Suggestions for an entry level 1911

Mojo230

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm not a 1911 fan but one of my good friends lives for them. I asked him one time the same question and didn't get too specific of an answer. I remember him saying the Taurus 1911's are impressive to be Taurus'. Some Rock Islands are good and some are not. Springfields have made a lot of people happy and so have the S&W's. I remember him saying stay away from the imports with the exception of one made in the Philipens that isn't too common. These are mostly all in your price range.

I also remember him saying Kimbers are pretty and then smiling, thats about the only thing good he says about them.

Edited by Patton
Guest bkelm18

Remington R1. Rock Island or ATI would be my other choices. I don't bother with Taurus guns anymore, plus I don't like the Taurus billboard they paint onto their slides. Just looks tacky.

+1 on Rock Island. Very nice 1911 for not too much.

EDIT: There's a nice Springfield 1911 package on the trading post for a great price right now. Right around your price range and comes with some extras.

Edited by TMF 18B

I have Rock Island Armory 1911 and love it. I beliveve the Metro Arms is very comparable with a different finish and hammer design. Belshire Hardware is local and sells budget 1911's at some of the best prices in the country. (I believe they sell on gunbroker.) D and T also has good prices / selection and are very helpful. They don't try to upsell if your budget doesn't allow it.

On your budget Rock Island, Metro Arms or one of the other Phillipino 1911's. They are excellent guns. You can be out the door easily under $600 and maybe still have enough for some ammo.

That cannot be said for any other brand.

This.

Guest Aces&8s

Just bought a new Metro Arms American Classic Commander today to go with my full-sized ACII. While I haven't shot the Commander yet, my first Metro Arms pistol runs like a champ, and I would recommend (and have done so several times) these guns to someone looking to get started in 1911s.

Guest Shootermcgavin

All these answers reminds me of researching a 1911. There are so many answers due to the variability of the model. My only regret was that I didn't try more guns before my purchase. Having said that, I'm sure if I shot a kimber, wilson, blah blahberson's, etc I'd prob still be looking or would've wound up spending a lot more. See if you can find a friend with a couple or maybe try some rentals to see which best suits you as a base platform remembering that anything on it other than the general ergonomics can be upgraded later. Hope this helps.

As said before the phillipinos are fine, Rock Island, Metro, etc. they usually come with smooth wood grips, which I don't like, but are easily changed.

The ruger sr1911 will be good when you can find it, but doubt you'll get out the door for under $600. Maybe under $700, which is still a great deal.

Guest NashvegasMatt

I want to buy one, but only halve around 600.00 to go towards one. Which would you suggest for that price?

Since no one asked yet... I will. What are you going to be doing with it? Range, carry, safe queen? What caliber do you feel will suit you? Once you are able to answer these questions, the selection will narrow down significantly. Here is how I chose mine.

- First was price (narrowed it down to 20 models or so)

- Caliber ( for me it was .45 to start out, but I also enjoy my .38 and 9mm, and 10mm's as well.)

- After those two are answered this is the point where the amount of guns that fits the criteria literally splits in half.

- Then ask the question that makes or breaks this debate..... SIZE! Let me be perfectly honest with you, carrying a commander length vs. a full size model warrants no difference in comfort. What I mean is that if you are on the line between a full size and a commander, go with the full size because the weight is almost the same, and the slide is barely shorter, which means you'll never forget you have it. If carrying is not the goal, then obviously get one with good sights (no rails, like on the entry rocks) and a nice trigger pull.

- do you have to have new or can you deal with used (take away ruger or any models which are on the $600 line... also, I don't know what ruger that other person was suggesting, but there is no such thing as a ruger 1911 under $600...not to mention they are on backorder for about 6 months.)

- Be prepared to wait.... whether or not it's new or used, the wait is the only way to a good deal....no impulse buys.....

Now: Here's my suggestion in the $600 range.

303-DEFAULT-S.jpg

It can be had at kygunco for for $590 (plus $25 for FFL) and the stainless version for $646.....Heres the link and happy shooting: http://www.kygunco.c...ec-pistol-45acp

ps. the thing I like about kygunco is that they do not do buds BS price confusion... it is what it is, and if you want to pay with a CC add $12..which is still way less than anywhere in town.

Edited by NashvegasMatt

Where are you? I was in Direct Hit a few weeks ago and he had several enrty level springfields around the $600 price tag that you could go handle. My Metro commander came with checkered mahogany grips and dovetail sights that is why I chose it over RIA at the same price. Just shop around and read the details.

Bud's pricing isn't confusing. Their listed price +3% if buying with a credit card. That is it. You don't have to buy insurance or anything else. So on that $600 gun it is gonig to be $618, no more.

I have bought several guns from Buds and I have never been confused by their pricing structure.

I have also bought guns from Gilbert's Guns, They are a good seller as well but they do charge shipping.

As far as what gun to get I will say my Metro Arms has been great. It came with beavertail and extended controls as well as decent, not great, sights. I have over 3,000 rounds through it now without a single malfunction. The slide to fram fit is tighter than any of the RIA's I was comapring it to. As a matter of fact the fit was better than my Colt. It also shot better than my Colt. I paid $475 out the door for it and I have about $600 in it right now by replacing all the internals with parts that are not MIM because it was destined to be a carry gun. I will gladly put my Metro up against any gun under $800 and probably any $1,000 gun as far as reliablilty and accuracy.

Dolomite

My ACII Commander came factory with Novak rear sights and dovetail front sights. The butt on mine is square like the full size not rounded like the original commander size therefore it takes standard 1911. These are just the little things you need to find out. Skeleton combat trigger and hammer. You may not be saving money if you purchase an entry level that you are going to have to spend more than you saved upgrading. I really suggest you shoot of possible or at least handle. See if you like the combat hammer over the standard hammer.