What 22 target rifle

JeffsSig

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pretty hard to beat the 10/22 as a platform to build a target gun. Out of the box accuracy for standard model is nothing to write home about, but you can build a tack-driver in your budget. Personally, I would start with the stainless target model, and tweak from there.

If you were asking about a bolt gun, the CZ 452 and heavy barrel Savages are fantastic out of the box.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Parts and upgrades are plenty and you can customize them to your own taste. You can buy trigger kits, or just twick it yourself with $20 worth of parts. Buy all kinds of barrels and stocks... I put a hogue stock, green mountain barrel and did the valquertsen trigger parts on it myself and it shoots beautifully. Thinking of switching the barrel and stock and going super lightwight.

While you can certainly build a very nice 10/22 rifle for about $700, it will still not be in the same territory for accuracy as a $300 bolt gun. I think that you need to figure out exactly what you want to do, then find the best rifle for that purpose within your budget. If you are looking for a match rifle, that's one thing. An accurate10/22 is another.

BTW, if you are looking into a really nice 10/22, you will find out that it has very few Ruger parts in it, including the receiver.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

the sportsmans warehouse here in chattanooga carries a tactical solutions built 10-22 for about $600. It is ultra lightweight, mostly aluminum and plastic except where it matters, and we have been extremely pleased with the accuracy and quality. You can buy the parts to build this online but I have not seen the built and fitted ones anywhere else. The problem with this gun is it is a lot more ammo picky than most; its built tight and it shows. Once you find ammo it likes for both function and accuracy, its a winner, and it saves the trouble of fitting it yourself.

Thanks guys.

Let me be a bit more clear.

I do Not want a Bolt gun.

I want the most accurate 22 Semi Auto I can buy or build for around 1000$

This is for nothing but the self pleasure of 50-100yd shots on paper.

Im looking at Clark barrels or Volquartsen after I have done more research.

And it looks like the 10/22 is about the only game in town to build on.

Edited by JeffsSig

Definatly check out RFC before starting a 10/22 build. Everything there is to know can be found there. For that kinda money it will be hard to beat using all KIDD parts. They are considered by most to make the best 10/22 parts. Im doing a 10/22 build currently but more of a budget/superstock build. Brimstone trigger job, Que bolt job, GM barrell, KIDD charging handle spring and guide rod.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

dunno if an AR upper in 22 would be easier to do or not. Probably easier and cost about the same if you do the AR thing.

I could recommend 4 or 5 antique semis that are really good .... mostly old brownings with a tube fed system. I do not even know if anyone makes stuff like that anymore.

The problem is that there is no factory produced "target" semi auto .22s for under a grand that I am aware of. For a bit over a grand you could get a Volquartsen. https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/8-volquartsen-rimfire-rifles,15-complete-firearms

The now discontinued Thompson Center TC55 was reputed to be more accurate out of the box than a 10/22 but was discontinued due to "issues" which I am unaware of.

I have been down the rat hole more than a few times with 10/22 aftermarket and it can be frustrating. I've had at least 10 aftermarket barrels and a host of other accessories including trigger groups, bolts, stocks, etc. Right now I have 5 semi-auto .22s (soon to have a 6th and maybe a 7th) and they all are better than minute of squirrel head at 50 yards. However, if you just want throw on a shooting bag a decent shooting semi-auto .22 and make as small a hole as possible for the money it is hard to beat a 10/22 Target with the Ruger hammer forged barrel. They are heavy though. The newer tapered Sporter barrelled 10/22s are supposedly able to shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yards if the stars are aligned correctly.

If all you want is a very accurate 10/22 and hang the looks just go buy a Walmart 10/22, put in a Volquartsen hammer and send the bolt and barrel to: http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html

One of my favorite semi-autos is the Remington 552. Remington still makes this rifle but in the "expensive" BDL (checkered) version. I have an older ADL version. It will shoot any ammo except Colibras, amazing rifle.

My most accurate semi-auto is a 10/22 that has a standard 18.5" barrel rechambered and crowned by Rimfire Technologies as well as a bolt done by RT. However, it probably isn't any more accurate with bulk ammo than is my 10/22 that has been recrowned and threaded by a fella here Clarksville or the 1:9 twist threaded barrelled 10/22 I put together for Aguila 60 grain SSS ammo.

You are going to have to have a properly aligned barrel with a consistent headspace and that may mean having a chamber cut for a specific ammo. In a semi-auto then reliability becomes an issue. Will that bolt headspace precisely every time? Will the barrel need to be floated or will it work better with a pressure pad. What kind of bedding will you want/need.

Again, for the money the 10/22 Targer would be hard to beat. If you wanted a lighter set-up then either a full custom build or simply replace the 10/22 Target barrel with a lighter barrel from Volquartsen, Rimfire Technologies or one of the many other 10/22 barrel builders.

Then there is real accurate:

http://www.6mmbr.com/rimfiretactical.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek089.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek078.html

Yeah, a 10/22 is a fantastic choice. You could spend $600 building on, and you MIGHT get the same accuracy as a $160 Marlin Model 60 tube fed semi auto. It's hard to beat that Marlin micro groove for accuracy. Be warned though that even though Marlin has sold almost 3 times as many model 60s as Ruger has 10/22s there is no aftermarket for the model 60 to speak of. Aside from scope and sling what you see is what you get.

I've had a 10/22 for over 25 years and it's functioning well. I replaced the factory sights with Tech Sights and got a extra Ruger 10 round magazines for it. if I do anything else, I'll replace the trigger group. The stock is easy to glass bed or you can find a large variety of replacement stocks.

A .22 bolt will out shoot an auto every time. If you just want to burn a lot of ammo or hunt, get the 10/22. If you want to hunt and hit 1 MOA at 100 yards, get a bolt. I have a preference for the Winchester Mdl 52. Wish it was still made.

Guest 983mauser

A used remmington Nylon .22 will fit your bill the shoot great. Used

240-300 bucks buy one and build a ruger 10/22 and see which one you like.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk