Finally pulled the trigger...

ls3_kid

...and bought a Ruger MKIII Target pistol. It's stainless and has the adjustable sights. Can't wait to shoot it and the ammo price is amazing!! Also if anybody knows where I can get some good looking LEFT handed wood thumb rest grips that would be great. I'll be using some of the 1050 rounds I bought this week, hopefully tomorrow.

photo-14.jpg

photo-15.jpg

photo-16.jpg

Edited by ls3_kid
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club! I have a Mark II and a Mark III Hunter. These pistols are a much fun as a 1911 and as accurate a pistol as I have ever shoot.

Yeah I got this basically since I have been shooting my 1911 too much. .45 ACP burns a hole in my wallet.

Nice one. They are great guns. If you do not like the trigger, Volquartsen makes a trigger kit called the Accurizer for the Mark III. I put one in my Mark III Hunter. Also, don't get frustrated with field stripping it. It is a pain in the butt for everyone the first couple of times. Once you are used to it, it is a piece of cake.

Would it be in bad taste to ask how much you gave for it I would love to pick one exactely like that one. That is a sweet looking plinker you got

Well It was 479.99+tax at BassPro, my mom was with me and decided to open a BassPro credit card to get the 10% off (she has good credit and didn't mind) so it came out to 432.99+tax (lending the gun to me for now). It is about ~400 even on Budsgunshop.com however that is their cash price without shipping and the background check/FFL fees. Lastly got 10% 1050 rounds of .22 LR, some Shoot-N-C targets and 100 .45 ACP. Solid day.

You can get the grips from Ruger.com

Jeff

Thanks.

I'm thinking just these...

19926-L.jpg

Nice one. They are great guns. If you do not like the trigger, Volquartsen makes a trigger kit called the Accurizer for the Mark III. I put one in my Mark III Hunter. Also, don't get frustrated with field stripping it. It is a pain in the butt for everyone the first couple of times. Once you are used to it, it is a piece of cake.

Yes I have heard this is the biggest complaint about the gun. I figured I could just watch videos on YouTube how to do it? Also how often do you need to clean them with field stripping? I have heard every time (which I do with my Glock and 1911), heard up to every 5k and every where in between?

You have what is probably one of the greatest pistols ever created. I'm not talking about Rugers in general, but specifically this barrel/frame combo.

Never take it apart.

Do you mean field stripping or taking it all the way down?

I can't wait to find some good grips and send some down the pipe. I think I am more excited about this than when I bought my first 1911 a few months ago!

Edited by ls3_kid
Guest dubaholic2

i have the mkIII hunter and ill never part with it. greatest gun you could ask for. cheap to shoot and more accurate than ill ever be. reassembly is pita, but its worth it. congrats on your purchase. only bad thing i can see is that you got it at basspro :)

Rugers aren't that hard to detail strip and reassemble if you know how and have a bit of practice. I did a parts swap for an 5th Special Forces Group soldier the other day with his gun in my lap as I swapped parts out, showing him how it is done. I had a hard time the first time or two but now it is a snap. If you don't do anything else throw the mag disconnect away and replace it with a $7.00 MKII bushing or a Clark bushing. Next install a Volquartsen pre and over travel adjustable trigger with a Volquartsen sear. That will allow you to get the trigger to 2.5 or 2.25lbs with little over and pre travel. These two websites pretty much covers the MKII and MKIII, standard or 22/45.

detailstrip

www.1bad69.com

Rugers aren't that hard to detail strip and reassemble if you know how and have a bit of practice. I did a parts swap for an 5th Special Forces Group soldier the other day with his gun in my lap as I swapped parts out, showing him how it is done. I had a hard time the first time or two but now it is a snap. If you don't do anything else throw the mag disconnect away and replace it with a $7.00 MKII bushing or a Clark bushing. Next install a Volquartsen pre and over travel adjustable trigger with a Volquartsen sear. That will allow you to get the trigger to 2.5 or 2.25lbs with little over and pre travel. These two websites pretty much covers the MKII and MKIII, standard or 22/45.

detailstrip

www.1bad69.com

I am going to shoot it first see how it feels. As to modding handguns, I am too nervous I will mess something up. I have only been dealing with handguns for less than two years. I do not have all of the correct tools on top of that.

I have a MK3 and love it. It gets shot more than anything else.

You will enjoy owning it.

And i second the motion to never take it apart. Well, what the heck. Do it once so you know why

Does everybody, including you, mean take it completely apart or just field stripping? I've watched online and it doesn't look too bad field stripping it...

I am going to shoot it first see how it feels. As to modding handguns, I am too nervous I will mess something up. I have only been dealing with handguns for less than two years. I do not have all of the correct tools on top of that.

No tools are really required to a complete "detail" strip. However, I wouldn't recommend doing a "detail" strip unless you are modifying this gun. I "field" strip and clean mine about every 400-500 rounds. Some might say to never field strip it, but I disagree. The gun is very dirty after 500 rounds of CCI Minimag, and I have noticed a loss of accuracy. Once you have "field" stripped it a couple of times, it is a piece of cake, especially as the gun loosens up.

The other nice thing about the Ruger MK series is they are tanks. They are very hard to screw up.

No tools are really required to a complete "detail" strip. However, I wouldn't recommend doing a "detail" strip unless you are modifying this gun. I "field" strip and clean mine about every 400-500 rounds. Some might say to never field strip it, but I disagree. The gun is very dirty after 500 rounds of CCI Minimag, and I have noticed a loss of accuracy. Once you have "field" stripped it a couple of times, it is a piece of cake, especially as the gun loosens up.

The other nice thing about the Ruger MK series is they are tanks. They are very hard to screw up.

Thanks for clarifying, I will probably field strip it after one or two trips to the range. If/once I decide to mod the gun, the gun smith will probably handle that along with my 1911.

When you detail strip it, your young why not, do it over a big white terry cloth towel. Two things that always seem to fall out are the trigger plunger & spring and often the detent ball & spring in the safety. They are not near as small as the sear plunger/spring in a S&W M&P, but when they bounce across the floor and land in that 70's dark green shag carpet time spent looking for them gets irritating.

graycrait, while u-tube and the like make gun tinkering easier now than in the past I wouldn't go any further than field stripping a 22 pistol. Even then I have to completly disengage my mind to get it back together, some folk's just have the knack, I don't.