Auto Knives

I was in Cumberland Transit the other day. They sell Benchmades Auto Knives, including one model of what I've know to be called a Stiletto (!!) the lady at the counter said that their illegal to carry unless you have a carry permit. I thought TN's HCP only applied to handguns. Am I wrong on this?? Is there a... Knife carry permit? (I feel silly even typing that)

-a

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles;

An offense under subdivisions (a)(7)-(8) is a Class A misdemeanor.

“Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

(:) Operation of gravity or inertia

Guest boatme99

Another idiotic law. I wish Tennessee would update to something more like Floridas laws. Concealed Weapons Permit, legal to carry anything concealed except explosives and ballistic knives. Anywhere.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Another idiotic law. I wish Tennessee would update to something more like Floridas laws. Concealed Weapons Permit, legal to carry anything concealed except explosives and ballistic knives. Anywhere.

I'm pretty sure its the same in KY. They issue CCW permits, which allows the concealed carry of numerous deadly weapons.

Tennessee definitely needs to update their law on this. I am still waiting for just ONE person to be able to explain to me how in the HELL it makes sense that I can carry a gun for personal protection but not a tiny switchblade knife. It boggles the mind.

How on earth is this law constitutional?

That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

How can an out and out ban of certain types of weapons, fall under the ability for the legislature to regulate the wearing of weapons to prevent crime?

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles;

An offense under subdivisions (a)(7)-(8) is a Class A misdemeanor.

“Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

(:) Operation of gravity or inertia

You are correct. You have to be Military, Police, or EMT/Fire Rescue, to carry. We can however own them, just not carry.

Actually, if you read the statute, there's no exception for EMT/Fire Rescue to carry them.

There is, however, a proviso that a store may sell them to "emergency medical technicians".

- OS

Actually, if you read the statute, there's no exception for EMT/Fire Rescue to carry them.

There is, however, a proviso that a store may sell them to "emergency medical technicians".

- OS

Interesting, I assumed they could. I wonder if they do, since they can buy them? I would assume if you can buy one by being and EMT, you could carry under the same pretense. Another strange law.

Interesting, I assumed they could. I wonder if they do, since they can buy them? I would assume if you can buy one by being and EMT, you could carry under the same pretense. Another strange law.

Well, I can own them under the law as curios, ornaments, or keepsakes, but can't buy them. Except of course that I can. While a cop watches, even.

- OS

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I'm still trying to figure out if my M&P MAGIC spring assist knife is legal here in TN or not. I get different answers depending on who I ask. I know the SMNW sells them to anyone & they say they ARE legal in TN. As I read the law I'm not so sure though. I'm guessing it would just come down to how good or bad a mood the officer is in that sees me with it.

Its got a button on it but TECHNICALLY its attached to the blade & not to the handle, although it looks like its on the handle. It could probably be argued in court either way. But do I really want to have to go to court over it?

Smith & Wesson® M&P M.A.G.I.C. Linerlock with Teflon® Coated Clip Point Blade - Plain

WHY O WHY can our legislators not just pass a law that turns a HCP into a carry concealed deadly weapons licence & call it a day? :)

its totally unenforced then. I have a damascus steel ultra sharp, large size switchblade that I bought not too long ago, and at a gun show where nearly every knife vendor has a few of them. Most of them wouldnt stand up to "use" as a weapon, the handles are pretty sorry. But they sell the heck out of them.

its totally unenforced then. I have a damascus steel ultra sharp, large size switchblade that I bought not too long ago, and at a gun show where nearly every knife vendor has a few of them. Most of them wouldnt stand up to "use" as a weapon, the handles are pretty sorry. But they sell the heck out of them.

You're allowed to buy and own them as collectables and such. You just can't carry them on your person. Some stores won't sell switchblades to non police and military, but I believe that is just the store policy, not law.

...Some stores won't sell switchblades to non police and military, but I believe that is just the store policy, not law.

Dunno about that, Neil -- seems to be. TCA says manufacture and sales are an exception to prosecution but only ...

"(8).... provided, that the sale of such knife was limited to:

(A) Retail establishments that represent in writing under oath before a notary public that they only sell the knives to law enforcement officers, military personnel and emergency medical technicians;

(:P Law enforcement officers;

© Military personnel; or

(D) Emergency medical technicians."

- OS

Dunno about that, Neil -- seems to be. TCA says manufacture and sales are an exception to prosecution but only ...

"(8).... provided, that the sale of such knife was limited to:

(A) Retail establishments that represent in writing under oath before a notary public that they only sell the knives to law enforcement officers, military personnel and emergency medical technicians;

(:P Law enforcement officers;

© Military personnel; or

(D) Emergency medical technicians."

- OS

I was sure you'd chime in with the truth sooner or later.

But technically it doesn't say they 'can't' sell them but they would be precluded from prosecution. Is that correct?

How do people buy them here, online?

I get a Sportsman/shooters catalog in the mail every now and then, I noticed that sales of any knives with a blade over 4" is restricted in TN., also break action and electronic ignition muzzel loaders. Those are the only two items restricted in TN. You can order all the high cap mags, ammunition, AR and AK accessories you want to. Kinda silly you can't order a good hunting knife.

Maybe we need to e-mail some reps and get a good knife de-regulation bill passed, that's if anti-gun Governor Haslam would sign it.

You can buy or possess a knife with a blade over 4 inches as long as you do not have 'intent to go armed'. There are exceptions to possessing a knife with a blade over 4 inches WITH 'intent to go armed' such as hunting, fishing, camping, on your own property.