Who Inspired Your Interste in Firearms?

So very sorry to hear of your recent loss--it's hard anytime, but especially at Christmas. Memories that bring a smile to your face will surely return in time.

My Dad and uncles were all hunters, some avid, some casual, but I was too young, and by the time I was old enough, they were either all gone or had lost interest in firearms. I have always felt a gap b/c I had anticipated being able to "...go one day when I'm bigger, right?" Alas, I then found a renewed interest when a friend and former Marine took my wife and I to the range one day near Murfreesboro--can't remember where it was. The flame was ignited, but was in grad school and had no money. Nearly ten years later, am still a newby but have caught the bug for sure. Just hate it when the wife asks me how many guns I'm up to now....uh, uh, uh, uh.......:D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lostpass

Sorry to hear of your loss Robert.

I came from a house without guns. No one had anything against guns but we didn't have any. Spent it all on the pacer or something.

When Obama got elected, or was close to getting elected my wife convinced me that he was coming for the guns. Well, I'd like to say I didn't by into that but, in truth, I did. Didn't know anything about guns and bought a beretta 92fs in a private sale (no paperwork, yo). Bought some ammo and decided at the very least I'd have something worth a lot of dough in the future. Kept looking at it and wanting to shoot. Couldn't stand it anymore and posted something on TGO about range etiquette.

OhShoot offered to meet me at the range and help me out. I was expecting a quick lesson on how not to shoot someone but he had a bunch of fun guns and let me shoot them. Hi Point Carbine represent (you say they are crap, I say super fun). A vaquero, ruger 10/22's and other toys. This was where I learned that guns just weren't cool but they were also a lot of fun. Even if you don't hunt, aren't into precision shooting, aren't a huge carry person and so forth.

So I guess I'll credit Obama with the first buy and OhShoot with the the subsequent fun.

best moment: Pulling the mighty Phoenix 22 out and wondering with OhShoot if we should tie to a tree when we first shot it. We decided not to but if were a 45 I bet we would've of.

Wow; sitting here in my hotel room in Ohio; glad to be back where I grew up but wishing it was just for Christmas as usual. Reading some of your posts have brought back a lot of memories; my first BB gun (it was a Daisy but not a Red Ryder)...the first shotgun I ever had was a bolt-action .410 just like was mentioned here...then a single shot 20 ga Savage.

I also remember G.I. Joe, the Rifleman, so many other TV icons; all of which played a part for me and my interest in firearms.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts and the memories you've invoked!

My Uncle's was laid to rest last Friday...half the town turned out for the viewing (four hours and still long lines when it was supposed to be over) and the sanctuary was filled on Friday for the funeral and burial. The pastor of the church was my Uncle's best friend growing up - it was, I think, as difficult for him as for any of the family.

Christmas Eve afternoon I took my brother and nephew to a very nice range in Springfield, Ohio...spent nearly three hours there. My nephew immediately gravitated to the "brand new 10 year old" Para Ordinance 13-45...I let him fire the first shot and about 150 rounds more with my brother and I taking turns now and then. At the end of the afternoon I told him that I was going to teach him how to take it down, clean it and put it back together....at that point is when I told him it was his Christmas present. I only hope that the small thing I did for him will be something he will remember all his life.

It's been both a sad Christmas but also one of the best ones I can remember, at least in a long time.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind thoughts, and prayers...I'm on my way home now and will be back in Murfreesboro by late evening.

I'm sorry for your loss Robert.

I thought this was a really neat thread but I haven't had time to respond to it unitil now. I was raised in a home with no guns. Not necessarily an "anti-gun" home, but although he used to enjoy .22 rifles, my Dad hasn't owned guns in more than 30 years. My Mom was always a little scared of guns and never acted like she'd want one in the house due to a tragedy in 1957 when she was only three years old. My Grandfather, as a Captian in the US Army, was stationed in Germany during the reconstruction and was killed at a firing range when someone supposedly dropped a pistol on the ground causing a ND. My Grandmother would never discuss it but her brother, my great-uncle, was an enlisted Marine in Europe at the time who tried to find out all he could about the incident. He told my Uncle, (a Coast Guard vet) that he didn't think the story added up. No one knows for sure, but when I started buying guns my mother asked me several times if every gun I buy is "brand new" and she has asked if my pistols are "drop safe", and if I keep them locked away from my kids etc.... My uncle has stated that he doesn't think there is anything wrong with a 1911, (which he trained with in the CG), except that it's not a shotgun which he carried when they boarded ships for inspections etc... and that my Grandfather may have been murdered.

Anyway, I wasn't raised with guns and didn't think I'd ever become what I'd call an enthusiast. I had an employer when I was a student at MTSU who I still stay in contact with periodically and my be on TGO. He's a deer hunter and second amendment proponent. He challenged my to go shoot pistols with him and not enjoy it. He took me out one day and let me fire his 1911, S&W .357, and, I think, a Beretta 92, about 15 years ago. I really enjoyed it although other hobbies and lack of funds kept me from shooting again. He started my interest in firearms but I didn't buy one for at least 10 years.

When I graduated from law school I initially did family law, personal injury and a little bit of criminal defense before I took a job working with contracts and real estate for a bank. My wife is not a gun person at all but I always told her that if I ever got back into dealing with criminals, drug addicts, and pi$$ed off husbands all the time, I intended to buy a handgun and get an HCP. Three years ago, I started my own practice and began dealing with all sorts of "interesting" characters, going to "different" parts of town and dealing with a lot of folks with substance abuse issues. Right off the bat, I was representing some grandparents who were seeking custody of grandchildren due to major drug problems with certain family members. Immediately, I began getting semi-threatening voice-mails etc... Then a lawyer I know had a disgruntled client show up at his house. I could go on and on but the real inspiration was a former client of mine. He's in prison now and I can't share the story other than to say he made threats against lots and lots of people, and since he's got a violent history, it makes it harder to ignore. My wife quickly changed her stance on guns, I've had an HCP for two years, have taken a few classes, had some private training and now I carry nearly everywhere but Court. My interest is defense-focused. I've got 6 guns but don't consider myself a collector, I'd like to say I'm a shooter but I'm not what I'd call good. I'm just a guy that wants to take at least a class a year and be proficient. Someday when my kids are older and I've got more spare time I might be a collector since I do really like revolvers, I appreciate the history of certain guns, and it would be neat to experiment with different platforms. For now though, my guns are tools and during the next few years I plan to learn three platforms (Glocks, my AR, and my 870) and I plan to stick with what I have so I can focus on shooting and not the weapons. I think it would have been neat to grow up hunting or sport shooting, but I think my focus may be a little different since my inspiration comes as much from some unpleasant folks I've dealt with as from the pleasant ones.

Who inspired your interest in firearms?

A guy named Brett [at least that's what the woman he was with called him​] who robbed my house at gun point when I was 4. He was never caught. After staring down the barrel of a cut down shotgun, I've been held close to a gun ever since.

...a faithful companion is a well maintained firearm.

Edited by Caster

Sorry to hear of your loss. Lost my Dad 2 years ago. Hope you remember the good times and celebrate what he gave you over the years, that helped get us through the holidays and beyond.

Got my love of guns very young, on the farm. Dad was in the Army, career EOD and retired as a SGM. Spent all my summers and several Vietnam years on family farms. Learned to hunt bythe Time I was 8. Uncle Clyde was big time into trap shooting and a National Champ several times in the mid/late 60's and got introduced to shotgun's. Guess between hunting, clays, and being around explosive knowledge something had to rub off. Dad also taught a lot of improvised device classes to PD's, and used to help him put together displays and demo's. He gave me my first gun, a Savage 22 bolt action

that was my mom's. She to grew up on the farm, a real country girl. The bug has always stayed with me. Today between my Daughter, Son and I we have 4 rifles, 3 shotguns and 4 handguns. Of course they would'nt be as much fun if I didn't have our own range. Any time, any gun, any way. Dead Man's Gulch is alway's just a 2 minute walk out the back door. Yes a funny name for a place in Mid Tn. The name came from Dad, Was a Louis L'Lamour fan. Thanks Dad for all you were and all you gave.

Keep all those memories colse in your heart and he will always be there, Robert.

Guest 22-rimfire

I lost my Dad a couple of years ago. I know how it feels when someone close or important to you moves to the next level.

I can't remember not being interested in firearms. I grew up with guns. Hunting was something we often did behind our house or at least the starting point for small game. But I took guns a step further than any of my immediate family. They are important to me.

Sorry for your loss Robert.

This might offend some people, but I am being totally honest. Three people sparked my interest (at least enough to buy) in firearms. Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama. I only got my first firearm in mid-late 2009. At the time I was afraid the government would push foward some sort of gun control type legislation and I would miss out, so I had to buy one. Who knew I would find shooting very enjoyable and buy many more later on.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather got me into firearms but I grew up in a firearms free household. My dad was not that into them. I had pellet guns and such as a kid but always stared at my grandpas gun cabinet and he carried a .38 special Smith for over 30 years. I purchased my first pistol in 2005 and lost my butt on it from inexperience, dang Raven Arms .25, and what's funny is my stepdad sold it to me. I was going to buy a Rossi .357 snub from him too but my mom stopped that lol. Needless to say, I have the most firearms knowledge of anyone in my family now and I love shooting and firearms more than any other hobby I have; collecting movies, horror mainly lmao :P that's my story!

Guest Sgt. Joe

I just saw this Robert, I too am very sorry for your loss.

Please remember though that it isnt so much what we do with our lives, it is what we leave behind. Your Uncle left you with your interest and love of firearms and obviously how to be a good person and now you are passing that on. So without ever knowing your Uncle I know that he was one heck of a guy.

I too was not raised around guns, my dad was just not the outdoors type at all. My parents were not anti-gun they just did not have any in the house and never would even buy me a BB gun. I would just put my eye out ya know.:)

It was after I was injured and realized that I could no longer do any martial arts combined with living in a rather violent little city that pushed me into getting my first gun and HCP. I actually thought that would be the only gun that I would ever own but I was very wrong about that. I eventually acquired enough that I felt that a real safe was the only responsible place to store them. I became interested in learning about firearms and really do enjoy shooting them.

Something that I felt that I was forced into became a hobby for me and something that I enjoy quite a lot.

I've always had an interest in firearms for as long as I can remember - my dad hunted deer, and we shot some skeet when I was a kid, but for me it was as much the elegance and simplicity of their function as anything. Somewhere along the line a few years ago, I went from an "I like guns" mindset, to a "why am I not owning and carrying one" state, and it went from there. I'm glad I made the transition. The focus and discipline required to shoot well (and I don't, yet) are rewarding to me, even when results aren't what I'd like. There's a great deal of satisfaction in a center hit or a busted clay...for me, they're tangible evidence of a job well done. I also really enjoy competing with myself - shooting is totally self-directed, and leaves no room for excuses. You're putting yourself to the test every time you pull a trigger.

• 3 weeks later...
I've always had an interest in firearms for as long as I can remember - my dad hunted deer, and we shot some skeet when I was a kid, but for me it was as much the elegance and simplicity of their function as anything. Somewhere along the line a few years ago, I went from an "I like guns" mindset, to a "why am I not owning and carrying one" state, and it went from there. I'm glad I made the transition. The focus and discipline required to shoot well (and I don't, yet) are rewarding to me, even when results aren't what I'd like. There's a great deal of satisfaction in a center hit or a busted clay...for me, they're tangible evidence of a job well done. I also really enjoy competing with myself - shooting is totally self-directed, and leaves no room for excuses. You're putting yourself to the test every time you pull a trigger.

You are right, a good bullseye hit or a clay that turns to dust is a beautiful thing and one I don't see nearly often enough; especially with regards to the clays! :biglol: