Tennessean writing about CCW reciprocity laws

Guest brianhaas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brianhaas

An interesting side note to the national reciprocity law... The Tennessee Firearms Association is opposed to it on 10th Amendment grounds, so there may be opposition to it not based on an anti-gun sentiment.

Guest brianhaas

Greg: Great question, I suppose my answer would be...

Not gonna bite :)

I'd love to, but I can't really post my opinions for others to see. I will say that I believe a lot of media coverage of gun issues is lackluster, most likely from ignorance, and that my goal is to be fair and learn as much as I can about issues before I report on them.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

Brian,

A major reason that several firearms advocacy organizations oppose the national reciprocity bill is that it would necessitate the development of a federal database, which more than a few people are squeamish about, myself included.

I still want to know where people get this from?

An interesting side note to the national reciprocity law... The Tennessee Firearms Association is opposed to it on 10th Amendment grounds, so there may be opposition to it not based on an anti-gun sentiment.

The problem with any National Reciprocity law is that there isn’t going to be anything “National†about it. States won’t agree with it any more than they can agree on a National Vehicle Code. People have been driving over 100 years and we still don’t have a National Vehicle Code.

Anyone here that reads my posts knows I’m not usually a tin foil hat that sees the boogie man behind everything our governments do, but right now our carry laws are under the absolute control of the states. I see no reason to turn one bit of that over to the Feds; nothing good can come of it.

There are states that you are not going to carry in no matter what the Feds do; New York, Illinois, California, New Jersey; so what good does bringing in the Feds in do?

I think people need to be crystal clear that their HCP means nothing once they cross the Tennessee state line, and they may end up in jail if they don’t know the state laws of the states they want to carry in.

The state knows who we are. You think the Feds are going to be involved in this without having all the information the state has; names addresses, DOB, where you were trained, etc?

I don’t know of anything sinister they could do with that information; but they will have to have it.

Guest brianhaas
Brian,

A major reason that several firearms advocacy organizations oppose the national reciprocity bill is that it would necessitate the development of a federal database, which more than a few people are squeamish about, myself included.

I'm unfamiliar with this as well. It seems unnecessary, all it takes is a few minutes to call a state and get a permit's validity confirmed. Took about 15 minutes for Tennessee to get back to me with this woman's permit info.

I'm unfamiliar with this as well. It seems unnecessary, all it takes is a few minutes to call a state and get a permit's validity confirmed. Took about 15 minutes for Tennessee to get back to me with this woman's permit info.

I think it's paranoia. I believe it could be done without a national database. I think the most rational argument against it is, it denies the state its right to regulate who carries there. Even though I don't agree with Illinois ' lack of carry law I do support their right to choose one way or another without federal mandate.

I travel to Illinois a lot and they do not recognize TN Carry Permits. Even though I know their laws, I always call their handgun department and speak with a rep. I advise that I have a carry permit and will be traveling to their state and "what do I need to do to comply with Illinois laws while I am in their state?" The answer is always the same but I always get the name of the state worker I spoke with and the time and date I called just in case I have to explain to an LEO why I have a firearm locked in my truck safe. This Woman unfortunately did not check with NYC to see what her responsibilities are when carrying a handgun to their city. It's a hard lesson to learn and hopefully they will show some leniency towards her for trying to do what she believed to be the right thing. I personally believe the right to carry should be respected and granted to law abiding citizens in every city and state, but until then it is the responsibility of those who carry to make sure they are within the law.

I wish it would be easy to get data on the financial impact of people (like me) who refuse to visit Chicago, NYC and California etc. because of their approach to handgun laws.

It is an almost universal truth that the areas that work the hardest to deny me my right to self protection are the same places where I need that ability the most.

There are plenty of wonderful places in this country that respect my rights and by doing so earn discretionary spending by me and my family.

Mark

Sometimes I wish I was more of a protestor type. I would put a sign in my yard saying that all 1st Amendment rights were suspended on my property. I mean the second amendment says that my right to keep and BEAR arms shall not be infringed, but states and private people do it all the time.

I hear all the time that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I hope that any man who says that walks in front of the car waving a red flag whenever his wife drives in Memphis. I also hope that they never engage in "Oral sexual activities" with their wives in the state of Tennessee. Check it out, both laws are on the books, and ignorance is no excuse. I know, those are not the same thing we are talking about, but state laws are often ambiguous and out of date.

All this law stuff would be a lot easier if the states and feds stopped infringing on the individual's rights to keep and bear arms.

This smell's like BS no one's that stupid. This is something i would'nt put past Anti Gunner's. Carrying ccw with cocaine in NYC . NO WAY! Wake up no one human is that Stupid . This is a set up

Guest twpayne75

This is just one of the MANY things that should be covered in a basic handgun carry permit class that isn't.

Even if the women was not bright enough to know you cannot carry a gun in NYC, you would think someone around her would have enlightened her. That reason alone is why I will never visit there. My wife wants to go. But I'll be damned if I would wander through unarmed.

It's federal legislation, what makes you think they wouldn't assemble a federal database? Every decade that's gone by has been an exercise in the federal government encroaching on state's rights, and the pattern makes me suspicious of them.

Scrapping CCW laws, and allowing law abiding citizens to freely exercise their 2nd ammendment rights would prevent such errors. As it stands today, a legal scholar who specializes in gun law would have trouble knowing and interpreting all the nuances of carry laws in 50 different states, not to mention staying abreast of the yearly changes in each state.

Having said that, I don't believe ignorance is a valid excuse for violating the law, and I do not defend the woman's actions.

Greg Herbert

Lafayette, Tennessee

What he said . . . . .!

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the percentage of TN HCP holders actually look at reciprocity maps and/or laws. I am not making an excuse, but I would bet the number is 10% or less.

While I do not want the federal government getting involved with creating a national reciprocity, I do think it is really overkill by the DA persuing felony gun possession on this woman. Yes, she was totally stupid and she should have been responsible for knowing the laws, but to seek imprisonment, stripping of the right to own a firearm, and removing voting priveleges, that is just crazy. Seize her gun and give her a stiff fine and go on to the next case.

This is her own fault for messing up. Granted the punishment does not suit the crime (as realistically, she's had a background check and is fingerprinted so it seems asinine) but a crime is a crime none the less. A smarter person would know you don't EVER carry to Illinois, California, or NY, or NJ for that matter EVER.

Obviously, in the case cited, the woman should have known better. The Mayor of NY is Bloomberg, enough said.

Something often overlooked when talking about reciprocity is someone visiting TN. I think we're an excellent example of why it's so hard to keep track of the laws. Are you vacationing in Tennessee with an out of State permit and want to do some outdoor recreation? Good luck!

If you go to a lake with a TWRA sign but it's run by the TVA, no guns allowed. If it has a TWRA sign and it's actually operated by the TWRA, guns are okay. If you enter a park, or greenspace, in town 'A' you can carry but in town 'B' it's against the law. Don't expect to get this info before you arrive either, it's hard enough for TN residents to figure out as we travel within our fair State.

As others have mentioned, Constitutional carry is the answer. The need isn't for a Federal law or more State regulations, it's simply to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Tennessee. Reciprocity can be tough to keep track of at times. Not in places like NY or IL but in most of the country and even for visitors to the great State of Tennesse.