Why do I go into Gander Mountain?

My place of work is on Lovell Road and I will occasionally go through Turkey Creek and stop by Gouger Mountain on the way home. I used to do so to look at their long guns as they would sometimes have things that I don't see, elsewhere. However, that was when the long gun racks were all out on the sales floor and I don't do that now that the long guns are behind a counter and you have to ask to see them. Consequently, my visits there have been cut down from about once a month to about once every six months.

The only good thing I can really say about them when it comes to guns/ammo is that they will sometimes have ammo that no one else stocks or they will sometimes get 'new' types of ammo before anyone else. For instance, I bought a box of Gold Dot .22WMR ammo there shortly after it first came out. I don't recall having seen any of that ammo anywhere else, yet - I've seen the Hornady Critical Defense stuff (which, in my informal water jug testing, didn't do quite as well as the Gold Dot) elsewhere but not the Gold Dot. They also used to have pretty good prices on Silver Bear 7.62X54R - not sure if they still do or even if they still stock it.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

in regards to the earlier post that stated they had tried to negotiate a deal and the gun clerk said they didnt have to because they were the biggest gun store...blah blah blah...

its only going to get WORSE!! within the next 3 months Gander will be TRIPLING the size of their gun dept and expand it basically to cover the entire back part of the store ((speaking of the one in Knoxville, Turkey Creek)) they CLAIM they will be the LARGEST gun store//seller in the ENTIRE SOUTH EAST?!?!

cant image what prices they will try to put on stickers then....with the BIG HEAD will come even BIGGER price tags I am sure?

however, I did hear that if you were an employee you do get CRAZY deals and breaks on firearms....

Guest jwrench75

I stopped by the one in Jackson while in town for a wedding last month. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the gen 4 glock 26 for $150 more than I had just paid for one at guns and leather. I grabbed a little bottle of hopps #9, checked out and made a swift exit.

I do it every time. I'm in the Hell that is Turkey Creek, driving by and I think "I'll go in for a minute and see if they have any ammo on sale." THEY NEVER DO!!! In fact, their ammo prices are DOUBLE, that's right, double what Walmart sells for. My jaw dropped when I saw a 100rnd box of 9mm Federal for 44$! However, I still walk through the door. It must be something about how it's laid out or some sort of hypnotism. Anyway, I need to stop going in because it's always disappointing when I do.

I'm pretty sure it's because it's a large sporting good store. If you want to really see something funny, take a look at their "sales"

http://slickdeals.net/da/mem-i/p51806402/k43105/u246116/r-9999

You can get much lower prices at Academy.

agree. I always find Ganders pricing on 9mm to be $14.99 or more. Academy has some as low at $9 or $10, but what I really like is recently they had 147gr Flat Nose TMJ (Speer) 9mm for $12.99. Picked up several boxes of that for IDPA.

in regards to the earlier post that stated they had tried to negotiate a deal and the gun clerk said they didnt have to because they were the biggest gun store...blah blah blah...

its only going to get WORSE!! within the next 3 months Gander will be TRIPLING the size of their gun dept and expand it basically to cover the entire back part of the store ((speaking of the one in Knoxville, Turkey Creek)) they CLAIM they will be the LARGEST gun store//seller in the ENTIRE SOUTH EAST?!?!

cant image what prices they will try to put on stickers then....with the BIG HEAD will come even BIGGER price tags I am sure?

however, I did hear that if you were an employee you do get CRAZY deals and breaks on firearms....

Was at a Gander Mtn down in West Palm Beach, FL back in April. They had what they called "Gun World" in the store. Over 4000 guns in stock. Basically ever major handgun supplier, all models in the case, all colors, all calibers. It was rather impressive, but definitely no price breaks. If the Turkey Creek store does that, it will be nice to window shop and drool, but that's about it.

Guest rebeldrummer

was at a Gander Mtn down in West Palm Beach, FL back in April. They had what they called "Gun World" in the store. Over 4000 guns in stock. Basically ever major handgun supplier, all models in the case, all colors, all calibers. It was rather impressive, but definitely no price breaks. If the Turkey Creek store does that, it will be nice to window shop and drool, but that's about it.

agreed...the figure thrown around was 4000 here as well....we shall see.

Guest rebeldrummer

I'm betting that Bud's Gun Shop sells a LOT more firearms than the GM at Turkey Creek. Just sayin'...

just agreein'

Guest bkelm18

That's funny, I once met feller from out of town in parking lot of the Knoxville store for same purpose also.

- OS

Yep I've done a couple deals there myself.

Guest bkelm18

I figure you're less likely to have someone freak out if they see someone handling a gun in the parking lot of a place that sells them.

Guest bkelm18

when i drive through jackson i allways stop. don't know why, i don't spend any money. just walk around and bitch about the high prices. i don't see how they stay in business.

People with too much money and too little brains.

I do it every time. I'm in the Hell that is Turkey Creek, driving by and I think "I'll go in for a minute and see if they have any ammo on sale." THEY NEVER DO!!! In fact, their ammo prices are DOUBLE, that's right, double what Walmart sells for. My jaw dropped when I saw a 100rnd box of 9mm Federal for 44$! However, I still walk through the door. It must be something about how it's laid out or some sort of hypnotism. Anyway, I need to stop going in because it's always disappointing when I do.

Maybe you just enjoy pain and abuse.

I went into Benton Shooter Supply on a Friday to pick up a Shield that I had my name on the list for. There were 8 people ahead of me to have their check done. Now those folks sell a bunch of guns. The prices aren't bad either. They still have to pay the light bill. But they don't do it with one sale.

Guest Riverrat

When the store opened in Jackson I got a sales flier not one since. But I saves 5 dollars a gallon on 2 cycle oil I bought 5 cases. Then my son wanted to go fishing with some friends. Their 1 pound bag of split shot sinkers was 75 cents more than a little pack. Only 2 things I've bought from them. It's a nice clean store to look but not buy.

Edited by Riverrat