Quandary... stay with the HK P2000 .40SW or go Glock 19 9mm?

Guest db99wj
Go back to the M&P9.

Good point, you have mentioned you really liked the M&P. What are your thoughts on not including it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Good point, you have mentioned you really liked the M&P. What are your thoughts on not including it?

The M&P is good but Smith and Wesson had quit a few flubs with their freshman year outing on those guns that have kept me from having total confidence in them just yet. Slides locking back prematurely, magazines dropping free at random (reportedly a fixed issue now but I've read varying reports on just how fixed it is) and more than a few instances of the Melonite finish not holding up very well and the gun corroding quite heavily as a result.

Would I own one? YES. I really like them and I want to own the 9-Pro or 9-L once the become available. It will be my next "gamer" gun and the XD Tactical will go on the auction block. But I won't carry one daily again until I see proof with my own eyes that the aforementioned problems are resolved.

Furthermore, I found that the 4" service models were slightly too big for carry and that the 3" compact models were slightly undersized for me to want to shoot them for extended periods of time at the range. The Glock 19/23 and the HK P2000 are the ideal size for me to want to carry and practice with.

If my wife were thinking about carrying the M&P she wants, I'd steer her a different direction also. It's going to be her range toy, so I'm not too worried if jams up or drops a mag since S&W has a lifetime warranty with free shipping to and from. It's just that a carry gun does you no good if it's hosing up or is away at the factory.

• Administrator
Then buy an American made weapon. ;)

I bet you typed that on a PC assembled in America made from parts manufactured in China, Korea and Japan. :)

Glock and HK both have presence in the continental United States. It's hard to buy a product strictly based on geographical point of origin. That said, however, I am still really rooting for S&W to get good traction with the M&P line and get past the nagging little issues that tormented quite a few of the early adopters.

There are times that I miss my M&Ps. I had three of them, you know.

I had 2 M&P's....a 9c and 9 full size...they shot GREAT....when they worked. My compact had consistent Failure to Feeds...and after having it go back to factory it came back with the same problem. I got rid of it. The full size was very pleasant to shoot, but after a broken striker...I wouldn't carry it. I think S&W has learned from their mistakes in the past with their Sigmas and such. They are really trying to make a winner here and they appear to be getting out the bugs. I prefer shooting the M&P over the Glock....the Glock however...has a pretty darn well proven track record. They ain't perfect (sorry Kool-Aid drinkers,) but I think they work great for what their designed for (shoot when needed.) Maybe in a matter of months or a year I'll start lookin at the M&P's again...but for a SELF DEFENSE pistol...Im carrying what I know goes bang every time.

I own and shoot both HK and Glock. I carry a USP-C .40 with LEM and train with it 99% of the time. Maybe you should try converting it to the LEM trigger(instructions @ HKPRO.com) and shooting it for a while before buying another gun. Possibly, you just need a bit more training with the HK. Either one you choose--stick with it and shoot the piss out of it. If you want to shoot a compact with lem to see how you like it, let me know. Don't turn the HK into a boat anchor just yet.

Good luck.:up:

Sounds like you prefer the G19 over the P2000... My only question is whether or not you shoot an M&P better than the Glock, to me it would make more sense to carry a smaller version of the gun you plan to 'game' with. I really don't think that you can really go wrong either way, but having a common platform is really a plus. I'd like to eventually have an XD-9 SubCompact to match my Tactical, set up the same way (trigger, sights, etc) only in a more compact size. (gotta decide on the .357mag revolver I want, first, though...)

The P2000 is a nice pistol, but I think there's no question that something else would be better... again, my only advice is to reconsider an M&P... or maybe even a subcompact XD with a Pierce Mag-Grip extension, for commonality with your Tactical. A good trigger job on your XD would change you mind about wanting an M&P, methinks...

• Administrator
For what it is worth, I have never had a problem with my M&P9.

I never had a problem with my M&P 40 but my 40c dropped mags a lot and the 9c locked back prematurely just about every other magazine put through it. Sometimes more than once per mag. Neither were problems you want to have with a carry gun.

to me it would make more sense to carry a smaller version of the gun you plan to 'game' with. I really don't think that you can really go wrong either way, but having a common platform is really a plus.

+1

unless he eventually plans on gaming with AND carrying the 19.

Edited by deerslayer
+1

Awwww c'mon... that makes too much sense, 'cause then the need to have two separate debates about which would be better for gaming and which would be better for carry wouldn't exist, and we'd all begin to feel un-fulfilled. :P

Awwww c'mon... that makes too much sense, 'cause then the need to have two separate debates about which would be better for gaming and which would be better for carry wouldn't exist, and we'd all begin to feel un-fulfilled. :koolaid:

LOL, true.

• Administrator

The Decision...

After a lot of thought I have decided to retire the HK P2000 and move to the Glock 19. The reasons for this are exactly as I stated previously. To summarize the more important details:

• I shoot better with the Glock than I do the HK
    • I am more accurate with it
    • My follow-up shots are faster and more precise
    • The trigger reset on the Glock is more to my taste

[*]I can afford to practice more often with the 9mm than .40SW

[*]Glock mags, holsters, etc. are plentiful

[*]Glock armorers are plentiful

• I just so happen to own a Glock armorers course DVD

The HK is a fantastic weapon. It's also not for me. That's the beauty of there being so many different makes and models to choose from; you don't have to stick with just one platform that may not be right for you. I gave the HK a year and improved with it quite a bit, but at the end of the day it just wasn't the firearm for me. Your mileage might vary.

I don't have the Glock yet but will be picking one up soon.

Commence flaming me. :D

Guest EasilyObsessed

For what its worth...my M&P 9 has been perfect over several months now. Didnt even jam on my mother or sister when they shot it and I can assure you they did not have a good grip on it. No problems with magazines dropping free either :D

Irregardless, good luck with the G19. :D;)

• Administrator
For what its worth...my M&P 9 has been perfect over several months now. Didnt even jam on my mother or sister when they shot it and I can assure you they did not have a good grip on it. No problems with magazines dropping free either :D

Irregardless, good luck with the G19. :D;)

I congratulate you on having a good M&P. We'll own another one soon; I just don't anticipate carrying it.

+1

What kind of idiot would do that?

...One of these days, I *will* talk you into a 34... MUUUUAAAAaaa HA HA Hahaaahaa

Aren't you tired of "8 and a failure... Four... and 10 and a failure" every time we score your run on a 30+ yard stage? :D

(This is coming from the guy who was 50 points down on the standards at the Arkansas match, so I should probably shut up)...