357lcr or p238?????

mudstud

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot a 238 and I was impressed. However, I dont see how it has been so popular. It's easy to carry and it's excellent craftsmanship but it kind of reminds me of a Bonds Arm derringer in that its pretty but requires a lot to safely carry and then deploy. My only complaint on a LCR is I short stroke the trigger, and if your used to trigger reset you will to.

I have shot a 238 and I was impressed. However, I dont see how it has been so popular. It's easy to carry and it's excellent craftsmanship but it kind of reminds me of a Bonds Arm derringer in that its pretty but requires a lot to safely carry and then deploy. My only complaint on a LCR is I short stroke the trigger, and if your used to trigger reset you will to.

Say that again in more detail . I like my Glock reset and I am not sure what you are talking about . I am presently looking at the Ruger LCR . Any information is appreciated .

Say that again in more detail . I like my Glock reset and I am not sure what you are talking about . I am presently looking at the Ruger LCR . Any information is appreciated .

You have to release the 1911 style safety to use the sig 238. That is all, and it is just a touch of the thumb to do this, so it is not a big deal and you can easily train to have the safety off before the gun is even pointed at your target. The only guns that are "easier" to deploy than a 1911 are no-safety long trigger guns, which are harder to deploy because they have long, and often heavy, triggers. (I consider the glock trigger to be long as well, though 85% of a glock trigger pull does nothing but pull on a do-nothing spring load, the extra travel is there for "safety").

The LCR is a DAO, which means it the trigger lifts the hammer back some certain amount and then it falls to strike the firing pin. Unlike a glock, which is "striker fired" (whatever the heck that means), the trigger must lift that hammer each time far enough to strike with force. It is, therefore, not possible to short reset/rapid fire this type of gun, you must fully release the trigger to "nearly" the position that the trigger stays in when your hand is off of it. The glock, on the other hand, uses the semi auto slide and recoil action to internally do part of the work, so your short trigger just release a pre-cocked spring loaded thingy, it does not have to actually pull the spring, so a small travel distance is possible, which allows for their famous short reset triggers which, once the shooter has memorized it, allows rapid fire.

Edited by Jonnin
Well do you want to squeeze a trigger to shoot or cock it first?

I am confused. Are you cocking your 1911 style guns manually before shooting? That would make the style not the best choice for CCW --- either make friends with the carry design, or choose another style. The LCR cannot be cocked, of course. It is really a question of safety off, then shoot rapidly with a light, easy to use trigger or shoot a bigger gun slowly by pumping the excessively heavy and extremely long pull of the revolver. I have weak hands and can personally empty 2 mags from the sig before I can empty one cylinder of the revolver due to that long trigger, however someone with strong hands and wrists can probably equalize the two choices.

I like the LCR too but 95% of my practice time is with a Glock. As a result I've developed the habit of "riding the reset" or letting my trigger finger go out long enough to feel the reset and then shooting again. As much as I like the look of revolvers, I'd personally hesitate to carry one because the last few times I shot one at the range I "short stroked" the trigger more than once, by trying to shoot when I hadn't let the trigger out long enough to reset. Nothing against revolvers, I'd like to own a few someday. Personally though, I'm a "system" guy. My carry guns usually are a Glock in the summer and a bigger Glock in the winter. If I wanted to carry a revolver, I'd probably carry an LCR in the summer and a 586 for the winter and HD purposes. I'm sure there are lots of folks on TGO that have been shooting long enough and often enough to maintain proficiency with different systems.... For instance they could carry a 1911, one day, a striker fired (Glock, M&P etc...) the next and a revolver the next and shoot them all well... I've only been shooting a few years though and I'm sticking with one system for now. It may seem like I'm rambling but here's my point:

The two guns compared by the OP are different carry systems, which is the best??? Which ever one works more like the OPs other guns. If you shoot a 1911 then the Sig is the obvious choice. If you've had a lot of trigger time on revolvers than I'd definitely pick the LCR... Just a long way of saying the best gun for any individual is the one they shoot the best...

i carry a sig p250 which is DAO so i think the lcr would be closer

to what i am use to.But i haved owned 1911's also. i like the feel

of both guns.I want the lcr where have you seen them under 400 i am

in Nashville and 450 has been the lowest i seen.