Pulled over in Memphis with ar 15 and glock?

Guest JeremyD901

I am shocked, Shocked! -- to read the original poster's report and allegations of an ignorance of the law and of a lack of professionalism amidst the ranks of the Memphis Police Department. I imagine the instances of unprofessional behavior in the Memphis police ranks are few and far between.

[Memphis] Cop Caught Having Sex in Squad Car

http://www.myfoxmemp...ar-rpt-20120316

Edited by QuietDan

I like the fact that we hcp holders can carry a long gun as long as a round is not chambered, but if a cop pulled you over that wanted to cause you trouble, all he has to do is jack one into the chamber and say thats the way he found it. I respect the police and think we need a lot more of them but I guess I have trained myself not to trust anybody.

Guest jkintn

Maybe the cop should move to CA where they require loaded chamber indicators and magazine disconnects to protect himself and those he is serving.

Guest JeremyD901

The worst part of this was the rookie cop the one I handed my permit and license to was way more professional. The guy that tried to pull my door off and didn't clear the weapons and claiming I was breaking the law was the f.t.o which means field training officer. Let me ask this I'm sure I know the answer but the cop told me I could only carry the gun I qaulified with. I'm pretty sure this isn't true considering we have to right to carry more then one handgun.

The worst part of this was the rookie cop the one I handed my permit and license to was way more professional. The guy that tried to pull my door off and didn't clear the weapons and claiming I was breaking the law was the f.t.o which means field training officer. Let me ask this I'm sure I know the answer but the cop told me I could only carry the gun I qaulified with. I'm pretty sure this isn't true considering we have to right to carry more then one handgun.

That was the law....over two decades ago. You carry anything you dang well please.

• Like 1

Let me ask this I'm sure I know the answer but the cop told me I could only carry the gun I qaulified with. I'm pretty sure this isn't true considering we have to right to carry more then one handgun.

I would understand if they didn't know some obscure law about walking a pig down main street on the 4th of July, but they should know firearms laws.

Unacceptable.

• Like 2

It's completely understandable that they don't know firearms laws. A majority of them aren't gun people like we are. It is not their hobby. Getting them to shoot their weapons for more than qualifications can be a challenge.

Think of how much BS is spilled at gun shops by both the FFL and the customers. It's even worse with the NFA side. You even see it on here to a lesser degree....."Well I heard....I thought......it's my understanding that....".

Jeremy, don't take this the wrong way - I promise I'm not being confrontational. Instead of asking online first, search for the answer. I'm not saying to be a legal beagle like Patrick Stegall, but I guarantee Google will give you your answer. The information is out there.

I like the fact that we hcp holders can carry a long gun as long as a round is not chambered, but if a cop pulled you over that wanted to cause you trouble, all he has to do is jack one into the chamber and say thats the way he found it. I respect the police and think we need a lot more of them but I guess I have trained myself not to trust anybody.

They'd have to prove you intended to carry with a round in the chamber. Thankfully it's an intent law...

In my case when I carry a loaded AR in the car, the bolt is back and the dust cover is up, so it would be very easy to explain how an officer unfamiliar with my firearm ended up finding a round in the chamber.

• Like 1

It's completely understandable that they don't know firearms laws. A majority of them aren't gun people like we are. It is not their hobby. Getting them to shoot their weapons for more than qualifications can be a challenge.

Think of how much BS is spilled at gun shops by both the FFL and the customers. It's even worse with the NFA side. You even see it on here to a lesser degree....."Well I heard....I thought......it's my understanding that....".

It is not understandable.

So if they don't use drugs is it understandable if they don't know the drug laws?

I understand that they are not all gun guys.

It's not like that LEO was asked the difference between 5.56 and .223 or if the first M16 was made by Mattel or if Hipoints are good to go or 9mm vs .45 etc...

Law Enforcement Officers should know the Law, it is after all their job....right?

I know these laws, not because I'm a gun guy, but because I don't want to break them.

How can someone enforce the law if they are ignorant of it?

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1

IMO, it is impossible to know all the laws. I would wager you don't know everything about your job either.

I'm not talking about the differences in .223 or 5.56. I'm talking about gun people not knowing the basic laws regarding firearms. You know, silencers are illegal, you have to use a FFL for everything, you can only have a certain amount of ammunition, etc, etc. all the typical BS we see on forum and hear in gun stores.

These two obviously have been misinformed. Now they know better. Hopefully they can apply themselves and their knowledge better in the future and/or they can tell their fellow officers. I think we all learn best from our mistakes.

IMO, it is impossible to know all the laws.

I would understand if they didn't know some obscure law about walking a pig down main street on the 4th of July...

I would wager you don't know everything about your job either.

I'm expected to.

Edit: I just don't think it's too much to ask for a Law Enforcement Officer to know the current laws.

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1
Guest jkintn

That cop is clueless. You should have asked him to show you where on your HCP it listed the gun you qualified with? How else would he know whether you didn't "qualified" with your Glock or something else?

I do think it is a bit crazy that you can qualify with a .22 yet carry anything you want. When I took my course there was a lady who had never fired a gun trying to qualify with a 9mm she borrowed from someone. She was not very accurate so one of the instructors handed her a .22 so she could pass the range portion of the course. Of course, I also think it is a little crazy that the range qualification requires shooting at something like 45'. I'm quite sure if you shot someone at that distance, you'd have a tough time with your defense regardless of your lawyer.

Edited by jkintn

Very interesting thread.

I too find it shocking that an officer would not clear a weapon he just took (from a person carrying it lawfully) it seems to me that it would be one of the first things to do.

It should not surprise anyone that every contact with an LEO can go many ways. Once I had pulled over to help a woman with car trouble (that fact she was looking good had nothing to do with it) and as I was looking under the hood (of the car not the woman) an Officer pulled up. I informed him I had an HCP and was armed and he just said "cool". He did not ask to see my HCP or pistol.

Guest 270win

In Memphis you are lucky to have any government employee or politician pronounce 'ask' as 'ask' instead of 'acts'. Watch the news here for about a week and you will see what runs Memphis and will know what I'm talking about. It trickles down to what is on the street. So no I'm not surprised that you had an MPD pop the mag out but not clear the chamber and hassle you over your AR.

First, you are over reacting about the truck door. Unless he was 8 foot tall, green and could only speak in grunts, he isn't strong enough to "rip the door off the hinges."

Secondly, you obviously broke the law or looked suspicious. Him treating you like a criminal really doesn't hurt my feelings.

Next time try slowing down or stopping for the stop sign. Lots less problems that way.

*Disclaimer: The above is meant mostly as comedy and partly as fact.

Guest JeremyD901

First off yeah I was speeding I own up to that. Second let me come to your car/truck and show you how you can mess up a door by slamming it open. Personally I wont lose sleep over your feelings thankfully. However you shouldn't just treat everyone as a criminal just because they are not a cop. Also just for your enjoyment I didn't get a ticket after being harrassed over breaking gun laws I was not breaking.

Guest JeremyD901

Sorry I didn't see it, I'm using my iPhone to look at the forum. I'm just real irritated with the truck door man he could of easily thrown it out of whack were it wouldnt shut right.

Sorry I didn't see it, I'm using my iPhone to look at the forum. I'm just real irritated with the truck door man he could of easily thrown it out of whack were it wouldnt shut right.

if you are interested in turning off your "Automatic unlock" I can help. if you have the managment options buttons on the left side of the instrument panel, you can easily turn it off. let me know if you want more info

Can you imagine the trouble if doofus shot and killed himself with your handgun while you're standing on the side of the road? There is no reason for an officer to disarm a HCP permit holder unless they're being arrested... It's safer for everybody involved that officers not handle firearms they're not trained to handle. The sooner we can get rid of that silly disarm law the better.

As I read this thread I think it a good place to get the answer to a question I had and never asks,I should have ask when I took my HCP test over four years ago . If stoped for speeding ,not stopping for stop sign or for what ever, can the officer take my handgun without just cause, meaning fear for his safety or under what conditions is he justfied to do so. This may have been answered many time before, sorry if so, but it good for me to know .

Guest Torrin

As I read this thread I think it a good place to get the answer to a question I had and never asks,I should have ask when I took my HCP test over four years ago . If stoped for speeding ,not stopping for stop sign or for what ever, can the officer take my handgun without just cause, meaning fear for his safety or under what conditions is he justfied to do so. This may have been answered many time before, sorry if so, but it good for me to know .

They can take you handgun and unload it, holding it until the end of the engagement, but they cannot impound your weapon if you are legally carrying.

Here is the actually text of the law...

39-17-1351(t)

Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or municipality may, within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual or individuals. The officer shall return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the permit holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other individual or individuals provided that the permit holder has not violated any provision of this section and provided the permit holder has not committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the permit holder.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Here is the actually text of the law...

39-17-1351(t)

Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or municipality may, within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual or individuals....

http://www.lexisnexi...ttopics/tncode/

I've never had an officer disarm me during a stop, as I try to not give them a reason to feel it is needed. Many of them haven't handled weapons different than those they trained with.