Emily Gets Her Gun - Washington Times Article

Guns - Washington Times

This is a very interesting series of articles by Washington Times journalist Emily Miller. She lives in D.C and decided to go through the process of legally obtaining a gun, and is blogging the whole process. It's a work in progress, and she does not have her gun yet, but is committed to documenting the process.

Start at the bottom of the page and work your way up. The oldest blogs are at the bottom of the page.

Guns - Washington Times

This is a very interesting series of articles by Washington Times journalist Emily Miller. She lives in D.C and decided to go through the process of legally obtaining a gun, and is blogging the whole process. It's a work in progress, and she does not have her gun yet, but is committed to documenting the process.

Start at the bottom of the page and work your way up. The oldest blogs are at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked for future reference :D

• 3 weeks later...
The NRA shooting range is so sleek and modern, you’d expect Jack Bauer on “24†would be in there. Each booth had a touch pad to control the target. The 150-yard range ended on a special slope designed to slow down the bullets and then hold them to be recycled. The climate-controlled air unit took out the gun powder smell.

:) Feet, yards…. Whatever it takes.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
:) Feet, yards…. Whatever it takes.

Looking at the pictures, it really could be a 150 yard range. Also, thanks for posting back up about this. Had forgotten to check back for updates.

Unreal.

I complain about our laws here in TN sometimes, but am thankful we live in a state that respects the very basic rights at some level.

Good for her for doing this and reporting about it. Hopefully the NRA can help, though it's a bit disconcerting that they didn't even know they didn't offer the safety course...

Unreal.

I complain about our laws here in TN sometimes, but am thankful we live in a state that respects the very basic rights at some level.

Good for her for doing this and reporting about it. Hopefully the NRA can help, though it's a bit disconcerting that they didn't even know they didn't offer the safety course...

I'm sorry but you've mistaken TN for someplace like AZ, or Alaska... Our gun laws are much closer to those of Washington DC than those of truly free states... You can't even legally own a switchblade in this state, we have to pay outrageous and unconstitutional fees for the privilege of purchasing a firearm, and even higher taxes on ammo.

Don't even get me started on the HCP process here... The nearly entirely bogus corporate welfare of 'training' classes required by the state, the fee that is so high the state can't even create ways to spend all the money legally, finger print checks, and one of the few states where a sign posted on a door can make an otherwise law abiding citizen go to jail.

You're right we're not as bad off as Washington DC, but don't make it out like we're anywhere near done getting rid of stupid laws which only serve to better criminals, politicians, and corporate welfare gun training courses.

Nice over-reaction - I said nothing like that.

Our rights are respected at a very basic levels - that's all I said.

Good grief.

I'm just disagreeing... the government thinks that firearms ownership is a privilege that they can grant you... Which is pretty much like DC.

The TN legislature doesn't view firearm ownership or possession to be a right in anyway shape or form.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a couple more updates on Emily's blog where she is documenting her attempt to get a gun in DC. Her latest one describes the onerous requirement to take a gun safety class and spend time during that class at a range. The ironic part is that there is a DC requirement that NONE of the training be allowed to be performed inside the city limits!

Check it out here: Guns - Washington Times

I'm sorry but you've mistaken TN for someplace like AZ, or Alaska... Our gun laws are much closer to those of Washington DC than those of truly free states... You can't even legally own a switchblade in this state, we have to pay outrageous and unconstitutional fees for the privilege of purchasing a firearm, and even higher taxes on ammo.

Don't even get me started on the HCP process here... The nearly entirely bogus corporate welfare of 'training' classes required by the state, the fee that is so high the state can't even create ways to spend all the money legally, finger print checks, and one of the few states where a sign posted on a door can make an otherwise law abiding citizen go to jail.

You're right we're not as bad off as Washington DC, but don't make it out like we're anywhere near done getting rid of stupid laws which only serve to better criminals, politicians, and corporate welfare gun training courses.

Mentioning knives and laws I saw a double edged knife on here for sale. Aren't those illegal to carry in TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest bkelm18
Mentioning knives and laws I saw a double edged knife on here for sale. Aren't those illegal to carry in TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Only stipulation on carrying knives is that the blade length has to be less than 4".

Well, now, let's not go further beyond the pale than warranted:

... and one of the few states where a sign posted on a door can make an otherwise law abiding citizen go to jail...

$500 fine only (and to letter of law, loss of permit, though this hasn't apparently been tested yet).

...The TN legislature doesn't view firearm ownership or possession to be a right in anyway shape or form.

How is firearm ownership repressed more than in the "free" states? That is indeed enumerated as a right in the TN constitution.

Although I agree with you that even that statement in the TN Constitution is double-speak for the carrying of arms. Can "bear" but not "wear", doh.

- OS

You should sit in on one of my classes after someone who has never seen a gun in real life decides to get armed. I had one last week who couldnt stop shaking for the 1st 30 min of our session. Not everyone was born into a gun friendly family. Not everyone knows what to do with a handgun. The classes give a very very basic understanding of how to handle a handgun. You're acting like the TBI comes and takes your 1st born in exchange for a permit.

It takes a day and a half including dealing with the DOS. A couple of hundred bucks...at least you dont have to be bonded anymore. At least then you can actually carry a pistol on your person in public.

Corporate welfare....funny. do you know what a PITA it is to get a school started? Fees, insurance, instructors, most instructors I know have other full time jobs and train at night and on weekends.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Funny you should mention cost. This was the only thing I ever noticed in Connecticut that was cheaper than TN. permit fees there were half the price of here. I thought it was odd.

MILLER: I bought a gun, but... - Washington Times

Here's another entry in Emily's blog about her quest to get a gun in DC. She's jumped through all their hoops and done everything by the (not very well written) book, adn finally ordered her gun. But it's not over yet. There are more fees to pay, and tests to take before she can claim the gun she bought and paid for.

Unbelievable!