Opinions on Sig P232

leroy

Dear brother and sister pistoleros:______________

I'm kinda like "J. Thaddius Toad" in the "Wind in the Willows". He was the toad that had a "new mania" from time to time. His was the automobile. Mine is a look for a "bit larger" 380 ACP. I really like the walther "pp" size pistols. It appears to me that the sig p232 is just that size and to add icing on the cake, it has an external hammer. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from sig p232 users (...or pp, or sig 230...). Especially the "ham fisted" ones. I've got pretty good sized hands. I love my sig 238, but it seems to me to be about a size too small for a quick grab.

Please add your collective thoughts and experiences on these neat pistol(s).

Thanks,

leroy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Sig P230 was the first pistol I ever bought. Bought it a few days after my 21st birthday. Carried it for years before the modern lineup of pocket pistols came out.

They're sturdy and well built. With big hands, like any of the PPK sized weapons, hammer bite can be an issue. The only other thing to get used to is the European style mag release located on the bottom of the grip to the rear of the magazine. Magazine removal is a two handed operation - both to operate the release and to slide the magazine free of the weapon.

While I like my blued P230, the option of night sights on the P232 is desirable.

If you're ever over this way shoot me a PM and you're welcome to put some rounds through mine. It will either cement your need to own one or cure you of the desire.

Owned a stainless P230 for about a year. Great little shooter, relatively speaking. Accurate and comfortable. Good carry size for me. Mine liked the Prvi Partisan ammo and was alwas reliable. Steel's comments about the mag release are spot on. That was the only thing I disliked about it. Traded it for a SW4013 and kinda miss it.

• Admin Team

My 230 did not like the original Federal Hydra-shoks. If you remember the round, they had a very sharp, flat conical bullet. I only shot one box of those before moving to the more rounded Speer GoldDots. It shoots any JHP made in the last 10 years just fine.

Guest Bassman17SC

Got the Stainless P232 for my lovely a few months ago. While it shoots well and is very accurate, I am very glad I do not have to disassemble and clean the dang thing. Why? Because the @#$%&*! slide catch spring wants to continuously fly off the pistol. We now keep a stock of at least 2 spare springs. I would recommend a 9mm P239 instead. If you really want a .380 in this style, then look at Walthers and Bersas. I would imagine, however, that they may have similar take-down issues.

My wife's carry is a P232. I love it, though I would highly recommend some Hogue rubber grips as an addition. The decocker is a great option common on Sigs as you know and it is pretty easy to be accurate with for such a short gun. I haven't had the spring issue that Bassman had but I guess it's something to look out for.

The Pros:

• It's a Sig
  • Accurate for its size
  • Easy to conceal
  • Decocker instead of manual safety (DA/SA)

The Cons:

• Only seven rounds
  • No way to lock the slide without a magazine inserted
  • Magazine changes are not as easy as Glock/XD/1911

Overall a great gun. My wife had to have one after she shot a friend's and still loves it.

• Admin Team
Thanks to you all for posting your thoughts. A special thanks to MacGyver for the kind invitation to shoot. While im at it; does the p230/232 have the "slide bite" problem that the ppk's do?

Thank as always,

leroy

I've never seen anyone experience it, and a lot of people have shot mine over the years. I could see where it would be possible with a poor grip. The hammer seems to be the issue for more people. I think this is the case with the PPK as well. With the snappy recoil of the 380, extended sessions might leave a mark. Personally, with hogue grips I've never experienced either.

The offer to shoot it stands anytime. Likewise, I'll be over in Oak Ridge closer to you the week after Christmas. Let me know if you're still undecided and I'll bring it with me.

I have the P232 with Hogue grips and night sites and love it. I also have large hands and find many of the new carry guns too small for my liking. I have never had slide bite, but I also don't limp wrist it. For me, it is a great size to carry, throw in the truck, and just have in the night stand. The only thing that is annoying is the bottom mag release, but that isn't that big of deal to me. I think the Hogue grips make all of the difference in this model and highly recommend you get them if you would get one that doesn't have them.