Walking dead....

Caster

What would you do with him then? Gamble that he won't hurt anyone? Waste the resources to guard him al the time? Risk lives by trying to take him off and dump him again?

I'm not trying to justify executing the boy, this is really screwed up situation I hope to never be involved in. I would hate to know it was on my shoulders to decide. I think in this situation I'd talk Daryl into loading up around midnight and pull out, never even saying goodbye.

Not to step in the middle of the conversation, but you both have good points. Honestly I'm not up for just killing him outright, get some information out of him first, such as where the other group is located. He made the mistake though of saying he knew Maggie, which could imply that he at least has an idea where the farm is. Dropping him off is a little more humane but could possibly compromise the group if he linked back up with his people. So for that I would consider eliminating a threat. On the opposite side of the spectrum though he could be useful to Rick and all of them, who knows, maybe is just trying to survive. In this situation though there isn't really a good solution. You want to be humane but that could mean risking your hide. They need to assess the threat though and decide what to do from there. Or you know bargain him for food/ammo/supplies.

Guest lostpass

It wasn't his "don't kill the living" policy that made me not like him. It's his adamant opposition to "survival of the fittest" that couldn't stand. Like he's better than that, or too good to be under the rule of natural selection. Typical hippie crap. Might makes right and the strong survive at the expense of the weak. It always has been, so shall it forever be. The only difference with our world today is that it is more cost effective to give a few concessions with a pat on the head telling everyone how free and equal they are, then to just stomp them out. The fact remains the same though and no amount of talking like some college ethics professor will change that. People like Dale seem to think they are better than everything else in nature.

Dale was weak. I can't stand Shane, but when he dies, it won't be like that. I'd be shocked if he dies in a one on one; Taken by surprise.

It's not palatable to people who to be civilized but it's the way of things.

This is, quite possibly, the single most stupid comment I have ever read. Survival of the fittest is a fine ethos for the truly dense, if your thinking goes as far as "me strong, you not" then it is probably reflective of your understanding of evolution and such.

What is better than strong man kills weak man? Weak man gets strong man to work for him. Brains beat brawn every single time, you imagine a world where the well armed oppress the weak. I live in a world where the clever guy can get the strong guy to work for him for a few bucks an hour. That guy can be unfit, that guy can be dying of cancer but it doesn't matter. It is not survival of the fittest, it is survival of the most clever. You call it hippie stuff but the monkey who make the most compelling noises wins.

Guest Lester Weevils

This is, quite possibly, the single most stupid comment I have ever read. Survival of the fittest is a fine ethos for the truly dense, if your thinking goes as far as "me strong, you not" then it is probably reflective of your understanding of evolution and such.

What is better than strong man kills weak man? Weak man gets strong man to work for him. Brains beat brawn every single time, you imagine a world where the well armed oppress the weak. I live in a world where the clever guy can get the strong guy to work for him for a few bucks an hour. That guy can be unfit, that guy can be dying of cancer but it doesn't matter. It is not survival of the fittest, it is survival of the most clever. You call it hippie stuff but the monkey who make the most compelling noises wins.

For every time there is a season. Traits are neither good nor bad. Survival is neither good nor bad. Conditions vary. Each trait has its own survival bell curve as plotted against each set of conditions. Some conditions favor the strong. Some conditions favor the clever. Some conditions favor the deceitful. Some conditions favor owners of capital. Some conditions favor bat-guano-crazy persons who just accidentally happen to perfectly fit a fundamental human archtype of prophet, spiritual leader, sex symbol, bad boy, cute guy, whatever.

You present the dichotomy of smart vs strong. Here is the inimitable Mose Allison presenting the dichotomy of strong vs capital--

Would lay odds that a well-organized group of mediocre individuals will typically have higher odds of survival than any very talented sole proprietor. Though certain conditions might favor the talented loner. If the group is not well-organized then the group will be decimated or split into mediocre sole proprietors. Game theory implies that certain "moral standards" might overall improve odds of group cohesion and survival.

Where did I say brute strength makes right? I didn't. I said MIGHT makes right. This country isn't run by guys who are six foot four and 300 pounds of muscle. Our career politicians are prime example of 'knowledge is power'. Look at business, Bill Gates is a wimpy little thing. He's also the last guy to get in a fight with because when he barks an order, people move without question. That's power.

I can't believe I'm defending Shane as much as I can't stand him but, people like Shane will always survive. Dale? Its a crap shoot. Shane has the tools and the talent. He has the training, the will and mindset. The fact that he has the physical ability to beat you down is just a side affect.

I think you missed my point Lostpass.

Why are people arguing over a television show?

No one is arguing. The show is dealing with humanity and moral decisions at the moment. There will always be debate on the matter. Honestly, I'd be bothered if there weren't some differing opinions on the matter.

I can't believe I'm defending Shane as much as I can't stand him but, people like Shane will always survive. Dale? Its a crap shoot. Shane has the tools and the talent. He has the training, the will and mindset. The fact that he has the physical ability to beat you down is just a side affect.

But Shane will survive at the cost of others. And to me, thats a problem. He murdered Otis in cold blood. I have no problem with someone being a survivor. I do have a problem with them being a survivor by becoming a murderer. There are other ways to survive.

This for example.

funny-house-zombie-apocalypse-treadmills.jpg

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Like 1

But Shane will survive at the cost of others. And to me, thats a problem. He murdered Otis in cold blood. I have no problem with someone being a survivor. I do have a problem with them being a survivor by becoming a murderer.

You're right and I don't like it either.

Good has to struggle to survive, evil just has to keep doing what it does best. The world is full of Shanes and their greatest asset is their most hideous quality, A willingness to do what ever it takes. People like Rick have the opposite problem, their greatest attribute is the their greatest weakness. I guess that's why a man has to believe there are worse things than death. When a man believes there is NOTHING worse than death, well, you get another Shane.

Edited by Caster

I kinda thought the new kid sort of proved himself in that zombie battle. He did a good job of driving the car to rescue Shane. I suppose he could have slammed the car and Rick into something, but he didn't. Rick was hanging out the window and all. Shane was a goner.

Those two have a short memory.

They need to be cautious with the gas usage though. Conservation of gas should be pretty important to them.

Yes, but good water rank a bit higher. They haven't given a hint as to how well off they are [pun intended].

I'm still curious about that. Herschel seems to have a good bit of property but have they discussed the water sources at all? Generally, the wells would all be fed by the same source right? Just different well locations? If so, then all of their drinking water is contaminated from the well zombie.

Nope. I was referring to the whole "Hey everyone, I stole this article from the Cimmerian" in bright red letters.

Yeah I saw that. The bat rastards! You can post the picture and it shows up in your preview, but once you post it......

Yeah I saw that. The bat rastards! You can post the picture and it shows up in your preview, but once you post it......

Must be zombie sympathizers undermining forward thinking defense tactics.

On topic: Kinda shocked by the Dale death. I agreed with what he was saying about the rescued boy to some degree. I may be reading more into it overall, but to survive against a hoard of undead brain munchers, while also murdering another person trying to do the same thing makes us look at humanity in a different way. Our humanity is what keeps us running as a whole. When we start seeing people as a disposable means to an end, well, then we are no different from the terrorists we are fighting in real life, right now. That being said, sometimes very complicated moral decisions need to be made to insure survival of our family, or group.