Multiples of your favorite? (My next purchase)

Slasher

Do you have backups of your favorite handgun? It is time to get another pistol and I am struggling with what to get. I love my Glock 19 and want to stick to a 9mm, possibly a 40, to keep my calibers consolidated. I have a XDm 40 that was my first gun but after getting the Glock a year ago I just really like how it fits my hand. I have some tax return money that I have marked for a new gun and was thinking about getting a second 19 to have in case anything ever happened to my first one but didn't know if that was overkill or if it made more sense to try something different. I have shot the Ruger SR9c and thought that was nice and was also thinking about the Glock 17 but I already have multiple magazines for the 19 and would have to get new magazines and holsters if I went with something different.

I also need to get a shotgun, Rem 870 or Mossberg 500, and wouldn't mind having some type semi-auto 308 but not sure if I want to get those before I have a backup to my main pistol.

More than anything I am just looking for your thoughts and opinions. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to have backups of my carry guns. That being said, I had to sell them because of financial restraints. But, if I were you, since the Glock platform seems to fit you, I would go with another 19, then a 17 so you have a full size option, as well.

Then, I would have a 26, just to have every size option.

Edited by Steelharp
Guest Lester Weevils

I only have one identical pair-- A couple of Beretta 92FS Inox about 15 years different in age. Had enjoyed the first 92. A few years ago 92FS got rare in gun stores. Blue 92FS were rare and inox 92FS even more so. Gun store shelves were wall-to-wall plastic guns with an occasional 1911.

Wanted a spare in case 92 was in danger of being discontinued. That is what eventually happens to a product when people stop buying and stores stop selling. It took about a year to find a new 92FS inox fer sail local at a "reasonable price."

Lately 92FS does not seem rare any more. But for a couple of years the 92FS really did get hard to find new.

Would like to eventually get an additional S&W .357 mag similar to my 4" 586. But two identical 4" 586 seems kinda silly. Maybe get a 6" barrel 586. Or even a 5" or 6" barrel 686, 686 plus, model 27 or 627. Any would probably be "close enough" matches and maybe I'd like the new-different model even better.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I kinda liken guns to fast cars and women. More of a variety and different feel. Some are quick, some are slow. Some have some punch, some have sweetness and finess. Some get the job done quickly, but others are just adequate. Some are full of suprises. However, the twin thing is kinda of luring. I might have to do that!

Only identicals I have are because the wife wanted her own, so 10-22 is duplicated, sig 238 is duped, fullsize 1911s are sorta duped (different brands but same thing). I have enough guns that if my carry gun were broken, I could use a different gun easily. I see no reason to have exact copies of a gun, or even very similar ones -- the important thing is you have *something* you can use as a backup, and that you are familiar with it.

Guest bkelm18

I'm weird (OCD) when it comes to stuff like that. I don't like having identicals and I don't really even like having more than one pistol in the same caliber.

I got an original CZ-75 back in the early '80's. When the CZ-75B started to be sold in this country inexpensively, I bought one so I could save the wear and tear on my original CZ-75. My wife liked the CZ-75B and said 'Thank you!" So, I had to buy another one for myself. Then, I bought a CZ-75 Compact to try out as a carry gun. I like it a lot, but still carry my Star PD instead. Then a fellow I used to work with offered me a CZ-75 BD at a killer price, so I bought that one too.

My '94-dated one now has over 20,000 rounds wihout any parts failures. I recently replaced all the springs 'just because'. My wife's pistol broke a firing pin at about 2,000rds. It was replaced, and I got a couple of spares, but nof teh CZs has had any other problems.

I bought a couple of CZ-82s when they became cheap. I got two because I knew my wife would want one.

I don't much care for the polymer ones or feel like paying what they ask now.

Guest Scramasax

I'm a little wierd. I like consecutive number guns. I've been fortunate enough to get multiple 1911s either already customized by Chad Kandros or get him to customize my new ones. Don't have but two csn revolvers but have multiples of my carry guns. If possible I get a full steel version and an aluminum version of the same model. One to shoot a lot and one to carry. There are exceptions to this on hard to find guns. But I try to get as close as possible.

If I had to pair down what I own due to finances it would be: Two 4" 357 k frames, two 1911GM, and two BHP. These are the guns I have used/carried for over 30 years. I've got .22 conversion kits for the 1911 and BHP so this would cover my basic needs.

Cheers,

ts

if I were you, since the Glock platform seems to fit yo, I would go with another 19, then a 17 so you have a full size option, as well.

Then, I would have a 26, just to have every size option.

This makes a lot of sense. Then again, you might consider a 23. That way you could have another caliber option in a package you know you like.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm weird (OCD) when it comes to stuff like that. I don't like having identicals and I don't really even like having more than one pistol in the same caliber.

That is an understandable obsession. One time followed an obsession to collect at least one good example of each type of music synthesis tech (additive, subtractive, wavetable, FM, PD, sampler, etc).

However maybe it would be most practical to have at least a pair of guns in each caliber of interest in order to "protect the overall investment"?

If a guy happened to have a bunch of ammo on hand for caliber X but he only owns one gun capable of firing caliber X-- If that only gun breaks then the big stack of caliber X ammo on the shelf would be useless until the gun can be repaired or replaced?

A caliber redundancy minor collector obsession caused me to seek at least one example of both pistol and rifle in each caliber of interest. Aided by not having many calibers of interest. Ended up with both rifle and pistol for .223, .357, 9mm, and .22LR. If the .223 rifle breaks then at least the .223 ammo can be used in the pistol, etc. I don't have redundancy in .22 mag or .380, but also don't shoot those much, and don't have much sunk-money in .22 mag or .380 ammo.

A similar game could seek both semi-auto and revolver in each caliber of interest.

I appreciate everyone's response and they all make a lot of sense. I will be looking for another Glock 19 and then maybe more Glocks and possibly more revolvers.

Thanks again, the gun community has some of the nicest people in the world.

I have multpiles of Glocks but they are not identical, at least not to me.

Some are different generations, calibers, and different colors.

To me they are very different but to most they are identical

I do try as many different guns as I can as well. Never know until you try what you will like

Edited by swim615