Act of Valor

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Just got back from seeing this. Not a bad film. For those that don't know, it stars active duty Navy SEALs. The action scenes were very good as they were choreographed by the SEALs themselves. They weren't overglorified in Hollywood fashion. The action scenes were short and to the point, much like how I'd imagine them to be in real life. The SEALs did a pretty good job with their acting skills, only a couple hammy parts. Aside from that though, it was pretty much a cookie cutter, generic action film with not a whole lot of substance but I wasn't expecting an Oscar winning film. I think it was well done and I think it portrayed the SEALs well as just guys doing their jobs and not some Rambo type stuff. At the end before the credits they rolled all the names of Navy Special Warfare service members that have died since 9/11, and there were quite a few and I found it difficult not to get a little misty eyed. A couple people got up and left during this which I thought was kinda disrespectful, but I guess it's just a movie. I recommend the film, just don't go into it expecting some explosive Hollywood action movie.

Edited by bkelm18

Just got back from the movie and bkelm said almost exactly what I would have said (in so many words). I want to say to that the theater was almost entirely full and very few left when the SEALs' names were scrolling (I too thought it was a little disrespectful). Anyway, ditto to the original review.

Edited by Turf
Guest bkelm18

Very awesome movie. I giggled uncontrollably when they were lighting people up with the minigun.

Ditto, that was probably my favorite part. Talk about domination.

Guest bkelm18

How appropriate do you think it would be for a teenager? Language isn't much of problem. Skin would be.

There are no "adult situations". Just language and combat related violence.

Edited by bkelm18

Works for me. My son and I went to see the Grey last week. Language was pretty bad, but nothing kids don't hear at school anymore. But I thoght it was realistic for guys on a construction crew or working on an oil rig. Some parts I thought were stupid though. I don't think there would be a bar like was protrayed, on such a site in Alaska. I thought the movie itself was a bit hokey too.

Edited by Moped

I saw the movie yesterday and concur with most of the OP. I was intrigued by their mixing of the typical spectator views with 1st person shooter views of not only the combat but also the jump/SCUBA scenes. I noticed a lot of women and a few men got restless during the relatively short movie, and I wonder if it was because of the nature of the film, (being a participant rather than a voyeur), and the business-like nature in which the story is portrayed.

The scene over the sub was awesome, (I thought so anyways), but wasn't that a boomer, and aren't the SEAL Team and their mini-subs attached to attack subs?

The LT's letter to his unborn son about tore me up - in particular looking into the baby's eyes while his momma read the letter. Too many in our society insulate themselves from such thoughts of sacrifice by our servicemembers.

I was also struck by the fact that 60 SEAL Team members have been KIA since 09/11/01 and the making of that film. I thanked them for their sacrifice.

• Like 1

We went last night and the theater was packed. When the mother was reading the letter you could hear a pin drop. And when the names of the KIA SEALs started scrolling no one moved an inch, everyone waiting until the credits starting rolling to move.

Overall I thought it was a good movie. It was worth going to see it in the theater for me. I really liked the "first person" shots. There were a few little weapons and tactical things that they did for Hollywood so to speak. But other than that it was good.

I thought this movie was great. I would put it above "The Patriot" and "Black Hawk Down" but below "Saving Private Ryan". I was holding back a few tears at the end of this movie. No BS, the acting was good, and like others said no Rambo type stuff here. At the end of the movie, it was the most quiet I have ever heard a movie theater be. Nobody moved or said anything.

Edited by ls3_kid
Guest bkelm18

At the end of the movie, it was the most quiet I have ever heard a movie theater be. Nobody moved or said anything.

No kidding, I don't think I heard anybody say a word until they got out of the door.

Guest 73challenger

I loved it. I want to see it again. The acting wasn't that good by the seals. But, they're seals. The action made up for that. After seeing it I wanted to go kick in some doors. Ha maybe I should change my major to something more door kicking friendly.

Awsome movie. Only one guy walked out while the names of the dead were being shown. I was more disgusted by the people sharing my row who left their popcorn and soda containers in the seats after the movie.

I will rate it slightly behind BHD and just in front of Heat.

Awsome movie. Only one guy walked out while the names of the dead were being shown. I was more disgusted by the people sharing my row who left their popcorn and soda containers in the seats after the movie.

I will rate it slightly behind BHD and just in front of Heat.

I put it in front of Black Hawk Down, interesting.

• 5 months later...