If you have never had bread fried in bacon grease....

Will Carry

My wife is a true southern lady and she cares about me so much that she won't let me eat too much fatty foods. I have been so deprived of fat that I remember when I was in the Boy Scouts and we would cook the bacon first and then fry the bread in the bacon grease. That was the best toast I have ever had. Out in the wilds of Tennessee, cold and hungry. I guess we were not the first kids to be in the "wilds" of Tennessee, cold and hungry. The last time I went camping with kids they had their faces burried in these smart phones. Daddy even broke out his lap top and he and his son played a computer game on it, instead of talking around the camp fire and passing on a tradition that has been going on for 6000 years.......

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think its the same thing,but my grandmother made me a grease sandwich when I was little . Put some bacon or sausage grease between two slices of bread. Far from a treat it made me sick. I'm sure what your talking about was good, but trust me my "sandwich" was not.

Guest Lester Weevils

As a kid liked eggs cooked in ham grease better than bacon grease, but one or the other was the only way eggs got eaten, except in tater salad or whatever.

What is about the same thing ingredient-wise-- Mom would make these sausage balls for holiday snacks, and wife learned how to make em. It is about half cooked sausage and half biscuit batter mixed together, rolled into golfball size balls and baked hard-crusty and dripping with grease. Well, also I think they contain cheese with an overdose of red pepper.

Edited by Lester Weevils

As a kid liked eggs cooked in ham grease better than bacon grease, but one or the other was the only way eggs got eaten, except in tater salad or whatever.

What is about the same thing ingredient-wise-- Mom would make these sausage balls for holiday snacks, and wife learned how to make em. It is about half cooked sausage and half biscuit batter mixed together, rolled into golfball size balls and baked hard-crusty and dripping with grease. Well, also I think they contain cheese with an overdose of red pepper.

Ham grease is for Red-Eye Gravy.

Edited by ls3_kid
Guest Lester Weevils

Ham grease is for Red-Eye Gravy.

Thats fer sure!

Cracker Barrel and other "country restaurant chains" seem to have spread out local dishes nation wide. Fer instance classic Red Beans and Rice was almost strictly a south louisiana thing, as far as I could tell. Anybody else even in the south would say, "Huh? Why would anybody want to do that?" At least we never saw that dish when I was growing up, until we moved to New Orleans.

Anyway, red eye gravy was about the only breakfast gravy I was familiar with until moving to TN, where the "good stuff" was thick white gravy with chunks of sausage as big as yer thumb. TX and other places have various white gravies, but flavored a little different.

Dunno if the sausage-filled white gravy was once only native to TN, or what geography it originally covered. Maybe a lot wider than I thought, but didn't really notice this marvelous delicacy until moving to Chattanooga about 1970 or so.

Guest nicemac

We cook almost everything (that we fry) in bacon grease. Best popcorn in the world!

btw, my cholesterol was only 173 at my last physical.

Edited by nicemac

I've had to cut back on the bacon since I'm having to watch my sodium intake. Some of the 'lower sodium' bacon varieties are pretty good but they are usually sliced so thin you could almost read through them and they are still only 'lower' sodium, not exactly 'low' sodium. I still have to have a couple sliced here and there, though.

My version of 'bacon fried bread' is to mix up cornbread batter, heat a mixture of bacon grease (strained - I also have one of those 'bacon grease' containers on my stove) and real butter in a skillet until the butter melts and blends in with the bacon grease. I then commence to frying some cornbread. Forget crackers - fried cornbread is the best thing to have with chili.

For that matter, if I make regular cornbread I still use an [iron] skillet (cornbread ain't square, it ain't super-fluffy and it definitely ain't sweet - we are talking cornbread, not cake.) I put the same type of mixture - butter and bacon grease - in the skillet and heat it on top of the stove until it just sizzles. Then I dump the cornbread batter into the skillet. Sometimes I let it stay on the eye for a few more seconds before putting it into a 350 degree oven. Doing all that gives me a good, thick, crunchy crust - my favorite part of cornbread. I then like to cut the cornbread as soon as it comes out of the oven/turns out of the skillet because I like to fix up my bowl of cornbread and milk while the cornbread is still extremely hot.

Edited by JAB

Morning breakfast: Use small wok to fry bacon, two eggs over easy in the bacon grease. One perfect crispy egg disk with two yolks. Tabasco on the eggs.

mmmm baaaacon!

I don't really like my eggs to get crispy. I do like to eat them much the way dad used to. Two eggs, fried over easy (with the yolk still runny, for me - although dad didn't always like his runny.) Split a biscuit (or two) and lay the eggs out on top of the biscuit(s). Cover the whole thing with breakfast (white) gravy. Hit it with some Tobasco sauce and enjoy!

In fact, that is one of the few things I really still like regular Tobasco on. Generally, Tobasco/Texas Pete/etc. isn't spicy enough for me and it is has too much of a vinegar taste and too little 'pepper' flavor. It still goes great on that biscuit/eggs/gravy concoction, though!

Edited by JAB

I've had to cut back on the bacon since I'm having to watch my sodium intake. Some of the 'lower sodium' bacon varieties are pretty good but they are usually sliced so thin you could almost read through them and they are still only 'lower' sodium, not exactly 'low' sodium. I still have to have a couple sliced here and there, though.

My version of 'bacon fried bread' is to mix up cornbread batter, heat a mixture of bacon grease (strained - I also have one of those 'bacon grease' containers on my stove) and real butter in a skillet until the butter melts and blends in with the bacon grease. I then commence to frying some cornbread. Forget crackers - fried cornbread is the best thing to have with chili.

For that matter, if I make regular cornbread I still use an [iron] skillet (cornbread ain't square, it ain't super-fluffy and it definitely ain't sweet - we are talking cornbread, not cake.) I put the same type of mixture - butter and bacon grease - in the skillet and heat it on top of the stove until it just sizzles. Then I dump the cornbread batter into the skillet. Sometimes I let it stay on the eye for a few more seconds before putting it into a 350 degree oven. Doing all that gives me a good, thick, crunchy crust - my favorite part of cornbread. I then like to cut the cornbread as soon as it comes out of the oven/turns out of the skillet because I like to fix up my bowl of cornbread and milk while the cornbread is still extremely hot.

:drool: YYYUUMMM ! cornbread, I was raised on the stuff. Everything you said especially the part about it ain't square and it ain't cake

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks JAB, now ya got me hongry. I can't let the coonhounds read your message. The youngest one would run away from home to live at your house, and he would beg so pitiful that you would have to give him most of your cornbread.

On the fried bread angle, got to thinking about the old Woolworths soda fountain grilled cheese sammiches. A true delicacy. As best can recall, bacon, burger, sausage, steak, eggs, grilled cheese sammiches, all got cooked on the same big flat iron grille. So whatever meat had been recently cooking must have been at least partially what the sammiches were fried in?