Got pulled over this morning with handgun in vehicle

I was actually surprised how simple it went from stories and videos I had seen online when getting pulled over with carrying.

I was expecting to be tossed on the ground, cuffed, gun took out unloaded etc (ok ok, im jk)

but i just handed my card with my license (i probably didnt even have to)

She asked if I had a handgun in the vehicle...I said yes.

She just asked where, and I responded with where.....and that was that.

Nothing else was said, she just asked to kind of not mess with that area.....honestly she didnt seem to concerned or sit and eye me while I was digging around. Said how she always has one as well, etc

got my ticket and went on my way. So I am guessing that as long as you act civilized, hand your card without being asked, it should go rather simple.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glocks-R-Us

my first time was quite different. I was in Hendersonville and got pulled over. I too handed the officer my card with my license and he asked if I had a gun in the car. I said yes. He asked where and I told him it was on my right hip he told me to put my hands out of the window and keep them out as he opened the door. Told me to get out with arms still through the window as he disarmed me and unloaded my weapon. He ran my info and came back and handed me my gun, clip, and the round that was in the chamber and told me he appreciated my patience and letting him know I was armed. Didn't even get a ticket although I was a bit nervous when all this was going on. I'm pretty young as well, I think that had a lot to do with it. :rolleyes:

Guest ArmaDeFuego

All cops, like all people, are different. They will treat you differently too based on how you look, how you are acting, etc.

Every traffic stop is a completely different event & will go differently every time. Some cops wont care if you have a gun & a few probably would yell & scream at you & toss you on the ground & cuff you. :)

I got pulled over and let the officer know I had my HCP and pistol. He initially asked if he could hold it and I let him. Once he realized who I was, he gave me my pistol back and sent me on my way. (I am not famous or nothing...He knew my dad from back in the 80s and 90s where they were police officers together)

but if it was not so friendly, I think it would have been a lot worse if you didnt. I have decided to inform, they are going to know anyway. Your DL & HCP are the same number.

My recent experience with the locals was not so friendly. I'll post about it sometime. Anyway, I'll never inform again until asked to do so.
I was actually surprised how simple it went from stories and videos I had seen online when getting pulled over with carrying.

got my ticket and went on my way. So I am guessing that as long as you act civilized, hand your card without being asked, it should go rather simple.

It very easy to get stopped, the closer your right foot gets to the floor the easier. Hehe. I just had to work that in there. :)

but if it was not so friendly, I think it would have been a lot worse if you didn't. I have decided to inform, they are going to know anyway. Your DL & HCP are the same number.

Same number yes, but unless they call in and check for a HCP which is separate check they don't find out. I have a scanner at home and that is not normally ask for. However when you show them your DL and HCP you are probably going to remind them to ask if you have any firearms in your car/truck if they have not already ask if you have any firearms.

Personally I have never been stopped with out being ask if I had any firearms. Never been stopped since I got my HCP though.

However, if there is a GUN they come to know about, they always call in SN and check for stolen and check the HCP to see if valid. So I have a feeling if I am checked locally I would be disarmed and checked.

My thing is going to be if they stop me and I answer yes and I have a long guns in a case in the back, I am not going to to be willing to let them open the case to check it just because they want to run the SN numbers (4th amendment, I do not consent.) I probably won't be able to do anything about them checking my pistol. Probably would not win on the gun in the case either.

So just keep it around the speed limit and try to no get stopped.

One thing most LEO's probably realize is that because you have a permit you went through a strict background check and since you informed them, the possibility of you being a dangerous person/criminal is very low. How many dangerous criminals fake a permit and inform the officer they are armed?

Got stopped a few months ago by a Knoxville PD motorcycle officer. I informed him of a weapon and HCP when he walked up. He said it wasn't necessary and asked where my weapon was located. Then, with a big smile, he said "if you don't show me yours I want show you mine". I think he appreciated my being out front with him. By the way, I deserved ther stop and the ticket>

I recently had to call the police for a suspicious object and agreed to wait at the side of the road for the police officer to arrive, you know 'meet the officer.'

I volunteered to the dispatcher that I was an HCP holder and that I was armed. I volunteered to lock the pistol in the car's lock-box prior to the officer's arrival and the dispatcher said 'yes' . . . 'great' . . . and 'I'll inform the officer.'

The whole interaction with the dispatcher and police officer was VERY cordial and professional. They were re-assured that I was not a threat. I was treated very much like 'one of the good guys.'

I imagine that police officers really do not like surprises, their lives are dangerous enough as it is.

I got popped by THP on the way to Knoxville a couple weekends ago. Definitely earned my ticket.

Fortunately, I don't make a habit of getting pulled over. I always put my hands on the wheel, just to keep things friendly. I told the trooper I had my HCP, was carrying, and would do exactly as he told me to. He asked where my license was (left pocket) and the weapon (right hip). He told me not to mess with the weapon, but then chuckled and said I probably wouldn't do that, since I'd told him I had one. He was also very appreciative that I'd been up front with him.

While it may not seem like a big deal, he really did return the favor. I know my speed was 91 or 92 in a 70. He wrote the ticket for 89. Why does this matter? 90+ MPH requires a court appearance and can mean big problems. You can't just mail that one in. At 89, I get driving school and no points, no insurance increase, and no hassle. It does pay to be up front!!

I recently had to call the police for a suspicious object and agreed to wait at the side of the road for the police officer to arrive, you know 'meet the officer.'

I volunteered to the dispatcher that I was an HCP holder and that I was armed. I volunteered to lock the pistol in the car's lock-box prior to the officer's arrival and the dispatcher said 'yes' . . . 'great' . . . and 'I'll inform the officer.'

The whole interaction with the dispatcher and police officer was VERY cordial and professional. They were re-assured that I was not a threat. I was treated very much like 'one of the good guys.'

I imagine that police officers really do not like surprises, their lives are dangerous enough as it is.

Everybody is free to do as they want, but I don't think I'd ever disarm just because I was about to talk with a LEO.

Everybody is free to do as they want, but I don't think I'd ever disarm just because I was about to talk with a LEO.

Fallguy,

True enough, and situational. Granted, I have the right to remain armed. If it was on my property, I probably wouldn't. If I was in a store and away from ready secure storage, I probably wouldn't. In this particular situation, it was convenient enough to do and I wanted the officer to be calm and see things my way.

If my weapon is for my protection, and an officer is present, what am I protecting myself from? At the time of his arrival, he's got the watch.

Out of respect, I didn't mind deferring to the LEO, especially since I volunteered and that kept it my call. If he proceeded to disarm me, which I understand is his right, I have less control.

In my mind, it's a lot like being a citizen first responder at a traffic accident. Do what you can to treat the injured, step back for the professionals when they arrive, and be at their disposal to assist. Because you offer to defer, you are usually asked to assist. This comes from my line of work, in which I have been a citizen first responder on about . . . seven very serious traffic accidents.

Just my way of looking at it . . .

Edited by QuietDan

Question is, how long did you have to wait for the officer? I would not have wanted to wait beside the road unarmed with my pistol in the box. Just thinking, what if the wrong people showed up to claim said package and didn't like you watching it and wanted to make trouble and your pistol is now in the box. PD is minutes away.

Question is, how long did you have to wait for the officer? I would not have wanted to wait beside the road unarmed with my pistol in the box. Just thinking, what if the wrong people showed up to claim said package and didn't like you watching it and wanted to make trouble and your pistol is now in the box. PD is minutes away.

Vontar,

Just closing the tailgate when he pulled up. I saw him coming across the top of the highway bridge.

I figured since you had to call police and wait, there was a time delay since you spoke to a dispatcher. Sounds like you didn't have much time to even put it in the glove box or were ever you put it.

Come to think about it, the only time I have been armed and found my self talking to a LEO I was in a GUN shop. No big deal there, everyone was armed. I was probably and most certainly under armed.

• 4 months later...
Guest ChrisDH

I got pulled over for 52 in a 45mph zone. The officer was coming towards me and flipped a U-turn and lit me up. I pulled over with the windows down, shut off my truck with both hands on the steering wheel. When he asked for proof of Insurance, registration and my license, I too handed over my HCP. He asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle and what it was... I had my Glock 20 between the passenger seat and center console and told him where it was. He never even walked back to his cruiser to run my ID. He noticed I had a CDL and told me he was going to cut me a break and just let me go on my way with a warning... Very nice officer. I politely thanked him and drove on home. Not sure if it was the CDL on my license or the concealed carry permit that helped in this situation or a combination of things. But, he actually asked how I liked the 10mm and how bad it's recoil was...lol. Made a little small talk about guns and then he sent me on my way. It's nice to meet officers that are pro-carry.

In the example you're giving the officer has no duty to protect you.... you still have that duty for yourself. Second, the officer may well be a trouble magnet...

Just because a police officer is standing next to you, doesn't really change whether stuff goes sideways or not... At the end of the day, I'm the only personal obligated to protect myself and my family...

I'm not going to volunteer anything until we get a law which prohibits officers from checking the s/n on firearms of otherwise law abiding citizens, and creating a backdoor gun registry with that information.

Fallguy,

True enough, and situational. Granted, I have the right to remain armed. If it was on my property, I probably wouldn't. If I was in a store and away from ready secure storage, I probably wouldn't. In this particular situation, it was convenient enough to do and I wanted the officer to be calm and see things my way.

If my weapon is for my protection, and an officer is present, what am I protecting myself from? At the time of his arrival, he's got the watch.

Out of respect, I didn't mind deferring to the LEO, especially since I volunteered and that kept it my call. If he proceeded to disarm me, which I understand is his right, I have less control.

In my mind, it's a lot like being a citizen first responder at a traffic accident. Do what you can to treat the injured, step back for the professionals when they arrive, and be at their disposal to assist. Because you offer to defer, you are usually asked to assist. This comes from my line of work, in which I have been a citizen first responder on about . . . seven very serious traffic accidents.

Just my way of looking at it . . .

I'm not going to volunteer anything until we get a law which prohibits officers from checking the s/n on firearms of otherwise law abiding citizens, and creating a backdoor gun registry with that information.

I know that LEOs do this all the time, but don't they need PC in order to run the numbers?

I know, I know... "its illegal to carry in TN and a HCP is a defense to that"... however, code states that LEO can only temporarily disarm you if he believes his/yours/others safety is at risk, so if that criteria isn't met how do LEOs have the right to take your weapon and run the s/n? Isn't that treading close to 4th Amendment?