call that greedy gouging. Say he could go somewhere else. Well so could the crisis victim who needed to purchase gas. Both are over the proverbial barrel.

And, not only are they greedy, they are STUPID too. Not allowing legal carry. That's just stupid.

I bank at Y-12 and they're not posted. If they do post, I'll find another bank. I carry cash and of all the places I'd go unarmed, a bank is not one. Take your money elsewhere.

that is who I use. SOmeone posted several months back the Pres. of Y12 states they would not post.

Guest 270win

There are some that do not seem to have signs up properly, such as both entrances used by customers or none at all. Of course being in Memphis area, I can go across the state line to MS or AR and use Regions and there is not that problem at any of those branches.

Well except that you're missing a few steps, businesses are already paying for writing the checks... Even if the check is not cashed at a Regions bank. It costs Regions less to cash the check themselves than it does to receive it from a third party bank and pay it (at least in theory it should). So your argument doesn't hold water on why they're charging to cash checks drafted on their accounts.

I'll also point out, most other "for profit" banks don't charge a fee to cash checks drafted on their own accounts... maybe if Regions wasn't trying to nickle and dime their customers to death they wouldn't be looking for somebody to buy them out right now.

As for overdraft protection/fees, trust me it's not something you aim for, but it sucks when they receive 30 sub-$5 pay checks and 1 large purchase check, they deduct the large purchase first then hit you for $35 a pop on the sub-$5 payroll checks. And don't even get me started on how often that little game happened because the ACH transfer didn't get added to the account before they started deducting checks for the day.

And for the record, we switched banks, and haven't had a single over draft even though we haven't changed a thing... the new bank just isn't playing any games like Regions. We receive our credit card deposits 1 to 2 days quicker, our overnight investment move happens without a hitch, and the money is always back in time the next morning to cover all the checks... and they process them in the order in which they receive them.

All and all Region just sucks IMHO.

Oh I agree that many of the fees are very unwarranted and posting policies will vary from bank to bank. However, and this is just a general heads up, starting later this year, don't be surprised if more and more banks begin to charge fees for more things. It's not general knowledge yet but most banks will be eliminating their free checking accounts altogether. And before you say yours won't, most banks haven't sent out the memos to their clients yet, and many won't they'll just start charging all of a sudden. It's gonna get dicey!

Whats free checking? I pay enough in checking fees a year that many people here would quit their day jobs for it :lol:

Oh I agree that many of the fees are very unwarranted and posting policies will vary from bank to bank. However, and this is just a general heads up, starting later this year, don't be surprised if more and more banks begin to charge fees for more things. It's not general knowledge yet but most banks will be eliminating their free checking accounts altogether. And before you say yours won't, most banks haven't sent out the memos to their clients yet, and many won't they'll just start charging all of a sudden. It's gonna get dicey!
Guest 270win

Yes, we are almost better off just to put our money in a coffee can or mason jar and pay cash with the fees the banks try to slip in after you think you don't get hit with a fee (basically another form of interest)! Then you don't get any interest but they make interest off your money. Too bad I can't run a business that way.

JayC

user-offline.png

"...And for the record, we switched banks, and haven't had a single over draft even though we haven't changed a thing... the new bank just isn't playing any games like Regions. We receive our credit card deposits 1 to 2 days quicker, our overnight investment move happens without a hitch, and the money is always back in time the next morning to cover all the checks... and they process them in the order in which they receive them."

What bank do you use?

Edited by barewoolf
Guest WyattEarp
I've been debating on switching and reading all of these problems helped me do it! I've been having the same issues as listed above! Does anyone one know if Bank Of America is CCW friendly?

good god, you don't want to to do business with BOA, they're customer complaint city. Find a credit union or go to Sun Trust, but BOA is worse than Regions and they charge you (rip you off is more accurate) for everything under the sun.

• Moderators
good god, you don't want to to do business with BOA, they're customer complaint city. Find a credit union or go to Sun Trust, but BOA is worse than Regions and they charge you (rip you off is more accurate) for everything under the sun.

This.

I banked with BofA for several years. I left for many of the same complaints made about Regions regarding structuring deposits and drafts to manufacture overdraft fees. BofA was so bad about that they recently settled a class action lawsuit on that very subject. I too switched to a credit union and haven't had any problems since.

If it makes anyone feel better, I just had a friend use Regions online bill pay to send me a check for owed money. The check never came, so my friend made Regions FedEx Priority Overnight a check to me. I would guess that coming from Florida, it cost them around $50 for a $200 check!