Recommend a good book

TNFlyer

As the title says what have you read lately that was enjoyable. I was just at the book store and couldn't decide on a book.

I will be at the hospital all weekend for the birth of my new son or daughter and I need something for the down time. My most recent reads were One Second After, Seal Team Six, and Fighter Pilot to give you an idea what I enjoy reading.

Thanks

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An oldie but a goodie: Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. I haven't read too much lately unless you're interested in some Cisco books. Internet Routing Architectures is a page turner. I don't want to give too much away about the plot but let's just say the packet makes it to its destination.

Guest Scramasax

The bulk od my reading these days is SF. Almost anything from BEAN. There is a series of books written by Larry Correia called Monster Hunter International. He is a gun guy and is on THR forums. I reccomend you look him up.

Good luck and God Bless,

ts

+1 for Larry Correia and the Monster Hunter Series. Also Gina Kock's Alien Series--pretty similar to Correia's books.

And although a projected long series of books, possibly 6 to 9; Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen is excellent. I believe #5 is out now. It's about 2 WW1 era destroyers that are caught up in a monsterstorm in the opening days of WWII and are transported to an alternate reality/universe. Sounds a little hokey, but they are really good.

Guest Drewsett

W.E.B Griffin's series The Corps and Men at War are amongst my favorites. Each one is between 8-10 books around 3-500 pages, so that'll keep you busy awhile.

+ 1 on Griffin

The Dresden Files if you like laugh out loud urban fantasy. Not usually my thing but very good.

Lions of Kandahar if you want a nonfiction account of an Army special operations unit in Afghanistan.

War on the run: the epic story of Robert Rogers and the conquest of America's frontier if you want some history about the founding of the US Army Ranger Regiment.

Three hundred zeros if you want a funny and good account of hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Lone Survivor if you bloody well want to feel both proud and crying sad about a US Navy SEAL team in Afghanistan.

Of Crimes and Punishments if you are into historical criminal justice theory.

All excellent reads. Ok, Beccaria at the end maybe not so much.

Guest bkelm18

Three hundred zeros if you want a funny and good account of hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Lone Survivor if you bloody well want to feel both proud and crying sad about a US Navy SEAL team in Afghanistan.

+1 Both good reads.

Awesome guys! Great list of books. Still gonna be a tough decision, but at least now I've got some direction. Also, does anyone know if there are any bookstores in the Nashville area that carry any of Jeff Coopers books? I did just re-read The Art of the Rifle and he has a great writing style. I wouldn't mind reading some more of his work.

Just finished "One Second After" by William Forstchen. It was especially interesting to me because of the ties to the Asheville, NC area. Home territory for me and I have been to and could visualize many of the locations in the book. A great read and I understand it's being made into a movie. Books are always better than the movie.

I'm now into "Edge" by Jeffery Deaver. A real edge (no pun intended) of the seat page turner. Anything new in Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series is also a must for me.

Also, anything by John Sanford, especially the the "Prey" series. Better if read in the order written but still very good in any order.

I tend to love adventure/military fiction such as Clancy but one of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler...they always seem to be an enjoyable read and although it's nice if you can sort of start at the beginning with some of his earlier novels (since his characters don't change much other than getting older) you can really pick any, even his latest, and enjoy it.

That said, I love SciFi!

Guest WyattEarp

Dean Koontz, John Grisham, James, Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver, Vince Flynn, all good authors. I'm gonna have to pickup Dead or Alive by Clancy, haven't read that one yet.

Dale Brown is also a pretty good military fiction writer, I've read several of his and they are thrilling.

An oldie but a goodie: Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. I haven't read too much lately unless you're interested in some Cisco books. Internet Routing Architectures is a page turner. I don't want to give too much away about the plot but let's just say the packet makes it to its destination.

I loved all of Clancy's books, and I wish they would make Without Remorse Into a Movie, along with Executive Orders, and Debt of Honor.

Black Hawk Down is a good one if you haven't read it already.

the book was a great read, the movie was not so good

Guest 6.8 AR

McKays Book Store on charlotte Pike. They are a cool discount/used store.

you will be surprised of the selection. audiobooks and games, too.

Get a reader. I read a LOT and got a kindle as a gift last year, its awesome. If you finish the book you are on, get another one, tons for free or under $5, and it has a web browser (very limited, but still) and some decent games (cards, chess, and other simple things that do not require animation/motion). For the space taken up by 1 book, you can carry a whole library around. They are a little pricy, but for people that read a lot and often are on travel or in waiting rooms or whatnot, its worth it.

Guest bkelm18
Get a reader. I read a LOT and got a kindle as a gift last year, its awesome. If you finish the book you are on, get another one, tons for free or under $5, and it has a web browser (very limited, but still) and some decent games (cards, chess, and other simple things that do not require animation/motion). For the space taken up by 1 book, you can carry a whole library around. They are a little pricy, but for people that read a lot and often are on travel or in waiting rooms or whatnot, its worth it.

+1. I've actually started reading a lot more since I got my Kindle since there are so many free or inexpensive books for it.