"Glock Haters"

Guest No Ammo

Graycrait, I think you may need to seek help for your addiction! ;)

or man up and complete the set... 18!

Mac

FWIW, I don't hate anybody, but I completely turn off my brain when someone starts up the "XXXX brand is the best (or worst) whatever." I'm glad they have a favourite, just don't try to convert me to your side. I spent a metric spit-ton of my own money and time figuring out what is best for me. If you ask me, I'll tell you my experience, but I'll never tell you what to buy. That's your responsibility.

ETA: The above post contains a startling level of irony and hypocrisy!

Edited by McAllyn
Guest 6.8 AR

or man up and complete the set... 18!

Mac

FWIW, I don't hate anybody, but I completely turn off my brain when someone starts up the "XXXX brand is the best (or worst) whatever." I'm glad they have a favourite, just don't try to convert me to your side. I spent a metric spit-ton of my own money and time figuring out what is best for me. If you ask me, I'll tell you my experience, but I'll never tell you what to buy. That's your responsibility.

ETA: The above post contains a startling level of irony and hypocrisy!

I like the way you said it. :D

I just don't prefer the grip angle. I guess I could fix that and get used to it but why add more work

This kept me from Glocks for the longest time. After using one through a shooting course for a few weeks I drank the Kool-Aid. They are great guns once you get used to the grip angle in terms of acquiring sight picture. It wasn't easy at first... had to put a lot of rounds in the first couple days to get the muscle memory. It messes me up when I shoot a 1911 now of course. My sight alignment/sight picture is based on muscle memory, so in theory I should be able to present my pistol with my eyes closed, then open them up and have good sight alignment. After shooting a Glock for a couple weeks straight I could no longer do this with my 1911 without doing a few dry runs first. Now that I'm back in 1911 mode, I'm sure I can't pick up my Glock and do the same without a little practice first.

I like Glocks and M&P's, both. The Glock 26, 33, 36 and 21 Gen4 are my carry/shooters and the M&P 45c and 9 fit my hand a little bit better. The Glock is a accurate and reliable gun but the grip ergonomics could be improved, that's why I have some M&P's. The slim carry of the G36 replaces my Kahr PM9 on occasion when I want a bigger caliber. The PM9 is one up on Glock/M&P due to its size and mag capacity for a small gun.

The grip angle is the one thing I had NO trouble with. I fell into that the first time I shot my 19. All I could say is how stupid I was and the time I wasted.

Holding a 1911 feels like I'm holding a framing square.

That's why I think they are great guns for first timers. The grip angle is actually quite ergonomic as it makes the slide more parallel to your forearm, which, in theory, should aid in easier sight alignment and recoil management. The rest of us have just been using more perpendicular grip angles our whole lives and have a hard time adjusting.

Since they came out with the Gen4s that fit my little girly hands, the grip angle is the only major thing I can complain about. I added a Grip Force Adapter and that helps, but it still feels a little unnatural when I switch from any other gun to the Glock at the range.

I think a previous post hit the nail on the head, Glock fanboys make more people hate Glocks than the guns do. Likewise overzealous fanatics of anything turn me off, even if they have good intentions to start with.

Who you callin' a first timer? :P

Seriously, the grip angle and bore position take much from the Luger. The bore sits very low, which is a good thing too.

Haha, no offense intended at all. I was saying that if I had to suggest/teach someone that had never handled a pistol before it'd be a Glock. Of course, my Glock is collecting dust again now that I roll 8+1 in my 1911. I can't get the first round out of my Glock as quickly as my 1911.

I got no problem with Glocks. They are fantastic weapons. The only problem I have is with people you meet at the range, or dealers that drank the Glock-aid. They can be quite annoying. They seem not to understand that if Colt sucked they would not be in business for over 100 years, and if Beretta sucked they would not be in business after almost 500 years. People, in general, are narrow minded I think.

the Glock-aid, i want some of this!!! :cheers:

Guest 6.8 AR

I have a problem with those who think other's guns suck. Childish.

If someone comes over to my place at the range, I ask them if they want to try one.

I think these guns suck:) Arminus, RG, Bryco, Lorcin, Jennings

I don't think all of their models "suck." I will concede that some of their models are problematic. In fact, most of those manufacturers had certain models that were very problematic. They were made of materials that sometimes couldn't handle larger calibers the way they were designed, especially if a lot of rounds were fired through them. The early RG .22 revolvers were certainly extremely low quality, but the later RG models were much better and decent little plinkers. The Bryco and Jennings .22lr and .25acp pistols are actually decent little shooters for the money. Again, that phrase is the key thing to remember...."for the money." That's not to say that they run flawlessly, and they may be ammo picky, but I have much more expensive pistols that occasionaly have hiccups and are also ammo picky. I guess I just don't expect as much from these little inexpensive pistols, and I have actually been surprised how good they can sometimes be. Although they certainly aren't intended to be range pistols, I know a guy that put over 14,000 rounds through a Jimenez JA-22 pistol (successor to the Bryco and Jennings J-22 pistols) before it needed to repaired by the factory. For a pistol that costs a little over $100, that is pretty impressive.
  • 1 month later...

Carried a Walther PPK/S for years. Easy to conceal but tricky to maintain. Then carried a Browning Hi-Power overseas which I really liked. Was forced to carry a Glock 17 when it was introduced but hated it. Saw several people shoot their leg drawing from concealed carry with the G17. Then carried a 1911 Colt which was too damn finnicky about ammo it liked. Now I carry a Glock 36 and have a Glock 30 in the vehicle. They're both easy to maintain, like most types of ammo, and have never had a jam or failure to feed. I also believe that if someone needs to be shot they need to be shot with at least a 45 acp or larger. I've seen several folks get center mass hit with a 9mm and keep on booking.