Toyota Sequoia?

Sandman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I bought a Sequoia the first year that they came out and absolutely loved it. We put a ton of miles on it and never had an ounce of trouble out of it. In 2005 we traded it for a new Sequoia because that's the year they put captains chairs in the middle row which made it easier for our kids to get to the third row of seating. We love our Sequoia, I normally trade cars frequently, we have no plans to get rid of it unless it blows up (very doubtful) or when our kids are all driving and we don't need a kid bus anymore.

Edited by pitt2magic

I've gotten lots of good advice on repairs for various cars over on Automotive Forums.

Here's the Sequoia forum:

Sequoia - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

Glance through the first few pages. If you see the same issue in the thread titles repeatedly, consider that a common problem and decide if it's a big one or not to you. Something silly like "windshield washer hose clogged" or the like wouldn't keep me from buying a model, but a lot of transmission issues would.

ETA: I read through some of the Sequoia posts. I saw nothing that concerned me. The common question is how to program the remote garage door openers. It's not a very active forum, which could mean 2 things. there aren't many problems, or people who own a Sequoia don't do their own maintenance. The Jaguar forum is a good example of this. Very few threads relative to other brands, even for their smaller sales volume.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Administrator

I've read recently that the Sequoia is likely going to be cancelled in the next 1-2 years, tops, and that the name will go to a crossover platform if it is maintained at all. This doesn't mean it is a bad vehicle, just that if you're the kind who keeps cars for more than 6-8 years, parts for it may become a little more expensive and harder to come by down the road.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno nothing about vehicles. That 2012 Sequoia is handsome, looks better than the typical station wagon/minivan. Kewl that it has pretty good ground clearance and 4WD options. Expensive but most vehicles are nowadays.

For a few years my specs of a good toter included lots of seats for kids, school trips and such. Before that, a decent toter had to be big enough to carry a Hammond B3, Leslie Speaker and a PA system. Lately it would need to carry at least a few sheets of plywood.

Dunno if I'd want to pay $50,000 to tote plywood, but OTOH this picture shows it fully outfitted for Occupying Wall Street in Style! :confused:

int10.jpg

We drove a Tahoe and Yukon...the biggest thing for my wife was all the buttons on the Toyota that lowered an raised the seats by themselves. She couldn't get the seats back up in the Tahoe and that made her upset.

I looked into discontinuing the sequoia and it looks like Toyota says they don't plan to (if you believe it).

I worked for Ford, support Chevrolet, but that Toyota will outlast them both.

5 years ago I would agree with this, now not at all Toyota has lost a lot of its last forever luster

At the end of the day it is what you and your wife like the best, color, options they are all fine SUV's

Edited by willis68
5 years ago I would agree with this, now not at all Toyota has lost a lot of its last forever luster

At the end of the day it is what you and your wife like the best, color, options they are all fine SUV's

Correct, not near as reliable as the 90s early 00s but they still have the upper hand over the domestic vehicles.

I would seriously suggest the forum thing. I own an automotive forum, and can tell you they are a wealth of information. Find vehicles that you like and find internet forums dedicated to those vehicles. There you will find real people and any issues or problems that they have had. You can then decide which one you really want and be more informed going in as to the real world issues you may have. This can also give you ammo when dealing with the salesmen.

I used this process when buying a car for work. I was originally looking at Honda and Toyota for their gas mileage as I drive 80 miles round trip a day. I ended up buying a car for less than 1/2 the price of one of those. I have a manual 5 speed transmission, 155 Horse Power (30 more than a base model Civic), and I average 43-44 mpg combined city and HWY (about 10 more than a base Civic) and I only paid $7,500 for it used with 30,000 miles. Believe it or not the car is a Chevrolet, which is a plus for a good ole boy like me.

The important thing is that you get the vehicle that is going to meet the needs you have and as many as the wants as possible.

My second choice would be Chevy or GMC or isuzu mitsu fuso if I needed something one ton or larger.

My 97 T100 has 258k on it. Motor has never gone into except for timing belts and spark plugs. A/T has had fluid flushed. Never rebuilt. Truck has never not started and never left me stranded. I tow a lot with it,drag logs,and pull trees over with it almost every day.

I thought of gluing pink carpet on it. It just keeps going and going and going.

Edited by hornett22