Questions about trading in to go Glock...

Paladin132

Howdy folks, I have not been in a gun store in far, far too long. I have recently been thinking of picking up a Glock for carry. The thing is I have two weapons that fit that bill already, and I will probably have to trade them in to foot the bill.

I have a .40 Springfield Armory XD Service with 3838 rounds through it and a stainless Sub Compact with 2321 rounds through it. Both are in excellent condition. Neither was carried much and both are cleaned and oiled after every trip to the range, and usually once every couple of months of sitting around. Cleaning my weapons is habitual for me since my time in the military. Both are mechanically sound, and I have five 12 round magazines for the service size, two 12 round magazines (with the grip extension) and a pair of the 9 round magazines for the Sub Compact size. Both still have all of the items that come in the box from Springfield as well. I have a IWB Galco holster that works with either.

So, now all that said, I am wondering a) what I may get out of them and ;) what does a 21, 30, and 36 run now days, (preferably with night sights) what do the magazines cost, and is there c) anything I should know about a Glock that I may not know having not owned one before.

Just trying to gather some information before I go looking around gun stores seeing what I can see, since I figure there are a number of folks here that are "in the know" so to speak. I appreciate the input folks.

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Any special reason you feel like you need to switch over to Glock? Your XDs are great little guns, and you seem to have a fair amount of practice on them.

Everyone I met that had an XD would never trade it in for a glock. Your not under powered with a .40 and being well versed with it plus the extras Im supprised.... BUT being im a glock fan I wont try to talk you out of it.

My last trip to Academy sports I think I saw $519? $525?. You can look around for a used one $400-475 depending on condition. The nite sites you ask will raise the price $50-$100 or so. Mags are $15-25 depending where you get them.

I have no idea on what the XD's will bring. If they function 100% and you shoot real well with them, Id trade one of them off for a glock and see if you shoot it as well as the XD.Borrow or rent a G-21,30 and try it before you buy one. I dont know if the grip angle is same or not. Glock has no external safety.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Mike

You won't get much out of them. Gunstores adhere to the buy low, sell high. Realistically, you may get $200 a piece for your trades.

Going from the XD to the Glock you will need to be aware of the change in grip angle and the lack of a grip safety. Other than that the triggers work pretty much the same way.

Both of your pistol's are every bit as nice as any Glock you might get but I understand the intrest in trying out something newer or different. You should be able to obtain a good used 3rd gen g-22 or g-23 w/o paying any difference at any good gun shop. A FTF trade with someone may enable you to trade holster's etc as well. FWIW I suggest you find a store willing to let you put a Glock on layaway and pay it off in 60 or 90 days. Then just keep what you've already got, while adding to the collection.

Howdy folks, I have not been in a gun store in far, far too long. I have recently been thinking of picking up a Glock for carry. The thing is I have two weapons that fit that bill already, and I will probably have to trade them in to foot the bill.

I have a .40 Springfield Armory XD Service with 3838 rounds through it and a stainless Sub Compact with 2321 rounds through it. Both are in excellent condition. Neither was carried much and both are cleaned and oiled after every trip to the range, and usually once every couple of months of sitting around. Cleaning my weapons is habitual for me since my time in the military. Both are mechanically sound, and I have five 12 round magazines for the service size, two 12 round magazines (with the grip extension) and a pair of the 9 round magazines for the Sub Compact size. Both still have all of the items that come in the box from Springfield as well. I have a IWB Galco holster that works with either.

So, now all that said, I am wondering a) what I may get out of them and :rolleyes: what does a 21, 30, and 36 run now days, (preferably with night sights) what do the magazines cost, and is there c) anything I should know about a Glock that I may not know having not owned one before.

Just trying to gather some information before I go looking around gun stores seeing what I can see, since I figure there are a number of folks here that are "in the know" so to speak. I appreciate the input folks.

Thanks

Actually, it looks like everyone else has asked already.

If you still have a mil ID (retired or active) you qualify for mil/LE Glock program and can get one for ~$450 depending on model. Night sights will add to cost.

They are $397 for the Glock. Now, if you want to get it locally and have it that day, Craig's Firearms on Chapman Hwy will get it to you as they are a Glock distributor and the price is $397 + tax for a Glock without nightsights and $447 + tax with nightsights. However, if you don't want to pay the sales tax, I would suggest looking for a distributor that's out of state that ships for free. Then it's $447 shipped plus a $30 FFL and background check fee.

$447 + $41.35 = $488.35 Locally before background check. Should be $498.35 total

$447 + $30 = $477 ordered online with background check included

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the price for any Glock except the 5" barrel models and they should all come with 3 factory Glock mags.

Edited by wcsc12
You won't get much out of them. Gunstores adhere to the buy low, sell high. Realistically, you may get $200 a piece for your trades.

You need to find a better store =/.

Dealer cost on the sub bi-tone is $464.76, we generally do $375-400.

Cost on the service is $416.53, we generally do $350 on them.

That is assuming the gun looks to be in good shape, no holster wear/scratches/whatever. That is also just figuring the two mags that came with the gun. Call around, see who gives you the best deal on them in your area. Obviously you would get a little more for them selling privately than to a shop that has to turn them around for a bit of profit. Not all gun stores are alike.

Thanks all. I basically decided that a Glock is more common and may be in my future line of work, so learning them now is a good thing. Nothing against the XD's, just figure if I am going to have to tote one someday for work, might as well get my hand broken from my 1911 (which is what happened to the XDs - I picked up my first 1911 not long after getting my permit and, well...)

Thanks for the input folks, you have all given me good food for thought and a place to start. Much appreciated.

I spent several range trips shooting my G27 beside my XD40sc. I shot them equally well and they were equally reliable and accurate.

I now carry the G27 as my wife likes the XD.

If you decide to sell the them, I may be interested.