Feel like I hit the lottery

Guest A10thunderbolt

I agree, we should just assume the OP is doing the right thing he was probably just being funny with the Lottery statement. I am bothered by the "just keep it it won't hurt them they are big enough it won't matter" mentality some others did have.

I agree, we should just assume the OP is doing the right thing he was probably just being funny with the Lottery statement. I am bothered by the "just keep it it won't hurt them they are big enough it won't matter" mentality some others did have.

Oh, agreed. Some of those post are really out of place both in regards to morals and the OP.

Mike, I'm a lot of things, a liar or a cheat has never been one of them. It never occurred to me than anyone could make that kind of error. Had the can been marked, I would have known exactly what was in it especially since I thought it had to be marked by law (guess I was wrong). This was my very first C&R order to my home. I have had Mosins before, but they came from the store and were uncrated with all the goodies out and in the open. I didn't know this was not how they came originally.

Actually, taking something that doesn't belong to you would qualify as a cheat; or a better term would be theif. I can't believe you'd post something like that on an internet forum and not expect an unpleasant reply.

Technically it is his to do with as he wishes. Unsolicited things sent to you without your knowledge or consent are considered gifts by the law.

I can cite several examples of technically legal behavior that is in no way moral.

I can see by this thread several people here I would like to do business with, as well as several I'll make a point to avoid doing business with.

Edited by gregintenn

I find this thread really sad as well. I've always seen the gun enthusiast community as a notch above the general population in morality. That may well still be true, and this is just evidence of the general moral decline of our entire culture.

I wasn't aiming the comments in my previous post at the OP, or at anyone in particular, but at anyone who thinks keeping the ammo was a good idea.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

The moral dilemma is one that is assumed, not in fact. This thread has turned into some major moral dilemma that was neither presented or asked, but inferred by OTHERS who assumed they knew the intention of the OP. According to the OP he opened the can not knowing what it was and the dealer was closed so he couldn't call once he realized the error. Whether or not he called first thing this AM and paid for it or sent it back is not known.

Give the guy a break, relax on solving the worlds morality issues on an internet forum, and climb down from the ivory tower. I don't know TNT well enough to vouch for what he will do, but the interactions I've had with him lead me to believe that he has been completely taken out of context and fully intends to do the right thing. It would have been as equally easy (and morally right BTW) to assume he was asking in innocence rather than assume he was some moral-less thief. :shake:

You are way off base.

I never aimed any comment to the OP. My responses were aimed at G27ATT and his original post about keeping the ammo.

Coming from you Nathan, telling me to "climb down from the ivory tower" I find offensive and I assure you that I will never climb down said tower. Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong. PERIOD

I would hope in the future before you come at me bro., you will take the time to re-read my post and think about what I meant instead of just flying off half cocked.

• Moderators

This is the proper way to handle this situation per the Federal Trade Commission's website.

Q. What should I do if the unordered merchandise I received was the result of an honest shipping error?

A. Write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for postage and handling. Give the seller a specific and reasonable amount of time (say 30 days) to pick up the merchandise or arrange to have it returned at no expense to you. Tell the seller that you reserve the right to keep the merchandise or dispose of it after the specified time has passed.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/products/pro15.shtm

Not directed at the OP specifically, but definitely to some others in this thread. You notify and they say keep it, cool. Just keeping it without notifying the shipper of the error, not only is it not cool, it's theft. Justify it however you want. At the end of the day, you are still a thief.

You are way off base.

I never aimed any comment to the OP. My responses were aimed at G27ATT and his original post about keeping the ammo.

Coming from you Nathan, telling me to "climb down from the ivory tower" I find offensive and I assure you that I will never climb down said tower. Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong. PERIOD

I would hope in the future before you come at me bro., you will take the time to re-read my post and think about what I meant instead of just flying off half cocked.

I apologize for getting off topic on an off topic post. These threads are supposed to be geared to the OP and I did assume it was in regards to that. I certainly agree with you on some of the other nonsense post that were made, but I was ignoring them as the ignorance that they were. Miscommunication on my part for assuming as I accused you of doing. Really thought this thread is getting hard to follow. Seems there are about three or four different rabbit trails going. ;)

Now that I went back and read the OP, I can say that my opinion could and should be aimed toward him. He said:

What I found was that it was a case of 7.62x54r steel core ammo. So I got 2 free cases of ammo. WTF? Worth more than the rifles I payed for.

Big question: Being that it is from completely unmarked spam cans, should I trust firing it? The cartridges seem to be appropiately maked and good to go.

Sure don't sound like anyone is planing on returning anything. Well unless it is empty casings.

So for me to "keep on topic" my answer to his question:

Being that it is from completely unmarked spam cans, should I trust firing it? The cartridges seem to be appropiately maked and good to go.

Should be no. I would be scared to shoot ammo that I obtained in this manner. Karma might jump up and bite me.

Edited by memphismason

"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is watching. "

I'm a bit surprised that so many of y'all are in favor of keeping the ammo. If the OP didn't intend to keep it, if he really was going to call the shipper, then why go ask if it's safe to shoot?

Just sayin...

• Like 2

"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is watching. "

I'm a bit surprised that so many of y'all are in favor of keeping the ammo. If the OP didn't intend to keep it, if he really was going to call the shipper, then why go ask if it's safe to shoot?

Just sayin...

Benefit of the doubt on ambiguity and keeping with the COC of maintaining good relations with fellow members. ;) Just sayin.

• Admin Team

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. As nothing good has occured in 3 pages, it's doubtful that it'll start now.

I am kind of surprised that this has gone on for three pages. Really? Any third grader knows the right thing to do. Anything else is just rationalizing a wrong, and hurts the company you were so excited about doing business with in the process.