Buying first handgun final questions...

zmtd8

Or more your all's opinion. I went and looked at handguns the other day and have narrowed it down to the Springfield XD 9mm and 40 or the Kahr 9mm or the Smith and Wesson 40. So any final opinions would be greatly appreciated. Barring any unforeseen circumstances I will be picking up one of these four tomorrow. I really liked the Springfield 9mm and the Smith and Wesson 40.

Thanks,

Tyler

Or more your all's opinion. I went and looked at handguns the other day and have narrowed it down to the Springfield XD 9mm and 40 or the Kahr 9mm or the Smith and Wesson 40. So any final opinions would be greatly appreciated. Barring any unforeseen circumstances I will be picking up one of these four tomorrow. I really liked the Springfield 9mm and the Smith and Wesson 40.

Thanks,

Tyler

9mm: Greater capacity, cheaper, international ammo suppliers, less recoil. And yes, it's "plenty".

- OS

There will be people saying that the .40 can do "this" as the 9mm can't. Ehh...maybe, but in normal SD situations a 9mm is fine. Ammo for the 9mm is cheaper and definatly more available as of right now. I also like the Springfield vs. the S&W because of the triggers on the XD's seem smoother and lighter.....though opinions vary.

In other words, you can't really go wrong with either so get the one that fits your hands the best.

There will be people saying that the .40 can do "this" as the 9mm can't. Ehh...maybe, but in normal SD situations a 9mm is fine. Ammo for the 9mm is cheaper and definatly more available as of right now. I also like the Springfield vs. the S&W because of the triggers on the XD's seem smoother and lighter.....though opinions vary.

In other words, you can't really go wrong with either so get the one that fits your hands the best.

This.

Guest Victor9er

I have both a 9mm and a .40 and I like them both. I have to agree with what everyone else has said. But if you want a suggestion from me I'd pick the S&W, simply because if you're going to buy from an American company at least buy one that's actually made in America. But hey, that's just me and this is coming from someone who owns two Glocks :lol:

The most important thing is to get what feels best to you, and the one that meets all of your requirements. What I did was I made a list of what I wanted in a gun, my most important requirements. Then I chose the gun that met all of those. There's nothing wrong with the XD's, I hear they're great guns. The S&W M&P's are equally good, and they are made in America if that's important to you. Flip a coin if you have to, you can't go wrong with either one.

Or more your all's opinion.

The XD is not a Springfield; it is imported by Springfield from HS Produkt in Croatia. I don’t know if that matters to you; it does to me.

I own both M&P’s and a Kahr. The application for my Kahr is a Micro 40; that was missing in the S&W product line until a few weeks ago with the release of the M&P Shield. Nothing wrong with a Kahr but my Kahr (MK40) cost a lot more than my M&P’s. Just depends on your application.

I haven’t owned a 9mm SD gun in 20 years, but I read on the internet the other day that the 9mm’s of today are as powerful as a .357 Mag. :rofl:

9 or 40 are both good SD rounds; 9 is cheaper to shoot.

Edited by DaveTN

The XD is not a Springfield; it is imported by Springfield from HS Produkt in Croatia. I don’t know if that matters to you; it does to me.

I own both M&P’s and a Kahr. The application for my Kahr is a Micro 40; that was missing in the S&W product line until a few weeks ago with the release of the M&P Shield. Nothing wrong with a Kahr but my Kahr (MK40) cost a lot more than my M&P’s. Just depends on your application.

I haven’t owned a 9mm SD gun in 20 years, but I read on the internet the other day that the 9mm’s of today are as powerful as a .357 Mag. :rofl:

9 or 40 are both good SD rounds; 9 is cheaper to shoot.

Sure... a 9mm is as powerful as a .357, and you don't have to put up with all the noise and recoil. I tried to add a smiley there, but the editor in this software REALLY blows.

I've seen all the jelly pictures. I still like something with more power than a 9mm, even if it is only a bigger bang (and bigger hole).

I can't vouch for the Springfield but the warrenty and customer service at smith & wesson is first rate. You should go with what you feel comfortable with. Try some different brands, models and calibers at a firing range that rents.