Why not OC?

Guest Springfield1911guy

Guest Springfield1911guy

Hi folks.

I was just wondering why I've never seen anyone in Tennessee (or, at least my area) carrying openly. It's legal here right?

I have only lived here for 3 years now and, one of the first things I did when I had 30 days required to be a legal resident was, get my HCP. The man who gave the class I went to strongly advised not to OC. It sounded like he was saying...don't use your right so you don't lose your right. He told us about someone in Nashville who was so hassled by the police that, it was better not to do it.

I come from a communist state in New England where, people would give anything to be able to carry openly (or carry at all) if they could so, I'm left scratching my head.

I just want to say that, I love Tennessee! I wish I had been born here. I feel like such a free man when I carry. Like someone who can actually practice his 2ND Amendment right instead of just reading about how we used to be able to. Thank you Tennessee!

Edited by Springfield1911guy

Folks like me don't like to OC because of the attention that it brings. There are some that aren't bothered by the attention and some that look at it as an opportunity to educate the non-carrying public. There's nothing wrong with that and I don't think that it puts our privilege to carry in jeopardy, with the exception of those that do incredibly stupid or intentionally inflammatory things while OCing, such as strapping an AK pistol to themselves to go shopping or OCing a hand cannon into the local Chuck E Cheese.

I've only seen a few people OC around here. Perhaps its because I'm not that observant or perhaps folks don't want the attention, especially in densely populated parts of the state. I hear that you see it more in the smaller communities, and that makes sense to me. I don't think it's something you see in the city a lot.

Edited by TMF 18B

I open carry pretty often, but it really depends on where I am. I live in a rural community, and open carry is pretty normal around my area. Now if I was in the middle of Nashville, I probably wouldn't open carry a .44 magnum, but I wouldn't have an issue if my Taurus popped out from under my shirt.

I've been transplanted here from a state (Kansas) where open carry is more or less the norm. In fact, the only time a permit is required for handgun carry in Kansas is if you intend to deliberately carry concealed. As I've mentioned elsewhere in these forums, I was carrying a .22 revolver on my hip (for the purposes of running a trap line) before I was old enough to have a driver's license. Consequently, I'm so comfortable with OC and it's so much a part of me that even a LEO I was talking to not long ago admitted that he had to "look twice" to notice I was carrying when the subject turned in that direction.

By the same token, given what I do for a living, I go unarmed much more often than not, but I think maybe the key is that I don't act any differently with a pistol on my hip than I do when all I'm carrying is a penknife in my pocket.

I'll agree with our esteemed TMF 18B that OC is probably more prevalent in smaller communities than larger cities and the same can be said for my home state. (More permits for concealed carry are issued for the four largest cities than for the entire rest of the state.)

There are good arguments for both CC and OC and, all in all, I think it simply boils down to what you, personally, feel most comfortable with.

Welcome to Tennessee!

:hat:

Guest oxfordgt

I always OC. Clarksville TN is getting pretty bad with crime to include shootings and kidnappings and I see it as a warning sign to criminals not to do anything while I'm in the area. There are alot of people that OC here. If every law bidding citizen would open carry crime would nose dive. If I were to ever get an uncomfortable look from anyone I would remove myself from around them, but that has not happened yet.

I've been living in Clarksville for almost 10 years and have noticed that most of the violent crime is specific to a certain lifestyle and area. That is to say that the victims of these crime are usually engaged in some sort of criminal activity/lifestyle or their attacker was someone they knew (domestics). The random stuff is not common. The recent killing of that Soldier by those punks was the first I've heard in a long time of a random killing.

The areas I'd be likely to use my weapon in self defense are places I never go and have no reason to go.

• Like 1

I OC all around Stewart County and in Clarksville. If I am in a very crowded area or event I CC if I feel I may not be able to keep an eye on everyone. I also CC if I know both my hands will be needed for whatever endever I am engaged in.

Why would you want to carry openly? Maybe 99 people would be okay with it, but the one person who freaks out and calls the police could put you in an awkward situation. Who knows what this person is going to tell the police? Who knows what the responding officer has had to deal with immediately before hand? Who needs the hassle of explaining open carry under these situations? And why would you want to lose the element of tactical surprise if you ever need to draw your weapon?

If there is a bad guy around, I want the full advantage of surprise. OC is a bit like playing poker with all your cards face up. Yeah, you may still win, but why not tip the odds in your favor? I prefer deep concealment. In a small rural area, it might be different, but I live in Nashville.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

If there is a bad guy around, I want the full advantage of surprise. OC is a bit like playing poker with all your cards face up.

The full "advantage of surprise" comes in doing the unexpected, like standing your ground when you oughtta' be runnin' like a striped assed ape. Or charging a perceived threat instead of running from it. Of course either may get you killed, but so may digging for a gun in deep concealment. (Unless you've got a sleeve hideout, you're invariably going to telegraph what you're doing and when you telegraph what you're doing, it's really not much of a surprise.)

And the poker analogy is a cute one, but not entirely accurate. Again the "advantage of surprise" comes in doing the unexpected, not in hiding a gun you're going to have trouble getting to without telegraphing your intentions.

Oh yeah... Glocks suck :pleased:

No, Glocks blow, Hoovers suck. Heck, for that matter I'm not entirely sure whether gravity works or the earth sucks! :shrug:

I hate my 1911's.

That's okay, we hate your 1911's, too! :P

Edited by Timestepper

The full "advantage of surprise" comes in doing the unexpected, like standing your ground when you oughtta' be runnin' like a striped assed ape. Or charging a perceived threat instead of running from it. Of course either may get you killed, but so may digging for a gun in deep concealment. (Unless you've got a sleeve hideout, you're invariably going to telegraph what you're doing and when you telegraph what you're doing, it's really not much of a surprise.)

And the poker analogy is a cute one, but not entirely accurate. Again the "advantage of surprise" comes in doing the unexpected, not in hiding a gun you're going to have trouble getting to without telegraphing your intentions.

No, Glocks blow, Hoovers suck. Heck, for that matter I'm not entirely sure whether gravity works or the earth sucks! :shrug:

Reminds me of the priest from Hot Fuzz with the sleeve pistols.

hot-fuzz-pic-1-701215.jpg

Not quite the picture I was looking for but still funny.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Reminds me of the priest from Hot Fuzz with the sleeve pistols.

And that reminds me of a fancy drink some broad convinced me to try one night - I'm not sure what all it had in it, but it was something about hairy nipples, fuzzy butts and Hot Damn. I thought at first that it was some kind of "snakebite medicine," but by the time I'd had enough to make me want to bite a snake, I was too damned lubricated to find one! :drunk:

And that reminds me of a fancy drink some broad convinced me to try one night - I'm not sure what all it had in it, but it was something about hairy nipples, fuzzy butts and Hot Damn. I thought at first that it was some kind of "snakebite medicine," but by the time I'd had enough to make me want to bite a snake, I was too damned lubricated to find one! :drunk:

HAH, gotta watch those fancy drinks. Seriously though, hilarious movie.

..... Again the "advantage of surprise" comes in doing the unexpected....

I've always open carried a pistol, but whipped out a knife for the actual dispatching of the baddie. That last look of surprise is just priceless.

Successful defense has always been, "well judge, I was using the least force possible -- I could have shot him ya know!"

- OS

(y'all believe me, right?)

• Like 2

I've always open carried a pistol, but whipped out a knife for the actual dispatching of the baddie. That last look of surprise is just priceless.

Successful defense has always been, "well judge, I was using the least force possible -- I could have shot him ya know!"

- OS

You were better off with the knife, since all you got is 9mm :pleased:

- OS

The last time I tried to knife someone in lieu of shooting them the melee toggle on my controller got stuck. I'll only use the knife option now if I have at least 80% health.

I was using a 3 inch 1911 anyhow and you know those never work.

• Like 1
Guest Springfield1911guy

Here comes another OC V. CC argument. Let the fight begin!

I'm not looking for a fight or argument, just something I was wondering and curious about. Why does that have to lead to a fight?

Edited by Springfield1911guy