Has your attitude towards guns changed?

Has your attitude towards guns changed since you began carrying? I have been carrying daily for over 8 years now. In the beginning the gun seemed somehow more important, putting it on was an act of risk that required a lot of thought.

Today I don't consider it much more than a cell phone. And the idea that a gov't somewhere would want to tell me whether and how and when I can carry makes about as much sense as telling me how I can use my cell phone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabbi,

Im with you. I havent been carrying that long, and I do take it seriously but only to the extent to make sure its "safe". I feel as naked without it as I do my cell phone, but its definitely become a part of my daily routine to put it on in the morning much like brushing my teeth. It now surprises me when people look at me strange for carrying and where as before I kinda thought they were normal for being suspicious now I think they are weird for not carrying also.

Guest darkstar

I agree with everything said in this thread. At first I felt kind of, I dunno not self-conscious about it but, but I noticed it I guess. I was aware that I had a gun. Nowadays I feel like that when I don't I have one. It becomes second nature. And I certainly echo the thought of the government telling me whether I can or can't carry.

Guest nosnos

I've only been carrying for 3 months or so. I still have a hard time with anything on my hip. I do carry my pocket pistol all the time, however. I know it's kind of dumb to feel so self-conscious about a decent-sized gun. I just can't shake the feeling the EVERYONE can see it, even though I know nobody is ever looking that closely.

But I have been enjoying the feeling of knowing that I at least have a semi-decent way to defend myself if the need arise. I certainly can't imagine EVER going back to not carrying. It just seems crazy now.

My wife's permit should be here ANY day. They said that it's in the mail and everything. I'm going to feel even better knowing that she is carrying as well. If it would just freakin' get here already!!!

Guest grimel

I guess growing up in rural Tn I have a different thought process. We had guns around all the time (I regularly carried a 2" 22 revolver picking blackberries and taking care of the garden around the time I hit 10 or 11) and used them regularly (city folks seemed to think it was a good idea to drop of ol' Fluffy in the country so he could run free (stupid move Born Free had to be a cause) after they got tire of taking car of Fluffy). Nearly everyone had something in their pocket, glovebox, some place handy. I've always thought it ignorant I had to ask permission to carry a pistol. I mean it's a pistol, it's like a good pocket knife every guy needs one in their pocket.

• Administrator

nosnos ... That feeling takes a while to shake, but the more you carry the more you will realize that most people never even consider that those around them may be armed. Unless you do a horrible job of covering your sidearm, 99.9999999% of the people you encounter each day won't even think to look much less actually notice that you have a firearm concealed.

Eventually you may even find yourself not caring if they do notice. That's where I'm at these days. In Tennessee, it is a handgun carry permit not a concealment permit. If someone notices and I'm in an area where I am legally allowed to carry, it's their problem. Not mine. :hyper:

I really prefer to keep concealed though. I like to make sure my crazy gun totin ways dont make people nervous. I also have this crazy theory that if I was somewhere that got robbed the first person they shot would be the one with the exposed gun...hence why I like to stay concealed.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Im still concious of my handgun when I carry. Mostly...because the places I spend the majority of my time, I am prohibited from carry. :hyper: College campus during the week and state parks most weekends.

• Administrator
I really prefer to keep concealed though. I like to make sure my crazy gun totin ways dont make people nervous. I also have this crazy theory that if I was somewhere that got robbed the first person they shot would be the one with the exposed gun...hence why I like to stay concealed.

I keep mine concealed as well. But I don't panic if I'm reaching for a box of Cheerios on the top shelf at Publix and some nervous nancy sees my firearm when my shirt lifts a little. I'm legal, she can get over it. :hyper:

I cary open when I am at, or around the house.

Walking from my truck to a store, I have it open, for all to see.....and once I get to the front door, I conceal it.

Also while pumping gas, I open carry.

I don't buy into "the one who has an exposed gun will get the first bullet", the only reason I conceal inside a store, is the shock factor of all the Soccer moms. I would love to carry like Wyatt Earp, everywhere.

I keep mine concealed as well. But I don't panic if I'm reaching for a box of Cheerios on the top shelf at Publix and some nervous nancy sees my firearm when my shirt lifts a little. I'm legal, she can get over it. :hyper:

Has that ever happened to anyone? I always was nervous about that too (still am). But I think people don't want to see a gun (unless they are carrying themselves) and so unconsciously block it out.

I keep thinking if I see someone carrying I'll blurt out "Oh god, he's got a gun!" and see what happens.

• Administrator

I've had my gun expose itself when I bent over to pick up a few cases of bottled water at Wal-Mart once. A lady behind me was standing there staring when I stood back up, so I just smiled and tugged my shirt back down over it and said "Ma'am" as I walked past her.

Really it should have been a "Duh" revelation to her. We were in Wal-Mart. In Smyrna. Of COURSE there's gonna be people carrying guns in there. :hyper:

Guest bluecanary25

I have been carrying for 10 years. It's my " 'Merican Express" - don't leave without it.

I feels naked without something weighty on me...

I mostly conceal carry in public.

But there are times it is a bother to cover up.

People's reaction to firearms varies. but no panic situations, yet... :hyper:

I think much depends on your attire/attitude and having a holster.

I get fewer "looks" when I am wearing a shirt & tie than when I'm in jeans.

Being old and fat, guess sheeple assume I'm a responsible citizen :clap:

YMMV.

I cary open when I am at, or around the house.

Walking from my truck to a store, I have it open, for all to see.....and once I get to the front door, I conceal it.

Also while pumping gas, I open carry.

I don't buy into "the one who has an exposed gun will get the first bullet", the only reason I conceal inside a store, is the shock factor of all the Soccer moms. I would love to carry like Wyatt Earp, everywhere.

I hope you dont become a statistic. It would be common sense for a BG that rushed in somewhere would probably be behind you and seeing your firearm would shoot immediately. It is unrealistic to think you are always going to have 100% situational awareness and get the jump on someone that is commiting crime on a "whim". Most likely you would be shot and your gun stolen and used on another innocent. Just a thought.

Guest Bronker

Interestingly enough, I also have come to the realization that the one who is the most paranoid about being made...is me. Not because I'm doing anything wrong, because all essence of the law states I have a granted right to carry this thing...it's more the need for me to maintain the element of concealment. Even after 9 years of carry. When I pocket-carry, I don't think twice. But my primary has become a larger gun, that is most comfortable OWB. With that, I'm more cautious about reaching and bending, etc. I'm getting less and less anxious about it every day, but for a while I just knew everyone was 'spotting me' and would yell 'he's got a gun!!!:tinfoil:'

However, this perceived 'paranoia' has just become an aspect of my situational awareness overall. Being cognizant of the weapon and maintaining its concealment helps my innate senses to maintain my own level of preparedness and the element of surprise.

Even myself, intentionally looking at people everywhere, I have 'made' very, very few people who weren't carrying OWB. Which tells me that the general public, as a rule are oblivious to it, especially if it is concealed, however poorly.

Very obvious to me this weekend. At Mother's Day lunch, I spent a few hours with several of my brothers-in-law, all hunters, a few HCP'd. My father in law is even retired MP and now a county constable. I'm standing there, carrying my XD OWB, and partially covered with an untucked T-shirt. Even as we stood and TALKED about guns, and HCP!!!!, they never even noticed my gun. I had to show them the thing!!!

If that crowd is oblivious... I have little to worry about john q. public.

At least I'm starting to believe that...:clap::hyper:

Guest darkstar
Has that ever happened to anyone? I always was nervous about that too (still am). But I think people don't want to see a gun (unless they are carrying themselves) and so unconsciously block it out.

I keep thinking if I see someone carrying I'll blurt out "Oh god, he's got a gun!" and see what happens.

I had a gust of wind blow aside a button down shirt I was wearing over a T shirt that exposed my Sig in it's holster a couple of weeks ago in the parking lot at the Kroger in Antioch....it was right in front of the door and a couple of people noticed, one little old lady kind of gave me the stink eye but said nothing, and one younger kid just kind of stared but also said nothing. I think you are right, they don't want to see a gun and even if they do they just kind of clam up about it.

Of course if I was in Green Hills or some other ritzy place I'm sure some trophy wife or soccer mom would have fainted or called Metro, but down in LA (lower Antioch) it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

A couple of my neighbors have seen me with a pistol on or carrying out my (cased) AR or shotgun and have expressed interest and wanted to know about getting a HCP or a good gun store (I tell 'em you Rabbi). But generally I don't like to advertise I am carrying or that I own guns...you never know what someone might say to someone and then next thing you've been robbed of your firearms, but if someone notices I feel like too bad it's their problem...but like I said I don't go around making it easy for folks to notice.

Has your attitude towards guns changed since you began carrying? I have been carrying daily for over 8 years now. In the beginning the gun seemed somehow more important, putting it on was an act of risk that required a lot of thought.

Today I don't consider it much more than a cell phone. And the idea that a gov't somewhere would want to tell me whether and how and when I can carry makes about as much sense as telling me how I can use my cell phone.

i wear mine like i wear my cell phone, but Rabbi i did not think in tn. they could tell one how to wear his or her weapon. correct me if i am wrong.

nosnos ... That feeling takes a while to shake, but the more you carry the more you will realize that most people never even consider that those around them may be armed. Unless you do a horrible job of covering your sidearm, 99.9999999% of the people you encounter each day won't even think to look much less actually notice that you have a firearm concealed.

Eventually you may even find yourself not caring if they do notice. That's where I'm at these days. In Tennessee, it is a handgun carry permit not a concealment permit. If someone notices and I'm in an area where I am legally allowed to carry, it's their problem. Not mine. :)

Totally agree with 100% of this post.

I was self-consicious at first, but it passed.

As far as being the first shot if you OC....still waiting even one verifiable report of this.