Cultivating Salt

Guest FiddleDog

Guest FiddleDog

This would be a pretty important thing. Does anyone know how to do this here in the Middle Tennessee Area? I already know how to grow salt crystals...but you need salt to start off with...any ideas?

Edited by FiddleDog

Don't know how to MAKE salt, but know how to grow salt crystals, from a super-saturated solution. Salt (NaCl) is one of the commonest minerals on earth - why would you want to make it?

For use after the apocalypse and the local stores are out. I think he meant more along the lines of a good source in TN and how to extract/purify it once you acquired some.

I would like to know my self.

Edited by Makiaveli
  • Admin Team

There's a good piece at the end of Michael Polan's Omnivore's Dilema where he talks about cultivating salt from locally sourced ocean water. Basically, in the 2012 version, the end result was so contaminated by other metals/chemicals/whatever else in the salt water that the end product was awful tasting and smelling and essentially useless..

Guest bkelm18

Break into a chemistry lab and steal Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic acid) and Sodium Hydroxide. Mix them together and you get NaCl and water. :P I wouldn't eat the product though. ;)

Edited by bkelm18

There's a good piece at the end of Michael Polan's Omnivore's Dilema where he talks about cultivating salt from locally sourced ocean water. Basically, in the 2012 version, the end result was so contaminated by other metals/chemicals/whatever else in the salt water that the end product was awful tasting and smelling and essentially useless..

The ocean water from TN would be really nasty, I'd say. ;)

- OS

Break into a chemistry lab and steal Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic acid) and Sodium Hydroxide. Mix them together and you get NaCl and water. :P I wouldn't eat the product though. ;)

That's true of any acid mixed with a base. The end result is water, salt and a chemical reaction most commonly exothermic [heat]. The problem is as you say, nothing you'd want to consume. Without a strong education on the subject you wouldn't even know what kind of salt you were getting. It is true that Lye and Hydrochloric acid will produce Sodium Chloride and that's the salt we all know and love, but who'd want to be the guinea pig for that?

As for the OP, you'd be much better served putting large quantities of salt away with your SHTF stores.

Guest lostpass

I think salt would be the least of your worries. You get plenty of it from food. sure you wouldn't be able to go crazy on the fries but you're probably not eating fries anyway. Salt is need but a need that is covered by the calories you eat. You might want more salt but you won't need it.

I haven't a clue as to how to cultivate salt, but it is an essential part of our food stores.

Salt is currently very inexpensive. It has an indefinite storage life, if stored properly.

We use a good bit of salt each year in preparing food for storage...canning, pickling, and fermenting foods from our garden.

It is also used in prepping meat for storage.

We have even made a sodium chloride solution for wound care with it...processed it through the pressure canner, and now have some sterile irrigation saline put up.

It's also an essential portion of homemade electrolyte replacement solution...i.e. Gatorade or gooknaid...

In ancient times salt was literally worth it's weight in gold. And would, in a post-collapse scenario, be a valuable barter item.

We have a couple of hundred pounds of iodized salt in 5 gallon buckets, and keep at least 20# of pickling salt on hand for rotational food processing use.

I agree with the premise lostpass put forth, in that we, as a culture in general, consume a good bit more dietary salt than we probably should.

But, salt is an essential item that we would be hard pressed to find a substitute for.

:2cents:

In colonial times, salt was found at salt licks - natural outcroppings of salt which also attracted wild game, making a trip to the salt lick a good opportunity to hunt. Another source of salt was salt springs where salt could be obtained thru evaporation. Frontiersmen in western Pennsylvania and Virginia used to carry salt over the mountains to the coastal towns to trade for necessary items.

Search an atlas or online for places near you with 'lick' or 'salt' in the place name and you'll probably find a source of salt.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Edited by enfield

Good point enfield.

One of the points I found of interest in the book Alas Babylon was the discovery of a salt pit by the main character. Having no electricity, it was one of the primary methods they were using for preserving meats and other foods.

The book is an excellent read btw, and from 1959 even. :up:

I think salt would be the least of your worries. You get plenty of it from food. sure you wouldn't be able to go crazy on the fries but you're probably not eating fries anyway. Salt is need but a need that is covered by the calories you eat. You might want more salt but you won't need it.

What you aren't considering is that salt would be useful beyond making fries taste better. In the absence of refrigeration, packing meat in salt can help preserve it, whether used as a stand-alone method (salt curing) or in conjuction with other methods, such as drying (making jerky) or smoking.

Prag posted his above comment, along the same lines, while I was composing mine.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Another consideration: if sanitation breaks down, cholera will be rampant.

It can kill in 2 days, but is quite easily treated, IF you have sugar and salt. Optimum fluid replacement has other stuff in it, but simple sugar and salt in clean water will do it in majority of cases.

So don't forget the sugar, too, it's more than just a luxury item.

- OS

Does anyone know any good places to get salt in bulk while we still can ?

I picked up the majority of mine (Morton Brand) at Food City. It was about $7.00 per 25 pound bag a few years back.

fwiw, here's a couple of recipes for electrolyte replacement solutions:

HomeBrew recipe:

• 1 cup filtered or spring water
  • 1/8 teaspoon of Sea Salt or iodized salt (sodium chloride)
  • 1/8 teaspoon of "No Salt" salt substitute (potassium chloride).
  • 6-8 tsp of sugar
  • Add some Koolaid or other flavoring to suit.
  • OR
  • Add lime juice or an herbal teabag as well as stevia for taste (or something to give it flavor without altering the electrolyte balance: peppermint, peach, raspberry zinger, etc.)

David Werner's book Where There Is No Doctor:

1L clean water

1/2 tsp salt

8 level tsp sugar or molasses

Before adding sugar make sure the drink tastes less salty than tears.

Another consideration: if sanitation breaks down, cholera will be rampant.

It can kill in 2 days, but is quite easily treated, IF you have sugar and salt. Optimum fluid replacement has other stuff in it, but simple sugar and salt in clean water will do it in majority of cases.

So don't forget the sugar, too, it's more than just a luxury item.

- OS

Good point. Cholera, per it's diarrhea, can kill a person in short order. It's been a major issue following the earthquake in Haiti.

And dehydration occurs year round here in TN. We see more of it in the summer months obviously...but several cases over the winter as well.

The recent bought of viral gastroenteritis circulating about brought quite a few patients into our E.R. (my workplace).

We also keep several buckets of sugar on hand as well.

It's for more than just sweet tea...

Guest FiddleDog

excellent, this is the discussion that i was hoping for. i know that Nashville used to be called Big Salt Lick, but have know idea where it is to get at it should supplies run out.

And yes, i was thinking specifically the medicinal and preservative proporties of salt.

Edited by FiddleDog

FiddleDog, et al;

I ran across a document in one of my folders on LTS and Food Preservation regarding a variety of uses for salt.

Unfortunately I don't. yet, know how to attach a word file. But this link is to a similar document.

I did copy the below, and though most folks may already be aware of this info, I hope it may be useful to those newer folks to prepping and food storage:

THE USES OF SALT

"The storage life for salt is indefinite. So long as you keep it dry and do not let it get contaminated with dirt or whatever, it will never go bad. Over time, iodized salt may turn yellow, but this is harmless and may still be used. Salt it rather hygroscopic and will adsorb moisture from the air if not sealed in an airtight container. If it does adsorb moisture and cakes up, it can be dried in the oven and then broken up with no harm done.

All salt, however, is not the same. Salt comes in a number of different varieties, each with its own purpose.

Table Salt:

This is by far the most widely known type of salt. It comes in two varieties; iodized and non-iodized. There is an ingredient added to it to absorb moisture so it will stay free flowing in damp weather. This non-caking agent does not dissolve in water and can cause cloudiness in whatever solution it is used if sufficiently large quantities are used. In canning it won't cause a problem since there is very little per jar. For pickling, though, it would be noticeable. If you are storing salt for this purpose, you should be sure to choose plain pickling salt, or other food grade pure salt. In the iodized varieties, the iodine can cause discoloration or darkening of pickled foods so be certain not to use it for that purpose.

Canning Salt:

This is pure salt and nothing but salt. It can usually be found in the canning supplies section of most stores. This is the salt o be preferred for most food preservation or storage uses."

Edited by prag

I frequently keep a few extra packets of salt and/or pepper at fast food restaurants that allow you to serve yourself (don't get ridiculous). I don't think you will be preserving much with what you save but a little bit of salt after your 20th day of squirrel and acorns or your 50th mre, a little salt and pepper might go a long way.

excellent, this is the discussion that i was hoping for. i know that Nashville used to be called Big Salt Lick, but have know idea where it is to get at it should supplies run out.

And yes, i was thinking specifically the medicinal and preservative proporties of salt.

From John Donelson's Journal (1780):

"Proceeded on quietly until the 12th of April, at which time we came to the mouth of a little river running on the north side, by Moses Renfoe and his company called Red River, up which they intend to settle. Here they took leave of us. We proceeded up Cumberland, nothing happening material until the 23rd, when we reached the first settlement on north side of the river, one mile and a half below the Big Salt Lick and called Eaton's Station, after a man of that name, who with several other fami­lies, came through Kentucky and settled there."

The

TN historical marker for French Lick (Jefferson & 5th Avenue, Nashville) reads:

==============

3A 31 GREAT FRENCH LICK - In 1710, a French trader from New Orleans

had a trading post near the salt and sulphur spring which attracted game of

all kinds. His successor was Charles Charleville, who died here in 1780,

aged 84. The spring was about 300 yards southwest; the trading post was on

this spot.

Edited by enfield

" Does anyone know any good places to get salt in bulk while we still can ? "

There's a Robert Orr/Cysco outlet store that sells commercial quantities of food items in Nashville, on Charlotte Ave about a half mile from White Bridge Road towards downtown. I'm sure they have other outlets around the state.