Official TGO Recipe Thread

I thought it would be intersting to share our favorite recipes with fellow TGOers. They can be original or stolen from someone else.

I'll start with something easy.

Better Than Real Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:

1 yellow cake mix

2 large cans of sliced peaches

2 or 3 sticks of REAL butter

? brown sugar

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 375°

- Slice 1 or 1 1/2 sticks of butter into several pieces and evenly distribute into bottom of 9x13 cake pan (I prefer glass).

- Pour entire contents of both cans of peaches into pan and evenly distribute peaches.

- Pour DRY cake mix over top of peaches and carefully spread evenly. I've found that a sifter makes it a little easier to distribute cake mix evenly.

- Slice remaining stick(s) of butter into several pieces and evenly distribute on top of dry cake mix.

- Lightly place foil over over pan and bake for about 1 hour.

- Remove foil and lightly sprinkle (again, I find a sifter to be a little easier) brown sugar on top of cobbler.

- Place back into preheated oven (uncovered) for 5 or 10 minutes untill brown sugar is slightly melted/mixed with liquid on top of cobbler. Do not leave in too long or brown sugar will burn.

I usually allow to cool for several hours or until following day.

You can play with the amount of butter. I've found that most people prefer the added richness from using 3 sticks of butter.

This is super easy, and is always a hit with the guests.

This one was made by my daughter, but it should give you a general idea of what it should look like.

54636837001644763169627.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pesto Cheesy Chicken

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
  • 1 cup prepared basil pesto
  • 4 thick slices mozzarella cheese

• cooking spray

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pesto sauce onto each flattened chicken breast. Place one slice of cheese over the pesto. Roll up tightly, and secure with toothpicks. Place in a lightly greased baking dish.
  3. Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is nicely browned and juices run clear.

Pesto Cheesy Chicken

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
  • 1 cup prepared basil pesto
  • 4 thick slices mozzarella cheese

• cooking spray

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pesto sauce onto each flattened chicken breast. Place one slice of cheese over the pesto. Roll up tightly, and secure with toothpicks. Place in a lightly greased baking dish.
  3. Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is nicely browned and juices run clear.

Is there supposed to be an ingredient between the cheese and cooking spray?

I thought it would be intersting to share our favorite recipes with fellow TGOers. They can be original or stolen from someone else.

I'll start with something easy.

Better Than Real Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:

1 yellow cake mix

2 large cans of sliced peaches

2 or 3 sticks of REAL butter

? brown sugar

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 375°

- Slice 1 or 1 1/2 sticks of butter into several pieces and evenly distribute into bottom of 9x13 cake pan (I prefer glass).

- Pour entire contents of both cans of peaches into pan and evenly distribute peaches.

- Pour DRY cake mix over top of peaches and carefully spread evenly. I've found that a sifter makes it a little easier to distribute cake mix evenly.

- Slice remaining stick(s) of butter into several pieces and evenly distribute on top of dry cake mix.

- Lightly place foil over over pan and bake for about 1 hour.

- Remove foil and lightly sprinkle (again, I find a sifter to be a little easier) brown sugar on top of cobbler.

- Place back into preheated oven (uncovered) for 5 or 10 minutes untill brown sugar is slightly melted/mixed with liquid on top of cobbler. Do not leave in too long or brown sugar will burn.

I usually allow to cool for several hours or until following day.

You can play with the amount of butter. I've found that most people prefer the added richness from using 3 sticks of butter.

This is super easy, and is always a hit with the guests.

This one was made by my daughter, but it should give you a general idea of what it should look like.

54636837001644763169627.jpg

We used to do this on boy scout campouts in dutch ovens. It was always a hit, especially with the newer scouts.

Edited by DaddyO

I gotta get my wife to make another peach cobbler soon. Been too long!

Anyways, I have several I could share but probably one I'm most known for in my family is my steaks.

While I can't really tell you how to pick out a good cut I'm sure there's lots of stuff on google that will show you how. I tend to stick to ribeye's and NY strip only. Take the steaks and wash them off under cold water. Place them in a bowl and cover with worcestershire sauce; this can take quite a bit so get a big bottle or bulk buy. Refrigerate for 30mins - 1 hr. Remove steaks from their worcestershire bath and place them on a cookie sheet or other flat object. Rub a liberal amount of this stuff http://www.amazon.com/KC-Masterpiece-Seasoning-6-Ounce-Shakers/dp/B000EDG0D4 on all sides. Put steaks on hot grill (500-600 degrees) and reduce heat to medium/medium low (300-400 degrees). Cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes. I usually split this up rotating the steaks 90 degrees at the 2-3 minute mark to make those nice diamond grill marks.

Now you can grill them shorter if you like them a little less done but here's where the worcestershire bath pays off. I usually like my steaks medium to medium well but I can cook them a full 10 minutes or slightly longer and they are still just as tender and tasty as a medium steak.

Remove steaks from grill and place a plate and cover with foil. Allow steaks to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. This is the most difficult 10 minutes you've had to wait in your life! Busy yourself by whipping together a little compound butter to top the steak with. Start with about a half stick of REAL butter and zest a lime into. Now squeeze about half of the lime juice in and blend together with a fork. Use a melon baller or teaspoon to make small round portions to top your steak with just before serving.

Don't forget the cold beer! A good Mexican variety or a Belgian goes well with this recipe. I would suggest Victoria(mexican) or Palm(belgian).

Enjoy!

Chicken on a Can

Ingredients:

1 dead and plucked chicken

1 12 pack of your favorite beer

salt

pepper

Directions:

Preheat grill to 350-375.

Salt and pepper chicken well,

Open 1 beer and take a big swallow.

Shove beer, upright, into rear orifice of bird, and place both onto grill so that chicken sets upright on beer.

Close grill.

When you finish off the other 11 beers, your chicken is ready.

Don't forget to turn off grill!!!

Homemade red wine

12 cans welches concord grape frozen concentrate

36 cans water

5 lbs sugar

1 packet red wine yeast

If you have a wine making kit then you have all the equipment you need.

Mix all wine and water in bucket,

Add sugar

Stir until sugar dissolved,

Add 2 to 4 oz of water in cup

Put in microwave for 20 sec.

Open yeast packet and pour into water, cover with damp paper towel,

wait 20 min.

After 20 min, stir yeast ( probably stinks) a d poor into juice

Add airlock.

After 14 days you have wine. But keep air lock full and in about 30 to 45 more days it should clear.

If you want a sweet wine then you must "kill" the yeast with potassium sorbate.

Sweeten to taste and enjoy.

Bottle in wine bottles or mason jars so it keeps better.

Homemade Cajun seasoning.

2 tablespoon garlic powder

2 tablespoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

2 tablespoon black pepper

3 tablespoon dries sweet basil leaves

1 tablespoon slat ( optional, I don't use it)

1 tablespoon dries oregano leaves

1 tablespoon white pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder.

Mix all ingredients( put in blender to finely ground up larger stuff)

Put in container preferably with sprinkle top

Good on everything.

MILWAUKEE BEER BRATS ( for 6)

6 brats (I prefer Johnsonville)

1 greenpepper

1/2 large onion

4 beers (no light beer dammit, we're cooking)

1. Chop up greenpepper and onion and throw all ingredients in a pot. Simmer for 30-45 min.

2. Remove brats and brown them on the grill.

3. Remove from grill, poke the brats full of holes with a fork, and throw them back in the "soup."

4. Simmer for at least 30-45 min (however, longer is better).

5. Enjoy!

I eat them on a bun, draped in the greenpepper and onion, with ketchup.

Ja Wohl! That's a "real" Brat...

Edited by TN-popo

Pull Apart Coffee Cake

12-16 frozen yeast rolls

1 cup brown sugar

1 stick of butter

1 pk of cook and serve butter scotch pudding

Some nuts if desired

Cinnamon

In a lightly greased bundt cake pan, sprinkle the desired amount of chopped nuts of choice (I usually use pecans). Then disperse frozen rolls around pan. Sprinkle the pudding powder over rolls. You must use the "cook and serve" variety, then instant pudding mix will not work. In a sauce pan, melt the stick of butter and cup of brown sugar. Once mixed together, pour evenly over the contents of the pan. Then add however much cinnamon you think will suit your taste.

Cover lightly with a towel or such and allow to rise on the counter top over night. Depending on how many rolls used, it may rise out of pan. If this happens, push them back flush with the top of the pan. Cover lightly with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. When done, invert the pan onto a shallow dish as there will be juices that run out. It may help to loosen from the side of the pan prior to inversion.

Party Dips

Quick Chili Dip

Campbell's Firehouse Chili 2x cans (or favorite canned chili for speed or if you have time make your own chili)

16oz of Phili Creamcheese

1lb medium shred cheddar cheese (or favorite cheese)

Spread all cream cheese evenly across bottom of 13"x9" pyrex glass pan

Put cans of chili in microwave safe bowl and nuke until hot

Pour chili over cream cheese

Pile on the shredded cheddar

Put in oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted

Grab bag of Fritos scoops or tortilla chips and enjoy

Bagel Dip

Jar of Old English Cheese

8oz Cream Cheese

Garlic Powder

Onion Salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl add onion salt and garlic powder to taste

Cut up bagels of choice (I like plain or everything bagels)

Dip bagels in and enjoy

Both dips are favorites at parties and gatherings.

Something that help me loose 20+ pounds in a little over a month. My quick and easy chili recipe.

1 large tomato

1/2 onion

3.5 ounces of meat cubed

1/2 cup of water

Chili powder

Dice the tomato and onion. Cook them in a small sauce pan. Add water as needed to keep from burning. Cook down to a slurry then add the rest of the water. Once it begins to boil again remove from the heat then add the meat and stir The sauce will be hot enough to cook the meat without making it tough.

Season with chili powder, a dash of garlic or whatever you want to your taste

I normally pour it over a few pieces of toast.

Dolomite

Guest bkelm18

Ol' Marswolf posted a recipe for Mountain Pie many many moons ago. It is very good. Especially served warm with a nice big scoop of ice cream.

Mountain Pie

Ingredients

1/3 c Butter Or Margarine

1 c Flour

1/2 t Salt

1 c Sugar

1 t Baking Powder

3/4 c Milk

2 c Sweetened Fruit With Juice

[Note: Delicious with either peaches or blackberries. Other fruit works fine too.]

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degres. Melt butter in 2 quart baking dish. In separate bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and milk. Pour on top of melted butter. DO NOT STIR! Add sweetened fruit on top of batter. DO NOT STIR! Recipe will make its own top crust as it cooks.

Cook uncovered 45-60+ minutes. Pie is ready when the top is brown and it had a firm (not hard) texture.

Note: I use 1/2 cup sugar in peaches and 3/4 cup sugar in blackberries and let it sit for a few minutes to draw out the juice

Edited by bkelm18

Deer Roast

1 Medium deer roast cut into serving size pieces

1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 Pack Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix.

Season Salt

Garlic Salt

Soy Sauce

Worchestershire Sauce

1 Medium Onion Sliced

Place raw, washed meat into crock pot. Sprinkle generously with season salt, garlic salt, worchestershire sauce, and soy sauce.

Add oinon soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. Stir, and place sliced onions on top. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Got one in the crock pot now!

Backstrap Stew

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons olive oil (more as needed)

1 1/2 to 2 lbs Venison (the cut of your choice)

3/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon season salt

2 medium onions

3-4 large garlic cloves

14.5 oz can beef broth

8oz can tomato sauce

3 stalks celery

2 good sized potatoes

2 large carrots (or a handful of baby carrots)

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp Thyme

1/4 tsp Marjoram

Preparation:

Cut the veggies into 1" chunks. (Leaving the skin on the potatoes gives it more texture and a more rustic finish.) Put the flour and season salt into a plastic bag. Cut the venison into chunks and shake in the flour. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot. Brown the meat and onion until the onion is soft and translucent. Mince the garlic and add with all of the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for a couple of hours.

Serves well with a good beer, rustic rolls and butter.

And for dessert, my favorite Apple Pie recipe:

Apple Pie

Ingredients:

1 Gallon Apple cider

1 5th Cap'n Morgan spiced rum

1 pint Hot Damn! cinnamon schnapps

1 pint Apple Barrel apple schnapps

1 pinch nutmeg

Preparation:

Combine all liquid ingredients in a 2 gallon crock or stoneware jug, mix well, then add a pinch of nutmeg and cork loosely. May be consumed immediately or aged in a cool, dark place.

Salsa so good you'll eat it with a spoon!

1 med red onion

6 green onions

1 red bell pepper

1 green bell pepper

1 whole bunch of cilantro (rinsed/stems removed)

4 cans fire roasted tomatoes (diced)

2 cans Ro-Tel hot diced tomatoes

1 can black beans (drained/rinsed)

1 can white corn (drained/rinsed)

1/4 cup lime juice X 2

1 tablespoon kosher salt

4 tablespoons minced garlic

1 teasoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 or 2 Haas avocadoes

dice the onion & peppers finely, get as many of the stems out of the cilantro as possible and mince finely

pour tomatoes (don't drain), corn, and beans over and stir

stir in salt, garlic, and add half the lime juice (I also like to add red pepper flakes and/or cayenned, if nobody's looking)

...let that refrigerate overnight, if you can stand to wait...

next day, test to see if you like more salt/pepper/garlic in yours, then dice the avocado and gently shake in a bowl with the remaining lime juice (this keeps the avocado from turning brown) and GENTLY (don't wanna mash the avocado) stir into salsa and it's ready

this makes about a gallon of salsa, which will "keep" about a week in the fridge in theory, but mine never survives 3 days

we eat it on scrambled eggs, in a bowl with a spoon, over grilled chicken breasts, and even with tortilla chips on occassion

Edited by BigK