Flash Mobs - Not Just a Philly Problem

Guest Victor9er

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Philly's Police Commissioner, Charles Ramsey's comments about 4:40 into the interview..."stupid, irresposponsible, no excuse for that kind of behavior..."

A very intelligent response.

Much better and more intelligent than "monkey see, monkey do".

Not saying it couldn't happen here but anyone notice that these are usually happening where the average person isn't allowed to carry a gun in public or at least have easy access to one?

Good point. I think that in almost any city in Tennessee some of the bad guys will not be walking back out of the door. I imagine some of our local geniuses may try a flash mob soon, but the sight of seeing one of their buddies brains on the floor will discourage them from doing it again.

• Moderators
Good point. I think that in almost any city in Tennessee some of the bad guys will not be walking back out of the door. I imagine some of our local geniuses may try a flash mob soon, but the sight of seeing one of their buddies brains on the floor will discourage them from doing it again.
;)

True this. I could see it happening here, say on Beale Street on the weekend where they've banned us from legally carrying and installed metal detectors, it would be open season on tourists and locals alike. that's one reason I never go down there whenever we have friends in town. I won't go anywhere at night in Memphis where I can't carry my gun with me. Just sayin'....

Guest Victor9er
Much better and more intelligent than "monkey see, monkey do".

And what is that supposed to mean? It's a common phrase that fits the circumstance quite well I believe. I didn't realize we were required to include an encylopedia description with our posts for it to be considered "intellegent"....

monkey see, monkey do: phrase - implies the act of mimicry, usually with limited knowledge of the consequences

:rolleyes:

There are some cities, and some districts of some cities, that have an outer and an inner door for 24 hour convenience stores, forming what's called a 'man trap;' both doors won't open at the same time and you have to be 'buzzed in' and 'buzzed out' by the clerk, and hi-res video while you're in between the doors. A bad guy could be trapped for the police in between the doors. Coming soon to a city near you.

Violent Flash Mobs - Violent Flash Mobs

There are more incidents than most realize. The incident in Maryland a few days ago just takes the cake - the cops waited for the mob to leave, then came in and took the report. They refused to call it robbery, instead filing it as a shoplifting incident.

It can happen anywhere, it can be brutally violent. I'm considering the proper tactical response... So far the best I can come up with is to clear the area as rapidly as possible, responding appropriately to anyone who poses a threat - including deliberately blocking my escape.

Guest WyattEarp
Looks like Kansas is having them too and they have guns...

Kansas City sets youth curfew after weekend shooting | Reuters

i understand the need for parents to be accountable for their children, but how is punishing the parents for what the kids do going to help anything? It's not going to stop the kids from doing what they're doing, especially when it's at the parents expense and not the kids.

This is one of the many reasons I moved out of that ****hole. The Kansas City City Council (and that of it's neighboring suburbs) are some of the dumbest people in the world.

In Missouri, age 17 is considered a legal adult. You can move out of your parents house without getting arrested or being reported as a runaway, you can legally consent to have sex, you can do everything except enter into a contract without your parents signature and buy cigarettes or beer.

So let's fine the parents $500, because their 17 year old who lives on his/her own, is out doing something productive past 9 pm, and is not a part of the Flash Mobs. (and for those who doubt that wouldn't happen, it does, i've lived there, seen it happen numerous times. I was out on my own when I was 17, and it happened several times, and it took a lot of arguing with Chief of Police to rectify the situation, after I had received the ticket.).

If the kids are out after 9 pm, and they're not 17 or older, throw 'em in jail for the night, and then release them to their parents the next day. fining the parents does nothing.

True this. I could see it happening here, say on Beale Street on the weekend where they've banned us from legally carrying and installed metal detectors, it would be open season on tourists and locals alike. that's one reason I never go down there whenever we have friends in town. I won't go anywhere at night in Memphis where I can't carry my gun with me. Just sayin'....

I'm with you on that. I have never had any issues, but I don't want to be unarmed if I do.

I am very leery of the idea that CCW will prevent or make any difference on "Flash Mobs"events. Once one of these events is in full effect it is nigh onto impossible for the involved observer to be able to pin down the actual person or persons starting the action. Also most of the mob effect is property damage and any personal violence is secondary (collateral effect), this leads to a real problem in proving that bodily harm to any one specific individual was intentional.

I am not trying to be legalistic but I am trying to foresee what a jury would think. If you shoot anybody you are going to have to prove to a jury that you were being attacked. Forget the "I don't have to prove anything. They have to prove I didn't have reason to believe imminent danger" theory, I have sat on juries and know they don't buy into that. You will end up having to convince them that you were in the right, regardless of the judges instructions.

If your target is a minor you are already probably in deep Kim Chee. Kids act mindlessly and juries are mommies and daddies that accept that . This is the big reason the legal system doesn't pursue it any further, they know it won't hold up in court.

The real nightmare is that the witnesses against you, and probably the only witnesses called ,will be members and friends of members of the mob. I really hope you don't think their testimony will help you!

Again "beat feet or formally: Discretion is the Better Part of Valor" strategy prevails IMHO.

Edited by wjh2657
Formatting
I am very leery of the idea that CCW will prevent or make any difference on "Flash Mobs"events. Once one of these events is in full effect it is nigh onto impossible for the involved observer to be able to pin down the actual person or persons starting the action. Also most of the mob effect is property damage and any personal violence is secondary (collateral effect), this leads to a real problem in proving that bodily harm to any one specific individual was intentional.

I am not trying to be legalistic but I am trying to foresee what a jury would think. If you shoot anybody you are going to have to prove to a jury that you were being attacked. Forget the "I don't have to prove anything. They have to prove I didn't have reason to believe imminent danger" theory, I have sat on juries and know they don't buy into that. You will end up having to convince them that you were in the right, regardless of the judges instructions.

If your target is a minor you are already probably in deep Kim Chee. Kids act mindlessly and juries are mommies and daddies that accept that . This is the big reason the legal system doesn't pursue it any further, they know it won't hold up in court.

The real nightmare is that the witnesses against you, and probably the only witnesses called ,will be members and friends of members of the mob. I really hope you don't think their testimony will help you!

Again "beat feet or formally: Discretion is the Better Part of Valor" strategy prevails IMHO.

I can guarantee you that the first time some thug gets shot while trying to assault a bystander during a flash mob people are going to think twice about participating in random violence.

They have identified some of those at the 7-11 store; charge them armed robbery. As a DA I would say that with a flash mob the threat of force is implied whether anyone says it or not.

Someone that is armed is going to be threatened by one of those mobs and some of those thug kids and going to get dropped where they stand. Hopefully we will get a ruling that the use of deadly force was justified, instead of the victim being sent to prison.

cuss.gif This just pizzes me off. This isn’t a race issue; these are thug kids that have no respect and no fear. cuss.gif

Not be able to go to college??? You have got to be kidding me; none of those thug azz kids are going to college.

New Footage Shows London Rioters Firing Shots at Unarmed Police And Helicopter

Footage of London Rioters Firing Shots At Unarmed Police | Video | TheBlaze.com

I would bet there will be more than one mommies boy with a pistol if this continues in the U.S. This is really scary to think about with the daughter going to college next week in memphis.

Won't be much to worry about except a car break in at U of M. Before my daughter graduated a couple of years ago the only major event over there was the Bradford robbery/murder and as almost always in Memphis the suspects knew their victim.

If your daughter does not hang around with trash she should be fine.