Help me decide which 1911??

Guest Catfish36

Guest Catfish36

http://www.sigsauer....nless-rail.aspx

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=3

I looked at both of these weapons again today at 2 different gun shops. They are both really calling out to me. Sticker price on these puts the Sig only about $65 higher than the Springer.

Sig has night sights and rail.

But I still love that American made Springer.

Tough call. Any opinions ??

Edited by Catfish36
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brianf88

If you are staying in that price range the Sig. I don't want you to have to tune so much out of the box for the loaded. If you can wait , save some more and get the Trp comp ready out of the box!

Guest Plainsman

I haven't shot a SIG, so I can't speak for them in any form or fashion, but I like the front strap checkering. I own two springfield 1911s and couldn't be happier with mine. Hopefully you wouldn't need the customer service, but its excellent if you do and gives some peace of mind. I'm a fan of the forged frame and slide on the Springers as well.

Guest Catfish36

If you are staying in that price range the Sig. I don't want you to have to tune so much out of the box for the loaded. If you can wait , save some more and get the Trp comp ready out of the box!

Where can I handle a TRP around Knoxville/maryville? How much will the TRP set me back? I don't see the stainless TRP with woodgrips on the Springfield site..so I guess I will have to add those on later.

Guest Catfish36

Isn't the Sig made in America? I think it is.

I just learned last night from the Sig man Jeff that Sig is made in America now....so that is no longer the issue. ha. Really leaning towards the Sig now...seems the majority on here prefer the Springer. Does anyone know of any problems with breaking down the sig? Can it be done by hand or does it require a tool.? I heard that out of the box with out making changes to the spring...that the Springfield required an allen wrench.

I like your style. Many people think they need to buy what they call "entry level" 1911s but you went straight to the good ones. You can hardly go wrong with either the Springfield of the Sig.

Edited by Will Carry
Guest msparks

I just learned last night from the Sig man Jeff that Sig is made in America now....so that is no longer the issue. ha. Really leaning towards the Sig now...seems the majority on here prefer the Springer. Does anyone know of any problems with breaking down the sig? Can it be done by hand or does it require a tool.? I heard that out of the box with out making changes to the spring...that the Springfield required an allen wrench.

When looking for my reentry into 1911's I went around and looked at everything. I wanted a edc gun so that lead me to a lightweight model and I like 4" barrels. After all the looking, the Sig is what I chose and I'm extremely happy with this gun.

-No tools required to take down

-Normal sized safety (right hand only, that's what I wanted too)

-Great sights, night sights were available on some models.

-Legendary Sig Customer service (I've heard terrible things about some of the competition)

Anyhow good luck on your choice I'm sure the springer is a great gun (I have an XD45) and love it. Just saying don't overlook the Sig.

Maybe check out STI too, if you can find one. The Trojan would probably be around the same price range you are looking at. All STIs are US made(Texas), except for the Spartan which is their entry level 1911. I have handled a few Sigs, and I own a Springfield and two STIs as well as a couple other 1911s, and I would take an STI every time for the money. I am not at all impressed by the fit and finish of my Springer, it is the most ill-fitted of all my 1911s, although it has been very reliable so far. But my STIs are both top shelf in fit, finish, and function.

Edited by USMCJG
Guest Brianf88

I do not know about the maryville area. I've seen on budsgunshop.com for 1200-1300 and a transfer cheapest I've seen locally was 1300 at greenbrier. Yes they do not have wood grips but the grips on there plus the 20lpi checkering makes for a positive grip. On the Sig I like the tac ops or scorpion. Let's us know what you get!