Who Inspired Your Interste in Firearms?

Maybe not for all but probably most of us have that "someone" in our lives who played a big part in inspiring our interest in/love of firearms. Often, that's our Dad's and my dad was a major influence for me...I spent many a fall day out in the fields with my Dad hunting rabbit and pheasant. However, the biggest influence on me in fostering my love of firearms was my Uncle Butch.

Butch was much more of a brother to me than an uncle...seven years my senior; he and I were closer in age than my actual siblings and I (my brother is 10 years younger/sister is 15 years younger). And, for most of my childhood (until my high school years), my parents and my grandmother lived in adjacent houses so we were always "together" during the day/summer school vacation, etc.

Butch also had a lot to do with my passion for cars (I'll never forget the day he brought home a cherry red '67 GTO, tri-power...white interior and the engine "chrome package" - I don't think I've ever seen a car that was more beautiful! He was a positive influence in other ways as well...he was the first in my family to EVER go to college; I was the second...he became a pharmacist; served on our county's school board and raised a great family. While not perfect, he's always been a good role model for me. He is one of the reasons I'm trying to pass my love of firearms to my nephew this Christmas ( http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/want-buy/65998-basic-reliable-relatively-inexpensive-1911-christmas-gift.html ).

Just a little while ago, I got a call from my sister telling me that Butch has passed away from a heart attack.

I guess I'm posting this because I need to...I guess also just a reminder that we should all remember to thank those in our lives who have had a positive influence on us anytime we get a chance because eventually, there won't be any more chances. I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year and I hope you take the time to thank those in your life who have made your life special.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. I hope and pray the season goes ok for you.

My intro to firearms was my Great Great Uncle Al Bradlau. My family is from CT, and Al was a 'smith at Colt's during the glory days of the 30's, 40's, 50's. His retirement gift was what got me. Two gold SAA's in a blue velvet presentation box. He wouldn't let me touch them, I could just stare... and I stared plenty. My first gun was a Colt Frontier .22. (New Frontier? Can't remember.)

My husband Dolomite_Supafly got me going on Guns.. Needless to say he is a awesome teacher and taught me so much.I think I was really intimidated by guns before, growing up in Germany I was not exposed to guns like it is over here.

Not sure how it came about but once we started buying a .22 here and there I got to plinkering and ..well .. the rest is history.And for that..I love him very much. He even made me a holster :D

Now you can find us together at the range all the time.

:)

I am truly sorry for your loss. It always hurts.

My interest in firearms was, believe it or not, my grandmother. I had always been around hunting and fishing growing up, that's just how my entire family is. It was my "Nanny", however, that saw that a boy of 6 needed a .22 (as well as an ample supply of hunting knives) for killing "squirrels and such", much to the chagrin of my mother. She died 16 years ago, but has always been a part of my life in all of the interests that she inspired: She was the first, and only until me, college graduate and pushed me to excel in everything i did. She is missed sorely, especially when I think about things like this.

Edited by Good_Steward

My dad always had a .22 or .25 auto around the house, but growing up in L.A. we didn't shoot very often. My love for guns came one night during the L.A. riots when a group of people behind our house set a dumpster and a couch on fire. Not even sure where the couch came from, but I think they hauled it back there to burn it. My dad had a single shot bolt action .22 and a couple other guys in the building had .22s as well. They went out back as I listened by my open bedroom window. The guys from the building didn't say anything. All I heard was "don't shoot, don't shoot, we'll put it out" I knew from that day forward I would always have a means to protect myself and family.

Guest WyattEarp

sorry for your loss, prayers to you and your family.

my Dad got me into firearms and hunting. He taught me, made me take the MO Hunter Safety Course (ironically, the only test I have ever aced in my entire life :) ) took me quail and pheasant hunting when I was 11 and eventually rabbit hunting. winged a bobtail my first time out, but the dog couldn't locate him. got a New England firearms 20 gauge single shot for X-mas that year, made the mistake of trying to use it for trapshooting when I was 16.....resulted in a severely purple shoulder after 2 rounds of 25 pigeons :D Went out and bought a Remington 870 express 12 gauge pump, and did a lot better. at 18, i was broke after high school, so i sold 'em both, didn't have another firearm till about 2 years ago when I bought a .270 from the Franklin gun shop, but never got to shoot it, and ended up trading it for some car parts. Then this year, got back into firearms, by getting my HCP, and carry weapon. Now I'm looking at building or buying an AR-15 and customizing it. Still wanting to get another 870 Express 12 gauge pump, but I remember in 1996, when I bought my 870 in 1996, it was $236 + tax from Wal-Mart...now they want $385 for the same gun....talk about some inflation. At some point after school, a nice Sig Sauer P226 .40 will be added. and then I'll be looking at getting a DIAS to put in my AR-15 to make it full auto :D

Edited by WyattEarp

My Dad and my uncle, Tom Crosby. First went squirrel hunting with a Stevens-Savage 59B .410 bolt-action shotgun handed to me by my uncle (that gun is now with my son, and is waiting on my grandson). Dad and I then started hunting with several church friends, which led to my purchase of an Ithaca Model 37 20ga (which also still sits in my safe today). Like much else, these are values passed within the boundaries of relationships...not education.

Guest mcgyver210

My fascination started because of old westerns which used Lever Action Rifles. I also always like all the OO7 movies different firearms.

Now without a father figure I wasn't aloud to have a firearm because of my mother which just made me want one even more. So when I turned 18 first thing I purchased was a Marlin 22LR from Wal-Mart Second was a Marlin Lever Action the rest is history.

That was a great tribute to your uncle.

I'm not really sure how I got my love for firearms. Several people in my family were hunters, including my dad when I was young but no one was really gun people. Their firearms were tools for hunting and that was all. Maybe I got my start from them and took it farther than the rest.

Guest Lester Weevils

Sorry for your loss, Robert.

As a kid in rural AL, got a Daisy BB gun age 8 and in the next few years wore it out with thousands of BB's. Wasn't much to do in the country and got pretty good shooting the Daisy. Occasionally me & dad would squirrel hunt with a single-shot .22 rifle. Shooting .22 shorts. Dad was pretty good with head shots.

Then we moved to various cities and I didn't shoot any more until forty-something. Was mildly anti-gun as was wife. Listening to the radio and reading, gradually became less anti-gun but didn't get around to buying a gun. Then a crazy redneck-from-hell neighbor moved in who was bad trouble just waiting to happen. After several run-ins with the neighbor, thought a home defense gun might be prudent and started reading up on it. Mentioned the idea to wife and I was surprised to find that she had decided the same thing.

Didn't want a gun if we didn't know safe handling and the only courses available were handgun permit classes so we took that course and I bought a pistol. Wife enjoyed the class and shot well but wasn't long-term interested in shooting. I didn't plan to get a carry license, but after taking the class decided what the heck might as well get one.

I knew I'd have to practice shooting and expected practice to be a boring chore but it turned out fun, so gradually became a gun nut. The neighbor-from-hell moved out about a year afterward, and it was nice no longer to routinely have police cars parked on the street with lights flashing when he would pitch a fit and beat his wife AGAIN. Never had to shoot him thank goodness. :)

Still haven't taken any "advanced" defensive pistol courses, but I do enjoy punching holes in paper as best possible (the best of which is not especially accurate).

You may think the following kinda weird-- From my teens thru adulthood, just from random experience, most of the civilians I met who liked guns tended to be crazy unhinged not-especially-friendly guys you don't want to spend much time around in case something goes bad. So I was reluctant to even go to a gun store to look around, expecting it to be like a scene from Deliverance. That really was an initial hurdle to get started-- Going the first time to a gun store.

In an electronics forum somebody suggested some little gun tool for electronic fabrication. Can't recall the details anymore. Maybe it was a punch or brass brush. So the first foray to a gun store was to get the little tool for electronics use, and the salesmen and customers were nice normal fellers, friendly attitude, not a crazy toothless one among them. So once that hurdle was over it was easier to get interested in guns.

The following years I met many of my weenie liberal musician friends at the gun store. Guys I would have never expected to be packing. Especially the jazz musicians.

Sorry for your loss, Robert.

Mine was love at first sight. My parents gave me toy guns since I was old enough to pick one up. Of course, TV and movies had a lot to do with it. My dad let me shoot my first real gun, but I had already been playing with BB guns years before that.

My grandfather(mom's stepdad). I was adopted so grandparents get really confusing around my house. Granddaddy Bill wanted to give me my mothers real father's(killed in car wrecked 1942) shotgun when I was 10. My mom said no I wasn't old enough. That year my dad(adopted) got my mom a Remington .22lr( not sure of model. The next summer I learned gun safety and how to shoot from my dad(ex-army) and got my own 20 gauge single shot for Xmas. And that starts the long history of loving to shoot. Still haven't gotten Mom dad's gun(may ask grandmother about that next time I see her) but it has been a fun ride.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

My dad, my grandfathers. My dad carried a gun for most of my life, he got permission from the Sherrif. He always, probably before the permission thing, had his snub S&W 38 in his pocket or in his waistband. He owned a grocery store, lots of cash. We grew up hunting, from doves deer and a lot in between. It was just part of our life, my life growing up. I wish my dad was still around for many reasons, but one would be going to the range with him or out on some land and shooting as adults.

Robert:______________

Sorry to hear of your loss. Our condolences and prayers are with ya. I'm a bit older and i kinda see the same sort of thing. My dad was the person who started my love affair with shooting with a winchester hammer type slide action 22 rifle. He loved to shoot and taught me as a small boy; no older than 8 or 9. He also taught me about shotguns and bought me my first winchester single shot youth model 20 gage. I've still got that little shotgun. He's been gone since 1969. Another dear friend bought my first revolver for me in the early sixties and taught me about shooting, self-defense, and a lot about life in general. He is long gone too. I used to bird hunt with 5 dear buddies when i was in high school. We kept in touch over the years and regularly got together. We buried two of them in the last six months. A third one is a bit older and cant hardly get around anymore. It's kinda like we are livin in the fall of life and the leaves are falling.

leroy

Sorry about your uncle.

My dad got me started, he always had a rifle, and we did a little deer hunting. But a guy that I worked for was the one that really got me into guns. He always had some nice handguns, and was trading and buying, so I would say he had more of an influence in peaking my interest. Now I am just a gun nut, I like 'em big or small, h*ll I like 'em all.