Pocket carry

TeamJackson

Guest jbotcher

P238 (DeSantis pocket) or Kahr CW9 (IWB). The 238 is a great pistol to drop in a pocket and go. If I'm wearing a jacket, the CW9 goes in a MicroTuck IWB. Comfortable in 9mm all day. Had a PF9, but it was harsh to shoot and you have to shoot them to get comfortable with them. The CW9 is slightly larger than the PM9, but costs less and delivers Kahr quality.

• 1 month later...
Guest jmoe816

I own a PF9 and would not consider pocket carry. I think it's just too big, especially with the mag extension. I tried to my cargo pockets and it just feels like an anchor. When I carry it, it is with a Mr. Softy holster. I am very excited about the Sig P938. I will probably be trading my Kel-Tec in on that bad boy.

I would love to find a good deal on a P238! Pocket carry though? Like in a gun wallet in the pants pocket?

Pretty much. There are various pocket holsters, some square it up to look like a wallet, but whatever style you like. It does not have to be pants, but most mean that when they say it. You *could* put them in a "secret" jacket pocket or something if preferred. I can get a sig 238, spare mag, holster, and my wallet all into my pocket, just standard men's jeans most days. These things are tiny!

Guest Edro3111

I'm a pretty big guy (around) and I carry the S&W Bodyguard .380 inside one of the wide elastic under shirt concealed holsters. Pretty comfortable and accessible even after a long day. Might not work so well for smaller guys or gals. Just to let you larger guys like me that it's pretty comfy unlike some of the set-ups I've tried out. Never liked pocket carrying that much until the thinner guns came out.

Guest Torrin

Like several others, I pocket a PM9. I also pocket a Ruger SR9C in a Remora holster.

Holy crap, I am having a heck of a time not printing my SR9c with a super tuck, there is no way I could pocket carry it, are you wearing some pants with fallout packets?

Holy crap, I am having a heck of a time not printing my SR9c with a super tuck, there is no way I could pocket carry it, are you wearing some pants with fallout packets?

Looser clothing is all you need. I mostly wear jeans, tan at work as a nod toward looking pro while being comfortable, just straight up levi's for the most part. I can stuff up to about a 6.5 X 5 X 1.25 gun into those. It isnt optimal. I went down that route just to see where it led and it leads to a tight fit that is difficult to draw and can even mean going without a holster --- not recommended at all but I was what-iffing. Dress pants will, in general, take a larger gun than this, slightly.

In practice, though, 6 X 5 X 1.0 is about the most that really works well for typical pockets.

the thing about pocket carry is, it is not noticably a gun. It could be your phone, or other whatevers. No one notices. It prints, but it does not print "gun" shaped, it prints 'blob' and a blob in a pocket belongs there. A blob at your hip does not.... so you have to be concerned about any lump around the waist for printing but in a pocket, it just has to look un-gun-like and you are good to go, a much easier goal than you might think.

the thing about pocket carry is, it is not noticably a gun. It could be your phone, or other whatevers. No one notices. It prints, but it does not print "gun" shaped, it prints 'blob' and a blob in a pocket belongs there. A blob at your hip does not.... so you have to be concerned about any lump around the waist for printing but in a pocket, it just has to look un-gun-like and you are good to go, a much easier goal than you might think.

This is absolutely true. I've pocket carried a baby Glock lots of places and my experience is that no one is concerned about something in your pockets. Also, a good pocket holster will have a hooked area which can keep it in the pocket on the draw and help to conceal the print. I also have a P3AT for those days when I'm wearing really light shorts or something. I am much more proficient with a Glock, however, so that's what I carry much more often.

Edited by JReedEsq

Yep. I've had one guy give me a look that obviously said "Yeah, I know what you've got in that pocket", but that's it, just the one guy in all this time.

Another vote for the Kahr CM-9. Can't beat the quality and size for the price. I also have a Taurus TCP 380 and the wife carries the S&W Bodyguard 380, both have been very reliable but I prefer the 9mm.

Edited by WyldEyed1
Guest motonut

Have both a Kahr PM9 and CM9 and they are fantastic guns, no complaints with either. However, if I could only have 1 and just starting looking now I would take a serious hard look at the Beretta Nano. Personally would prefer to stick with a 9mm platform, I don't need to add another caliber to the inventory.

Sig p 238 , cm9 to big I think for pocket carry , maybe pm9 but not the cm9 it's a little bigger than the pm9, I'll stick with my sigp238 for pocket carry. Had the kahr , been there done that.

• 1 year later...

I tried hard to like my friends CM9 as it is small enough to conceal and very reliable.  However, I didn't like the sights or the trigger, and I didn't shoot it well.  I bought a P938 sport, which is bulkier, especially with the hogue rubber grips, but I shot it well enough right away.  We all have to find our best compromise.  I had a lot of good input from TGO members.  Now for a holster.

I have the PF-9, and I think it's too big for pocket carry personally. I do love having mine with the clip on it though. No need for a holster. I carry it quite comfortably. I have no experience with the others mentioned on here, but would have to assume there are better options for the pocket.

I've owned and pocket carried most of the guns in this thread. There are two main concealment and comfort issues: weight and width. I find the Taurus 709 to be a bit too heavy for my taste and the Sig P238 is a lot heavier than my P3AT and about the same as the PM9. Thus, my primary pocket carries are the P3AT and the PM9.

I would NOT pocket carry without a holster. That's just me, but then the thickness of the holster becomes a factor. I make my own pocket holsters using plastic and gaffers tape. It adds less than a sixteenth of an inch to the thickness, prevents the gun from tipping in the pocket, and presents it at the proper angle. I've made some deeper holsters for pants with deep pockets so I don't have to put my hand so far into the pocket to draw.  Here's a link to my post on KTOG about how to make these holsters. http://www.thektog.org/forum/f87/milk-jug-pocket-holsters-256713/

It says milk jug, but I use one gallon water jugs instead.  Gaffers tape can be bought on Amazon for $12 a roll. It's way better than duct tape for this purpose.

If I were living a dangerous lifestyle like my FBI SWAT friend or was a DA or LEO who have put many bad guys away I wouldn't carry a .32 keltec as my sole carry gun. However, most folks who might want to do me me harm in the lifestyle i live where i live and how i live likely don't want any holes in them anymore than I do regardless of hole size.
  • Like 1

If I were living a dangerous lifestyle like my FBI SWAT friend or was a DA or LEO who have put many bad guys away I wouldn't carry a .32 keltec as my sole carry gun. However, most folks who might want to do me me harm in the lifestyle i live where i live and how i live likely don't want any holes in them anymore than I do regardless of hole size.

+1 on the P32 Keltec. I pocket carry mine regularly. I have a pocket holster that can be changed out for back pocket, looks like a wallet or front pocket. I usually carry 2 extra mags. I use this setup during hot weather when heavy cover garments are not an option or as a back-up. Carpenter style jeans usually have pockets that are suited for this style of carry, Carhartt or Dickies work well or the usual cargo/ tactical pants. The .32 is a whole lot better than nothing at all. I would not want to get shot with it and I am sure most bad guys would not either. 22 rounds of .32 should be able to hold them off to get to the big gun in the truck which is usually close by.

I shot a P3AT before buying the P32 and found the P3AT to be a handful, the .380 is a quite snappy in this small light gun. Not one you want to take to the range and shoot for fun.

The last 5 or so years have really given us a ton of good options for the pocket.  

I shot a P3AT before buying the P32 and found the P3AT to be a handful, the .380 is a quite snappy in this small light gun. Not one you want to take to the range and shoot for fun.

My 938 stings my hands after a while.  One box of 50 is about all I can take of it -- which is fine, I can tolerate practice sessions with it and that is sufficient.   The most comfortable micro that I have shot remains the p238 -- it tames the recoil and I could shoot it all day long and enjoy doing so.  The 9 isnt bad for what it is, but its significantly more than the 380.   The next most comfortable thing is pf or makarov sized pistols, which are quite a bit bigger even if they fit in some pockets.

As far as holsters go...  I am 100% comfortable with no holster on guns with a long, heavy trigger.  When I had hard to pull guns, they went in the pocket naked.  Now that I have moved to the micro 1911s, I have a holster as I am not comfortable with a light trigger sitting uncovered in the pocket.  Its probably more efficient to have a holster, but if your pockets are too small, sometimes you have to make do without. 

You would be amazed at what you can make fit in typical mens dress pants or average jeans.  I briefly was pocketing a beretta px subcompact ....  which is probably 2x the size of most of the stuff discussed here.

Edited by Jonnin