SHTF - What are you going to do with your sh*! ? Outhouse anyone?

I couldn't find where this had really been discussed so I'm tossing this out there. What are you going to do if the toilets are out of commission for a long time? We talk about food, water, ammo, etc. but what about the sh*! that just came off the fan?

I got to thinking about this after listening to a guy I know that is a retired ATF and now a consultant for Homeland Security. His comment was about how vunerable our waste water treatment plants are and how much havoc it would cause if it got disabled. Then I realized I've got no plan right now. I found this one article that was a good summary.

Human Waste and Disposal

While I totally agree that having an outhouse is the best long term option, I'm not really able to put one in where I currently live. Do any of you that are in rural areas already have an outhouse?

Although not the best option, I'm guessing the bucket method might work well enough at least short term. Any thoughts on the fecal matter?

Guest lostpass

I'll have a lot to get rid of cause my wife is always giving me plenty of sh** so...

Oh, you were being literal. Well I've got a clean out thing in my yard so I'd probably unscrew that and poop down that hole. I wouldn't want to haul all the water necessary to use the inside toilet.

Can you burn that stuff?

I'll have a lot to get rid of cause my wife is always giving me plenty of sh** so...

Oh, you were being literal. Well I've got a clean out thing in my yard so I'd probably unscrew that and poop down that hole. I wouldn't want to haul all the water necessary to use the inside toilet.

Can you burn that stuff?

You can burn it. Just be ready for the stench of stenches.

They sell a toilet seat that fits onto a 5 gallon bucket. ...

I have one, including the bucket. Camouflage no less.

Buncha plastic bags, tie it up between dumps against odor, figger 3 or 5 dumps in a bag, take it outside and bury. If I had own land, would just dig a privy.

- OS

Prior to moving to TN five years ago, I worked for 4.5 years in a 25 million gallon per day waste water treatment plant in south eastern Virginia. The first year I was working there I also did service calls for several for several small communities as well. Your retired ATF friend is very much right on. While most plants have back up generators, the most only have enough fuel to last maybe a week without resupply. Many of the pumping stations located through out town did not have back up power to pump stuff to the plants.

Due to the highly corrosive nature of waste water, maintenance is a never ending constant thing in the plants. Gravity lines leading to the pump stations plug frequently too. If someone wanted to wreack havoc on the system all they would have to do is, pop a manhole cover, drop in a few bags of gravel and hydraulic cement(hardens even under water often used for repairing pipes while still in use) and the line and manhole are gonna have to be dug up and replaced.

When lines plug during normal times they locate the plug, bring in septic and camel trucks to suck out as much water as they can, insert inflatible plug to keep the poo water off the workers and continue to use the trucks to pump out the water until the line is put back in service. You can pretty much bet if there were 4 or more large lines plugged at one time even major cities will be in a world of hurt.

As far as what to do as an individual looking for alternative needs for waste management goes..... there are commercial composting and incinerating toilets available, lots of out house plans online as well as latrine plans and the trusty 5 gal bucket. In any case.... get a a few 50lb bags of agricultural lime( $5-ish per bag). This will speed up the breakdown and help kill to the smell as well. For the bucket method put about 4" of kitty litter in the bottom of the bucket to absorb the urine and dust the poo pile with lime after each use.

They sell a toilet seat that fits onto a 5 gallon bucket. There are also composting toilets that let you put fecal matter on your garden. Owner Built Systems - Composting Toilet World
I just do not trust this crap. We have seen over-use of animal poo by farmers lead to e-coli problems, and human poo can have some worse nasties in it. I would NOT use it to grow food crops. Flowers or something, sure, but never a food crop.
To be honest, if things are so bad that this is an issue, you can just dig a hole in your back yard and go to town. It's not like code enforcement is going to be prowling about to fine people...

My thoughts exactly. I live in a condo unit and would not hesitate to go dig a hole out back, regardless of whether or not I technically own the property.

Another thought. If your on city sewer, and others continue to manually flush sewage with outside water. What are the chances of backups into you're home. I'd be prepared to cap your main line if necessay.

Thanks to everyone for the comments so far. As I mentioned my main concern is long term outages with the sewer. You guys with septic tanks have an advantage for sure as long as you have a good water source.

In any case.... get a a few 50lb bags of agricultural lime( $5-ish per bag). This will speed up the breakdown and help kill to the smell as well. For the bucket method put about 4" of kitty litter in the bottom of the bucket to absorb the urine and dust the poo pile with lime after each use.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. I now have that on my list to aquire.

Another thought. If your on city sewer, and others continue to manually flush sewage with outside water. What are the chances of backups into you're home. I'd be prepared to cap your main line if necessay.

Good advice.

A composting toilet is the answer. A good one can be had for around 1500. A friend of mine has one in her business and has no problems. I will have a composting toilet in my new bathroom right beside the flush toilet and bidet. With an outdoor wood furnace I have a perfect place to dispose of it. Of course living out in the boonies I have a septic system with a cistern back up, and a hand pump to get water from the cistern if needed.

To be honest, if things are so bad that this is an issue, you can just dig a hole in your back yard and go to town. It's not like code enforcement is going to be prowling about to fine people...

It is not an issue of code compliance, it is a disease prevention and control issue. Short term and limited population densities and it may not be a problem...... it is the long term and/or higher pop densities that the simple poop in the backyard becomes a major health risk. In a long term event are you gonna dig a new hole every day?