If you could have only one handgun......

Guest wmann

Guest wmann

I going to throw my thoughts out there on this- because it will be a home defense gun and because you cannot carry and are limited to 10 rnds.....and because the likely hood is that my wife may need to use it if I were not there I am thinking revolver for simplicitys sake. She loves to shoot but in a high stress situation I dont want her to have to think about slides or safetys. So even though I love my Kimber and my Glock....I may go with my SP101 or my s&w airweight 38.

4th Generation Glock 21 or 3rd Generation 21SF. It's and odd pick for me since I don't even own one or have plans to purchase on in the immediate future. What I do have is a 22(.40) and a 17(9mm). However, with the 10 round magazine thing would push me toward the .45. I'd like to pick up a 20(10mm) when the 4th Generation model is released, but I wouldn't pick a niche caliber for my only handgun and I consider the 10mm to be a niche caliber or I'd already own one. An extremely close second choice (maybe even a tie) would be an Smith & Wesson M&P .45.

Edited by JReedEsq

One gun? How good can this job really be?

*restrictive gun laws

*hot bed for volcanic activity

*tsunami or a hurricane and you're screwed

*cost of living is astronomical

I hope you're making deep into 6 figures because I can't see a single reason to take any job there.

One gun? How good can this job really be?

*restrictive gun laws

*hot bed for volcanic activity

*tsunami or a hurricane and you're screwed

*cost of living is astronomical

I hope you're making deep into 6 figures because I can't see a single reason to take any job there.

10 rnd handgun limits aint that big of a deal :)

--- Besides, it has the 5th lowest crime in the nation :)

Don't have to worry about volcanic activity :)

--- Only one island has any volcanic activity at all and its fun to go see :)

Couple hours warning for tsunamis, several weeks warning for hurricanes :)

--- We've been hit by the worst and we've made it just fine :)

Only thing that's really "more expensive" is property/rent :)

--- Significantly better pay across the board to compensate for higher cost of living :)

It's what you pay for living in paradise! I guarantee you will have a blast and you will never want to leave!

Guest bkelm18

Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but gun laws are not at the top of the list of things to consider if I were considering a job related move. My family's well being and quality of life are more of a priority. I'd move to Chicago/NYC/DC if it meant a better life for my family.

Yes it is.

Meh, that's why I carry and work at home

It only takes one

And how far can you run in a couple of hours? It would only take one good one to rinse the whole place away.

So far.

--- Significantly better pay across the board to compensate for higher cost of living :)

It's what you pay for living in paradise! I guarantee you will have a blast and you will never want to leave!

Yes it is.

Meh, that's why I carry and work at home

It only takes one

And how far can you run in a couple of hours? It would only take one good one to rinse the whole place away.

So far.

groundhog-sees-shadow.jpg

Maybe :)

Paranoid people are rarely caught off guard. Couple that with the differing opinions of what "paradise" is and I think I'll take TN.

I'm glad people like it there because it could be worse, they could be living here.

If I could only have one handgun it would be a .357 Magnum revolver with a four inch barrel. Currently, for me, that would mean my older model (six shot) Taurus 66. To my mind, as it can be loaded with anything from low-end .38 Special to heavy hardcast .357 loads, it is the most versatile handgun/caliber combination. That would also mean that, in an environment where it sounds like private firearms ownership is restricted (meaning there may not be access to a wide range of ammo types, etc.) I wouldn't have to worry too much about finding ammo my gun 'likes' as far as functionality, which can be an issue with some semiautos. For HD, my thought is that if six from a .357 won't get the job done then chances are I ain't getting the job done with any handgun. In fact, I believe that so strongly that the .357 is my bedside gun despite having other choices, including semiautos.

A .357 revolver would be hard to beat for doing many different things with one platform. Especially if you reload for it.

At least to the frightened sheeple, a revolver is slightly less threatening than our evil plastic fantastics.

Maybe :)

Couple that with the differing opinions of what "paradise" is and I think I'll take TN.

Yeah. I've never been to Hawaii but I've been to other 'tropical' locales. After about a week, sand, sun and surf starts being my idea of what the first, second or maybe even third ring of Hell would look like. In fact, I have been to Hell and, unbeknownst to some, it is actually on Grand Cayman Island, in the Bahamas.

http://en.wikipedia....l,_Grand_Cayman

Edited by JAB

well Ill be different and go with a 22 if it was "the only handgun I can own"

Cheap ammo easy to find ammo. Quite. or more so that others. Ammo is easy to store and carry.

And yes it will defend when one learns how to shoot it.