Looking for .22LR semi auto

jacob

Looking around for a plinker and something to get my kids intro'd into pistols without freaking them out on a heavier caliber gun. I've looked at the Sig Mosquito and the Ruger SR22. Reviews seem to be ok, but looking for any others on the forum that may have personal experience with these guns. From what I've read, the Sig can be a little picky on ammo on initial break-in, only using CCI ammo per the manufacturers recommendation. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Get a m&p 22 you won't look back. I picked one up a couple weeks ago and it is awesome. A friend got one the same day and is now selling his walther p22. I used bulk blazer and wally world federal and about 500 rounds between the 2 with no hiccups.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better pistol and a older Ruger MkII or a new MKIII. They are virtually bomb proof and will last forever. They are very accurate as well and there are all kinds of upgradable parts available for them. They come in blue or stainless, with regular barrels or bull barrels, fixed or adjustable sights and lengths from 4" to something like 8". The grip is nice for small hands and it's comfortable. Great pistol to learn on, imo. I've taught my son and one of my daughters to shoot with them.

• Like 1

I have a Ruger SR22 and it's fed everything I've put in the mag to shoot though it. Stuff like CB longs will feed and shoot just fine, they just won't cycle the action to eject. Standard and Hi velocity round's all run through it and its a breeze to tear down, clean and put back together again. It's also very reasonably priced as well. The rear sight is adjustable and the DA/SA trigger is pretty good, I'm afraid that if my wife ever shoot's it then she'll claim it.

i agree with TNWNGR i own a MkIII 22/45 and a SR22 i love the fact that ruger pistols will run the cheap bulk ammo, the 22/45 is im sure a bit more accurate but i dont shoot at distances with pistols that i can honestly tell a big difference, but i honestly like the SR22 a bit better .. just a small fun gun thats easy to break down and clean and will run like a champ on the cheap ammo, to me a .22 pistol is all about having tons of fun on the cheap so having a gun that runs nothing but CCI mini-mags kinda halfway defeats that purpose... and yes my wife shot it and claimed it lol

Edited by JoeJ615

the SR 22 is probably perfect for a kid. The trigger to grip distance is very short for small hands. They seem to be of great quality. Not a fan of the sig, they are picky and quirky. The mark is a better target pistol but may not fit small hands well, and may be a little heavy for them as well.

I'd go with a Ruger MK II or MK III. Best rimfire pistol out there at the price. If you prefer a revolver, you could look at a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six. My nephew shoots a Walther P22 that his dad got for him and they both like shooting it. I don't have any experience with the SR22, but if Ruger makes it, it's likely a good gun.

If you look for a rifle, just get the Ruger 10/22 and be done with it. Best value going out there if you ask me and there are plenty of aftermarket parts available.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

The ages of your children might give us a better idea of what might be best. A 15 year old is leaps and bounds, as far as safety goes, than say a 7 year old.

I picked up a Cricket Chipmunk pistol yesterday. Took it to the range today and I must say this is one accurate little pistol. I bought it for myself to have is threaded for my suppresso but I am having second thoughts after seeing how accurate it is. I might have to pick up another to use as my suppressor gun.

I also think it would be safer for children than a semi auto. It is simple to operate and because you have to cock it every time you shot it the gun is inherently safe or at least more safe than a semi.

Younger kids may not have the attention span or discipline to keep a gun pointed down range, especially if they get excited. Having a semi auto with 5 more rounds being waved around is a lot more dangerous than a single shot that has already been fired.

Do they shoot rifles or have their own rifles? If not I would consider a rifle a first gun more so than a pistol.

If you must have a semi auto pistol I would get a Ruger MK series pistol. I called Sig and the engineer said the lifespan of their Mosquito is 10K-15K rounds if you do perfect maintenance. The Ruger engineer couldn't tell me a lifespan only saying it will last forever so for me I passed on it as well. Forget about the junk P22's as well as most other pot metal guns if durability is your concern. That is why Ruger MK guns are the top choice, they are 100% steel (except for the new aluminum one) and will last a few lifetimes. Even the new aluminum one would be a great choice because it will be lighter making it easier for weaker hands to hold during those long range sessions.

I shoot a lot so that is why the lifespan is important to me. A gun that will only last 15K rounds will be junk inside of 6 months for me. Anytime I decide to shoot I go through a brick and that is at least twice a week. And I have a home range so I shoot something almost every day.

Dolomite

I have an SR22P. Love this little .22! 400 rounds down the pipe with zero problems. Mostly 35 year old ammo. Bought it for cheap technique practice and just plinking. This is a very accurate fun gun.

my oldest is 15 and youngest is 11. they have both shot the 10/22 rifle that i have for them and both like it. i can feel them eyeballing my .40 wanting to shoot it, but can tell they are a little squeamish when it comes to actually putting it in their hand and shooting it...just basically looking for something they can shoot and get a comfortable feeling but not lose the respect for firearm safety in general...i have a friend who has a MKIII and have shot the pistol...seems to be a great gun...just spotted these also and was looking for some info on them...

they should be old enough to try a target pistol then. I recommend that, as they can refine their marksmanship with such a gun and get much more out of it than just a trainer for using a 9mm at 5 feet. A mark III, buckmark, or s&w 22a would last them for decades and if they outgrow such a gun, it will be because they have become very excellent marksmen and worthy of a big money target gun (and hopefully old enough to buy it themselves!). The SR 22 will be forgotten by the time they are 20. A mark III may well still be a favorite when they retire!

I have a Pre Mark I Ruger that works fine and it is dated around 1958. I also have a 22/45 and HiPower's old AMT Lightning (Ruger MKII clone). I have had both the P22 and Mosquito. I have handled a couple of the new Ruger SR22s and just about every sub 700.00 .22 pistol or revolver made in the last 20 years. The Buckmark is OK, but Ruger MK series has such an aftermarket it is hard to compete with the Ruger. The only reasonably priced standard sized semi auto .22 pistols that I like to shoot are the Rugers and older S&W 422s. I see similarities between the P22, ISSC M22 and the S&W M&P 22. All three of these pistols work, but I wouldn't rate them in the same tier as the Ruger MK or the Buckmark in terms of durability, reliability or accuracy. However, those three similar pistols rank way up there in fun.

The SR22 is the fun winner in my book. I also have a Ruger MKI, two MKIII 22/45s and an S&W 22A. All of them are more accurate at longer distances than the SR22, partly because they all have longer barrels, but the smaller SR22 is just a lot of fun. It is lighter and easier to handle than the others that I mentioned, but you can't go wrong with any of them. They are all reliable and eat any ammo that you feed them.

Guest fastbilly1

i have a ruger 22/45 and really like shooting it. fun to shoot and cheap ammo. it is a PITA to break down and clean compared to most other pistols than i own.

to the OP, if you know someone that has a 22 pistol, see if they will let your sons shoot their pistol and see if they like it. no money spent and merely a favor owed to a friend.

I can take apart a MK Ruger in less than 20 seconds. I can put it back together in less than 30 seconds. It is just a matter of doing it a few times.

I consider myself a very knowledgeable 1911 guy and I would rather take apart a Ruger MK than a 1911 any day of the week.

The MKIII with the magazine disconnect makes it a PITA but on guns without it it is pretty simple.

Dolomite

Guest foister82

I had the mosquito for a while. Heavy trigger with alot of travel which seemed a detriment for training...and it only liked mini mag and stinger ammo... no good with fed, Remington, blazer bulk... sweet looking gun though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5